The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:28:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 5000 on A.M. with an Amp?  (Read 15565 times)
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2015, 03:43:13 PM »

If you monitor yourself, is there echo or delay?
I thought the delay problem was fixed as no one says its bad on CW like it used to be.
With a good computer and the right settings, I could get the delay very low, so you could monitor your audio without delay.

The 5000 on receive was very good, not sure how much better it could be....

I looked at the current Yeasu, Icom and Elecraft radios and you have to spend more then a 6300 cost to get a decent radio.
Was thinking about the ftdx1200 till I read the power output setting is in a menu, not on a knob.
WA2SQQ
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 08:55:24 AM »

CW operation is incredibly better - FSK works just fine.
On phone, you can hear a very slight delay, which varies depending on the filtering and processing you choose.
The new 6000 radios do all the processing in the radio, so the delay that was associated with the network connection and PC processing is gone.

I think the Flex haters, the "forum trolls", use such topics to simply stir the pot and try to cause controversy.
WA9NQW

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 09:38:57 AM »

On phone, you can hear a very slight delay, which varies depending on the filtering and processing you choose.
The new 6000 radios do all the processing in the radio, so the delay that was associated with the network connection and PC processing is gone.

I think the Flex haters, the "forum trolls", use such topics to simply stir the pot and try to cause controversy.

You mean Dick?

http://dilbert.com/strip/2015-04-02

Jack
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 11:20:11 AM »

"Stirring the pot" should not be a problem if there are valid reasons. Latency and various other delays were a known issue in the previous generation of rigs depending on your configuration and equipment. The current series has greatly reduced those issues, but for some, although reduced, is still a valid concern in their style of operating. Being passive and accepting what's not quite right doesn't bring about changes.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 03:17:53 PM »

In the end I found the problem. The Firewire PCI Express card retaining screw to the computer cardcage was about 1 turn from tight. The Firewire cable had multiple ferrite clamp on beads over it too. This is the Crux of a lot of problems people experience with the Flex3K/5K. Speculation appears to suggest that the Fireware cable at the computer side needs a robust RF path to the computer chassis. How to to that is another question.

Jim
Wd5JKO

Hi Jim,

Nice job tracking down the loose retaining screw. Having run full legal limit from 160-10 meters with a Flex 5000 and now with an ANAN-100 I can say that I had a few adventures tracking down the causes of RF ingress. Once I bonded the SDR, the computer, and the external audio chain to a common point on the ground bar at the back of the bench most of it went away. I also found that using a 1:1 600 ohm transformer at the line input of the SDR helped to keep RF out.

One tool that helped me more than anything else was a field strength meter. I powered up the rig and amplifier, dumped around 500 watts onto an empty frequency and then held the field strength meter near every wire and cable that entered and exited the station. I found the last RF path into the station using that method. This one was quite a pain because on 160 meters my "touch control" Samsung monitor was powering down randomly while I transmitted. Of course this is more than inconvenient when you need the screen to see the operating software! At any rate, it turned that RF was flowing back to the operating desk along the rotor cable which terminated in the Rotor control box that sits neatly right under the "touch control" power button of the monitor. At the window threshold where the cable enters the station I looped the rotor cable several times and snapped a few big mix-31 ferrites over it. That cured it and I have not had a trace of RF feedback issues for several years now with the SDR stuff.

At any rate, I hope you can enjoy your Flex without any further RF ingress issues!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2015, 08:06:21 PM »

So can you listen to yourself in a mod monitor without sounding like you have brain damage?
I could get the flex 5k fine with a fast computer and small buffers...

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015