The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:50:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FIXED: Broke my Valiant  (Read 11580 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 05:02:54 PM »

to detect RF in a tank coil and sometimes even a fluorescent tube.

Do you hang the tube on the antenna for your neighbors pleasure?

As a Novice, I tied two fluorescent tubes, one on each end of my 40 meter dipole. Great for CW work at night and was told it looked weird. After several visits from neighbors, my father ordered me to take them down.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 06:57:20 PM »

As much as I enjoy scaring my neighbors with visions of UFOs surrounding my log periodic antenna.................back to our originally scheduled program:

We now have a 1KC audio signal going all the way from the two-pin audio input jack to the output. Yay! The issue then became no audio when speaking into the microphone. Who cares? The Valiant itself is out of its shell, but working. While it was unclothed I ordered a couple of 3B28 rectifiers to replace the mercury vapor 866 tubes. Why not? It was unclothed anyway anyway. That led to ordering a bunch of 6146 tubes. I figured get them while I can. I digress. The audio chain in the Valiant is alive and well. Not sure what changed, but it is what it is. Now I suspect I killed either a W2IHY 8-Band Equalizer and or my Kenwood MC-60A microphone. Using a backup EV 638 I now have normal audio through the rig, bypassing the equalizer. Being connector challenged, I can't tell if the mic or equalizer is bad, but we are getting there! The transmitter will remain out of its shell until I receive the 3B28s and then back into its case it goes.

Thanks to all for the support and tips. This has been a learning experience for me, not a bad thing. My intimate knowledge of the venerable Valiant is now greatly enhanced.

NB: the audio input pin on the two-pin connector may have been pushed in. Not sure, but I think I pushed it back out with the scope probe. That could explain a lot!

n1ps
Contributing

websdr http://sebagolakesdr.us:8901/

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2015, 10:11:34 PM »

I took the case off my Valiant years ago.  There is no concern for TVI these days.  I rebuilt it with lots of mods, but left the 866s as I must admit I like the purple glowage. Roll Eyes

I actually did create TVI a few years back with a 6M Gonset.  Had to add the missing LPF.  So THAT was why it was there.

Pete - LMAO with your 40 meter dipole story!

~ps
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 11:55:46 AM »

I also like the magic purple glow, but the inevitability of flashback and my relationship with Murphy dictated the change  Grin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015