The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:39:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tung Sol Tips  (Read 5707 times)
W6WAC

« on: May 17, 2015, 11:34:42 PM »

I have heard and read RCA and GE Ham Tips but is there a Tung Sol Tips?  I was looking thru an early issue of 73 Magazine (June '62) and there is a reference to Tung Sol Tips (issue #20) in one of the articles titled "More FM to AM".  Searching the internet revealed nothing other than about the tubes themselves.  Did they really exist and was it comparable to the GE and RCA?

Scott
KA6FZT
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 03:25:26 AM »

They exist.

Try page 20, April 1961: http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Radio_Electronics%20_Master_Page.htm

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:36:12 PM »

I really like that site. The only criticism is that some of the interesting text in the ads is too poor to read, for example dynamotor listings with model, price, volts, amps, etc. I realize this is available elsewhere, however consider all of the ad text as being quite interesting, and also quite small, so the scan was not high enough to get all of it.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 12:26:41 AM »

I really like that site. The only criticism is that some of the interesting text in the ads is too poor to read, for example dynamotor listings with model, price, volts, amps, etc. I realize this is available elsewhere, however consider all of the ad text as being quite interesting, and also quite small, so the scan was not high enough to get all of it.

Do you have an example? Using the Radio-Electronics, March 1961, on page 4 at the bottom, I was able to read the small print.

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 08:15:54 AM »

I was also able to read the pages in several evolving resolutions as I magnified the images on an iPad.

Read in iBooks which auto saved the pages read.  Amazing machine.

Tnx fer link Pete. Can't stop perusing the old issues now. Very nostalgic..  ..a simpler world of happy, optimistic and unlimited future expectation.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 02:52:53 AM »

Do you have an example? Using the Radio-Electronics, March 1961, on page 4 at the bottom, I was able to read the small print.

Sure. Radio Electronics 1948 OCT, page 10. The top center, Dynamotors, and to the left, Voltage Regulator.

It could be just that the magazine was old, but what I see looks more like a true monochrome, white or black only, not gray scale, and the text is a bit chopped up there because maybe of a threshold setting as required for scanning to 1-color images or for smallest file size. But I can't say what was done. just what I see.

For this I might have done it in 8 bit gray or at least 16 level (4 bits) gray and accepted some background 'noise' in case the pages were faded or browning. I never use true mono schemes for this reason of small text and detail issues. I mean these comments in a constructive way.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 11:41:50 AM »

Sure. Radio Electronics 1948 OCT, page 10. The top center, Dynamotors, and to the left, Voltage Regulator.

It could be just that the magazine was old, but what I see looks more like a true monochrome, white or black only, not gray scale, and the text is a bit chopped up there because maybe of a threshold setting as required for scanning to 1-color images or for smallest file size. But I can't say what was done. just what I see.

For this I might have done it in 8 bit gray or at least 16 level (4 bits) gray and accepted some background 'noise' in case the pages were faded or browning. I never use true mono schemes for this reason of small text and detail issues. I mean these comments in a constructive way.

Taking the first several lines:
Mfr. Raytheon: Navy CRP 304407, Pri 112-138 v. 15 amps 57 to 63 ......etc.

I would suspect it's mainly the print quality of the ad. It was probably a cut/paste from some other source when the entire ad was put together. I would also suspect the majority of the readers care more about the quality and readability of the articles rather then from some ad on surplus equipment in one corner of a page.

WB2CAU

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 05:06:28 PM »

I would also suspect the majority of the readers care more about the quality and readability of the articles rather then from some ad on surplus equipment in one corner of a page.

I would suspect that everyone's idea of nostalgia is different.  I find the advertisements in the old magazines just as interesting as the articles.  When I scan anything, I try my best to preserve everything so I scan at the highest resolution where all print is clearly discernible.   Low resolution scans of historical information are disappointing to me.  It detracts from the enjoyment.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 02:12:30 PM »

Pete,

Thanks for the R/E link.   My first magazine subscription as a kid.

Everyone else in school had comic books.   I had schematics!

--Shane
KD6VXI
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 10:58:06 PM »

Despite my criticism, I sure enjoy that site.

I didn't find the Tung Sol newsletters there, but I hope they are available and preserved somewhere. I've never had one in-hand.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015