The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:16:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dayton photos  (Read 6704 times)
K4NYW
Contributing

« on: May 18, 2015, 01:27:13 PM »

Some boatanchors I saw at Dayton - started taking photos Friday late so missed all the Thursday and Friday AM stuff that traded.
http://www.virhistory.com/ham/dayton-15.htm

Cheers,
Nick K4NYW

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 01:32:09 PM »

Thanks Nick for posting the pictures.  A lot of gear for sure! 

I could have used the Tektronix scope cart shown in the last picture.  A friend just gave me a Tektronic Curve Tracer and it would fit perfect on that cart! 

Joe-GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:20:03 PM »

My feet started to hurt as I viewed the pix. You logged some miles to take all those photos! Thanks Nick.
W6TOM
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 11:19:26 PM »

Good Pics, thanks, always enjoy looking at swaps from around the country.
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 11:58:06 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to make all the pics.  It's  nice for guys like me that couldn't be there.  The SP-600s seemed to have been well represented.
N8IE
Contributing

Bullies need love too, hug me or I'll punch you!

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 07:04:17 AM »

Nice pics Nick.
The picture of the beautiful Viking Valiant next to the SX-100 is mine, that's me on the right in the cowboy hat. Also you have pics of my SX-122, SX-99, and my FT-401B station!

Dan, N8IE

For just $1 a month you can save a Ham from SSB.
Please give to AMfone today, I did!

Remember, Hams don't let Ham's run SSB...
Dan, N8IE
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 07:34:40 PM »

Nice WX for once. I saw some good deals in the pics and then deals that needed money.
Probably go there with about a grand and a little pick up truck and have a ball.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W8KHZ

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 07:41:11 PM »

I bought the Collins R-388 you have pictured... nice radio!

Currently running a big homebrew transmitter (pair of 250THs modulated by a pair of 810s) paired up with a National HRO-50.  I also run a BC-610-I / NC-2-40D combo which is a lot of fun too.

Catch you on 75M AM!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 09:28:54 PM »

Nice WX for once. I saw some good deals in the pics and then deals that needed money.

You half to look at the ground in some of the pictures. They had some brief showers (then hot and humid) on Friday; can't remember if someone said it also rained a bit on Saturday. Not uncommon.

Probably go there with about a grand and a little pick up truck and have a ball.

Fred

With just a grand, a red wagon would probably work.  Grin Remember this is Dayton.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 12:39:22 PM »

You half to look at the ground in some of the pictures. They had some brief showers (then hot and humid) on Friday; can't remember if someone said it also rained a bit on Saturday. Not uncommon.

Fred

With just a grand, a red wagon would probably work.  Grin Remember this is Dayton.

Yeow!! Then this would be one ham who doesn't need to make the trip and pilgrimage to Dayton. I'll go to Butler fester here in Pa.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 12:42:32 PM »

Fred

Yeow!! Then this would be one ham who doesn't need to make the trip and pilgrimage to Dayton. I'll go to Butler fester here in Pa.
Fred

The butler hamfest is a great hamfest. I've been there twice. If it wasn't for the 6 hour plus ride one way, I'd go more often.

w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 12:49:54 PM »

Fred

Unless things have changed radically in the last two or three years, there are probably still bargains to be found at Dayton.  I know there are folks who price their treasures such that they can plan to take them back home on Sunday.  But I have brought home some nice items that were priced fairly, no different than any local fest. 

The great thing about Dayton is the mass variety.  They say if you cannot find it in Dayton, it probably doesn't exist.  I have been looking for a National NC-101X for quite some time, but have not found a nice one yet.  To me, it is a neat looking radio, kind of like an HRO without having to mess with changing coils.  The built-in power supply and push-pull audio is a plus, and it does not weigh in like an R390.  I did not see one in any of the pictures from this year, so maybe it is unobtanium.  I will continue looking.  Would also be nice to find a decent HP 606A generator too.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 01:27:51 PM »

I saw a NC-101X for sale at a local NJ hamfest back in April. Don't recall the asking price but it did find a new home.  I picked up a HP-606A several years ago for $5 with bad meters. A "Want" on one of the Reflectors brought me two meters from a parts rig for the cost of postage.

Having been a vendor at Dayton for over 20 years, there are bargains to be found if you're at the right place and at the right time. Many of the bargains and/or unique stuff changes hands between vendors on Thursday the day before the opening bell. With Dayton, the stuff comes from everywhere and most of the time you're really never sure of its history unless you know the vendor and he/she is willing to share it with you, and if they even know. With local hamfests here in the Northeast being fairly frequent, the chances of seeing the same vendor on multiple occasions is good so it's less likely the vendors will misrepresent or be vague about what they are selling. A number of my "unique buys" over the years have come from local hamfests. Given the amount of people that attend Dayton, it's a perfect opportunity to dump stuff that you would have a hard time selling, or a much longer time to sell off,  at local hamfests. Personally, I much prefer to support local hamfests. Dayton had its run for many years. It's now the brunt of a 101 jokes, the facility is crumbling, inside vendors piss and moan about it each year, and outside vendors do what they do each year.

w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 08:34:39 PM »

I saw a NC-101X for sale at a local NJ hamfest back in April. Don't recall the asking price but it did find a new home.  I picked up a HP-606A several years ago for $5 with bad meters. A "Want" on one of the Reflectors brought me two meters from a parts rig for the cost of postage.

Having been a vendor at Dayton for over 20 years, there are bargains to be found if you're at the right place and at the right time. Many of the bargains and/or unique stuff changes hands between vendors on Thursday the day before the opening bell. With Dayton, the stuff comes from everywhere and most of the time you're really never sure of its history unless you know the vendor and he/she is willing to share it with you, and if they even know. With local hamfests here in the Northeast being fairly frequent, the chances of seeing the same vendor on multiple occasions is good so it's less likely the vendors will misrepresent or be vague about what they are selling. A number of my "unique buys" over the years have come from local hamfests. Given the amount of people that attend Dayton, it's a perfect opportunity to dump stuff that you would have a hard time selling, or a much longer time to sell off,  at local hamfests. Personally, I much prefer to support local hamfests. Dayton had its run for many years. It's now the brunt of a 101 jokes, the facility is crumbling, inside vendors piss and moan about it each year, and outside vendors do what they do each year.

Pete, thanks for the info on the NC and HP gear.  I will keep looking.  I met you in Dayton, I think it was in 2010 if memory serves me correctly. 

You got a great deal on the 606, it is a workhorse, and for working the HF receivers I don't want to put the wear and tear on my 8640.  I have a 606, and am looking for one for a friend.  I agree about all the issues with Dayton, and I do prefer the local fests too.  Even though I live near Atlanta, I have been to the Mullica Hill fest many times. 

I grew up in central New Jersey.  I wanted to go to NearFest this year, but I had a commitment in Virginia that I needed to satisfy.  Maybe in the fall.  Berryville and Virginia Beach are on my list this year. 

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015