The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:18:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old boat anchor No 19 on 40M  (Read 16038 times)
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« on: February 24, 2015, 10:55:04 AM »

I have revived my No 19 WS and will be trying it on 40M around 7290kcs during the next couple of days. I am running it as an exciter for my parallel pair 811A amp. If you hear me pse reply or want to sked a contact pse do. I will be talking and listening on it.
don

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
VE3LYX

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 12:33:58 PM »

No replies this morning but there was a lot of hlring so I am going to drop down now and try on 7285kcs.
don

VE3LYX

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 09:01:03 PM »

Over the past week I have been running it barefoot through a Hb antenna matcher. According to my non scientific measurements(7.5 watt light bulb) I am getting close to 7 watts out on AM (specs are 5 to 6) lately I am getting replies almost every time. And from fairly far away. Average is around 280 miles out ATCF. One a bit farther. That was this evening on 7290kcs. I am running on battery power for most of it with a vibrator supply. If you hear me on please comeback. I won't hog your time. Just want to see how far I can get.  And to all who have so far. Thank you!
don  

* lildummy.jpg (73.16 KB, 448x336 - viewed 951 times.)

* my no 19.jpg (61.34 KB, 365x274 - viewed 954 times.)

VE1PYE

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 08:05:27 PM »

Very Nice Don,
I have a pair of 19sets I have tried a few times on the air with the varometer and a wireless remote control unit for the audio. Its tough running one barefoot for sure.
  I'd try one more often, but it requires quite a setup and space to get it all together!

Jason VE1PYE
VE3LYX

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 10:24:52 PM »

Hi Jason, Nice call letters. My dad was chief engineer of Pye Canada in the mid 1960s. During WWII he was an instructor of wireless mechanics at No 1 Wireless School and often told me I should have a No 19 set. I opted for a no 11 instead. (didnt and still don't like the extra Russian lettering on the Canadian lend lease sets)These two radios I got by default. I had no accessories so I had to make them. A couple of things I learned  and I learned them first on my ARC5s. These Militarys sets are designed to operate into a too short antenna. In the 19s case, a 8 foot whip.  So I decided not to find and use the variometer because I think it is not capable of mating a proper ham antenna to the radio. I built the little antenna tuner shown with its dummy load glowing. I believe it is the key to my success so far.  I originally built it for my ARC5 transmitter. Anyway enough of that. Anytime you wish to try a sked let me know. I will be there listening for you. My goal is a No 19 to No 19 QSO. I listen and try on 7290kcs. I wait till conditions and signals are good. If we wanted we could do a 19 to 19 test on 7280kcs out of everyones way.
don 

WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 10:06:20 PM »

It was fun to bump into you and work you on the 19 yesterday Don. A little downward drift started to move you into some QRM below us, but I was able to shift the passband on the flex and pull you out. Hope to work you on it again some day when conditions are a little better.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
VE3LYX

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 12:25:22 PM »

Kevin I really appreciated your efforts. I am having more fun on this rig then I ever dreamed possible. This morning in not the greatest of conditions (some fadding)I worked Jerry in Bangor Mne (K1GUP) Like yourself he made the extra effort to work me. He is currently my best DX at 417.6 miles ATCF. Someone here when I first got it said a friend in Calif. had worked near 400 miles on a No 19 barefoot and hooked me up by email so I could find out how. Basically he encouraged me to keep at it and keep rubbing on it. With just near 6 watts out on AM I am stoked at this. It is though, folks like you who take the time and make the extra effort that make this possible. There is no DX without replies. Thank you.
don

W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 01:04:26 PM »

Recording of No. 19 with 6 watts -mid-morning 4/9/15-    I didn't have the transmitter fired up, but making it to New Jersey!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17340243/VE3LYX%20-40-Meters-6%20Watts.mp3

Good stuff,
Jeff W2NBC

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015