The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:30:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking II string and pulley  (Read 2203 times)
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« on: March 01, 2015, 05:57:08 AM »

Earlier this month (whoops, last month) , I had discovered the audio driver transformer in my Viking II literally coming apart.   There was a previous post about it.  Some epoxy and clamps and she's looking good and back in place.   When I went to test the transmitter I noticed the fine loading control didn't feel right and discovered the string came loose off of the pulley.  *palm to forehead*  Actually my audio sounds pretty darn good again and I don't hear the fizzing and buzzing but I really haven't tested it too much because I have to use pliers on the fine tuning cap shaft until I figure out how to restring this thing.  

My gut feeling is that the all the knobs and the front panel will have to come off so that I can properly access the string and pulley system.  Is my hunch correct or am I missing something here?  The only thing I kinda worry about in tearing it down this way is all the "set" screws and the plastic knobs.... some seem to be very tight and forcing too much might crack some of my knobs.  Any tips on how to safely remove the knobs if they seem reluctant?

AMI#1684
kb1prg

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 10:49:30 AM »

Try to put a slight amount of CPL Break Free on the set screw. This will help in freeing up the set screw> but be very carefull as over the years these knobs become very easy to break. As you get the knobs off soak them in some hot water and dawn dish soap. This helps clean the knob up scrub them with a tooth brush. let them soak for an hour or so . If they are really bad it might take a few soakings.   Good Luck.

Tim KB1PRG
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 02:09:32 PM »

Any light oil, WD-40 etc.   Give it time to work!!  Like a few days to a week.  Reapply oil on second day.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 05:45:23 PM »

Okay.  Running and maintaining this old gear really does teach some patience!   Thanks for the tips.... I'll shoot some oil in them and let them sit.   Much appreciated!

AMI#1684
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015