The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:16:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a modulator  (Read 18467 times)
W4RFM

« on: February 11, 2015, 09:09:03 PM »

I am taking a break from restoring the Globe King, to build a 250 watt modulator. (Yes I am trying again !)
Anyway, this is the layout I am thinking about. trying to keep the input audio as far as possible away from the AC transformer for the low voltage.  Also, a given is to have a window in the front panel to watch the 811A's glow. Your opinions and criticism would be appreciated. Oh, the 8 ohm transformer can be switched in to replace the driver transformer, so's I can hear the low level (20 watt) stage of the modulator for testing and adjustments.
The low level audio stage is actually an Altec A-333 hi fi amp cloned.

* Modulator layour.jpg (124.81 KB, 1000x821 - viewed 469 times.)

BOB / W4RFM  \\\\\\\"I have looked far and wide, (I also checked near and narrow)\\\\\\\"
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:06:55 PM »

Octals, yum!

Deliver me from PWM!

Besides, it doesn't start decent fires when it high orders anyway.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KA2DZT

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:17:14 PM »

Except for the filaments 811s shouldn't be glowing too much.  I don't like the layout.  I would move the 811s back and put all the low level audio in the front of the chassis.  Move the choke and filament xfmrs to the back.  The 811s can be near the power stuff but the input xfmrs should be in front away from the choke and other xfmrs.  The driver can be next to the 811s.

These are my first thoughts with what you're building.  You'll get more opinions, so lets see what others think.

Fred
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 11:01:15 PM »

That is a lot of iron!
Go screen modulation and skip all that heavy stuff...

I often put the mod transformer on a shelf, or on the bottom of the cabinet along with big power transformers.
No way I am lifting and rack mounting anything medium power with all that iron on it.
In the past, I built an 811 modulator and put the tubes on a small sub chassis bolted to the top of the front panel and put glass above it so you could see the tubes but did not have to cut holes for windows.

Here is my 811 modulator and the mod iron.
Went screen modulation for now...

* P2080214.JPG (3926.5 KB, 4288x3216 - viewed 486 times.)

* P2110217.JPG (3944.49 KB, 4288x3216 - viewed 390 times.)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 11:55:13 PM »

N2DTS I like that idea! Did you use borosilicate/pyrex or find it unneccessary? Was the glass drilled?

I prefer the heavy iron near the front panel so the leverage against the weight is better and less stress on the chassis -unless you got heavy steel.

A modulator project seen in an old handbook attached the modulation and filament transformers horizontally to the back of the front panel so no chassis was needed for a basic push pull stage with tubes also mounted horizontally.

The 811A plate shows a barely perceptible red color at maximum ICAS conditions. The 811 filament looks nice and is worth a view. If the modulator craps out, you can see right away if a filament is gone or of the tubes are going orange-hot due a shorted load or something.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
John K5PRO

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 12:52:20 AM »

Patrick,
I like the iron and high level plate modulation is good stuff, Loy Barton of Univ of Arkansas (and later at RCA) knew what he wanted when he developed it. I think your layout is a bit crowded though, maybe you could use a deeper chassis or put some of the smaller iron underneath? Firebottles near the window are nice, like watching fire in a wood stove or campfire! You are inspiring me to finish my dual 810 modulator, have all the parts, the chassis and the rack to hold it. Its got an RCA 250 watt mod. transformer and reactor from a BTA250M. Project got sidetracked over 5 years ago, after layout was complete and some holes made. But alas, I have too many hot irons already.
W4RFM

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 10:24:29 AM »

I have moved things around several times, trying to come up with an optimum plan.  I already plan the Hi voltage and mod reactor will be on the next chassis below, maybe I should move something there.  However, I do not want to open the door to oscillations due to long lengths of some connections. I will think on this over the weekend.
Thank you all very much, an unlimited set of eyes and brains certainly helps.
Bob Smiley

BOB / W4RFM  \\\\\\\"I have looked far and wide, (I also checked near and narrow)\\\\\\\"
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 11:40:04 AM »

My suggestions:

move the regulator tube to the center, next to the LV xfmr.
move the mod iron back.
slide meter to one side or the other.
slide 811s closer to the mod iron (perhaps centered in the cabinet)

LV choke should be next to the LV xfmr.

I see no need to put the low level stuff at the front.
That's what shielded cable is for. Worst case put a preamp tube at the front, and put the rest to the rear.

The 811a should be xfmr or cathode follower driven. Apparently it is.
The driver xfmr should be next to the 811s. about where the LV DC choke is now.

They only need about 5-7watts (max) to drive. 6W6 are fine, 6V6 are more than needed but fine.

Not sure what the 8ohm transformer does?
Are you planning on external drive via a mic pre/power amp AND a mic input??

_-_-

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 12:45:02 PM »

Here is one modulator I did that way:

http://n2dts.smugmug.com/Ham-radio/i-z345zrf/A

Small chassis bolts to the top of the front panel and has a piece of regular glass in front of it.
Cost about $3.00 at the glass place, I just put electrical tape on the side edges for the screws to pull against, but the make U shaped edge stuff as well, in plastic or rubber.

A glass place will cut you anything you want and could likely drill holes in it.

The 811 modulator in the pic before has no window because they do not show color and I do not run them even remotely close to max power outputs.
Modulators run best at half power.
W4RFM

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 04:27:43 PM »

Here is a different approach, I will move all the DC to another chassis 1250 and 450, and only leave the filament transformer on the same chassis for short leads, etc.
The 8 ohm transformer will be relay switched with the driver transformer, so I can tune the sound / adjust the modulator without having to cobble up a load for the modulation xfmr secondary.

* Imgp5902.jpg (103.73 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 383 times.)

* Imgp5901.jpg (1091.24 KB, 3072x2304 - viewed 428 times.)

WBear2GCR

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 04:51:48 PM »

Why?

Why move so much to a second chassis?

I'd use the real estate you have.

Looks like you've committed to the front panel already?
Also, you could reverse the left and right sides putting the mod iron behind the 811s.
Driver xfmr just to the left of the 811s (short leads are best) or under the chassis (better).

The fils on the 811 glow nicely.

For shielding you can put metal window screen (black preferably) behind the glass...

...I'm still unclear on how the 8ohm transformer is to be employed?

_-_-

W9ZSL
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 06:46:27 PM »

Bob, check out my personal message.  Looks like we are in the process of building the same thing around the S-22 with 811A's.  So AM Fonies, you have two of us to nurse (lol)!
W9ZSL
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 06:54:24 PM »

My design is simpler. S-22 center rear of the chassis, 811A's front and center.  Of course Bob already has a front panel cut and drilled.  I'm starting from scratch. I'm going with the speech amp driver on a separate chassis with its own power supply that can be switched to more than one modulator.  The 811A modulator chassis will have a switch to chose either the driver or a 600 ohm balanced source to grids. Not much different except he is going with a switchable 8 ohm XFMR for input and I'm opting for 600 without the driver on the same chassis.
W9ZSL
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 07:23:23 PM »

Bob, I have another thread going RE: shielding HV leads.
W4RFM

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 07:39:30 PM »

I see that I am not explaining myself on the 8 ohm and driver transformer thing.  So here is a graphic.

I will relay substitute a standard 8 ohm transformer on the the output of the Altec design amplifier BEFORE it drives the 811A grids. Normally the relay will have the Thordarson driver transformer in the circuit.  You guys are trying to make this harder than it is, or am I Smiley Mod xfmr (on the circuit drawing) being the driver - not the actual modulation transformer. This is so I can listen to the actual amp without trying to match the 250 watt load of the s-22 transformer.

* Switch.jpg (60.45 KB, 900x900 - viewed 338 times.)

W9ZSL
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 07:42:19 PM »

Bob, are you using a basic Hi-Fi amp as a driver?
W4RFM

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 07:47:54 PM »

I am building a clone of an Altec A-333 amplifier as the front end of my modulator, and adding two 811a's as the power. They will be powered by a separate 1250 vdc power supply on a chassis mounted just below the modulator chassis once installed in the rack. The Altec clone will be powered by a separate 450 vdc supply also on that chassis.  Putting them on a separate chassis lets me build this thing right without having to worry about real estate on the main MOD chassis.  I can use oversize chokes and such without worry. (And make it look better).

W9ZSL
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 09:09:11 PM »

Bob, get in touch with me at W9ZSL@ yahoo.com.
WBear2GCR

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 09:47:09 PM »

Still lost on where this "8ohm" transformer fits in, and what you want to "listen to"??

Are you saying you want to be able to monitor the audio by putting an output transformer on the 6L6 drivers?
Or do you want to drive the 811a WITH an outboard audio amp??

If ur building a clone of an amp, the mod iron becomes the output transformer.

N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 09:52:31 PM »

Space is nice, all that iron would take up a lot of space even under the chassis and leave little room for bleeder resistors, terminal strips, filter caps and so on.
Why not make a high voltage power supply that can be used for anything?
A 10 amp or so variac could make it very useful for any rig or modulator.

I do not understand the 8 ohm transformer, you could drive the grids of the 811's with one, and switch it in for outboard audio or out for an all tube on chassis speech amp.
Is that the plan?
W4RFM

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 04:12:45 PM »

Okay, one more time.  Normally when using the modulator for AM use, the 8 ohm transformer is electrically not in the circuit.  When I am setting up the front end of the amplifier, I want to be able to hear the sound of the amplifier, therefore I will operate a relay that will change out the driver transformer with the 8 ohm transformer.  At that time the Altec clone becomes a regular speaker feeding amplifier that I can adjust the E Q, COMPRESSION, ETC, without having to find a load for the mod transformer, sample the audio, etc. I realize this is unusual, but I want it easy to adjust.
Bear, The Altec amp clone will be just as it was designed to be right up to the output transformer.  The output will be able to switch from a standard 8 ohm output transformer, to a Thordarson driver transformer, that drives the grids of two 811A's which connect to a UTC S-22 modulation transformer. The set up will be, high level input into a 6SJ7, then a 6C5 then two 6L6GC's, THEN comes the switch transformer thing.

WBear2GCR

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 09:22:45 PM »

Gotcha.

I am sure you realize that the freq response of the old UTC mod iron will be somewhat less than the "8 ohm"
iron that you will be testing with.

If I were building it, I'd so some things to limit the passband of the circuit of the modulator, on the low end and on the high end, as compared to the hi-fi bandwidth of the Altec.

_-_-

W4RFM

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 08:49:20 PM »

That is a good suggestion, I take that seriously because I do not want to lose a mod iron due to excessive frequency travels. (Not that my voice can get that low anyway   Wink, I will set up the mike processor a Symetrix 528 for a low freq cut off of 100 Hertz and the high end at about 8K. Should that be sufficient?  Also, I am losing the 8 ohm deal all together, I figure I can just tap off the secondary of the mod tranny with a big ol resistor and feed that to an amp, and monitor the real signal.

PD0RTT

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 10:21:59 PM »

Also, I am losing the 8 ohm deal all together, I figure I can just tap off the secondary of the mod tranny with a big ol resistor and feed that to an amp, and monitor the real signal.

Or take a small output audio transformer from a radio with an big resistor in series and a capacitor to block the DC. Connect this to the modulated DC and ground and you have a suitable audio monitor output for driving a loudspeaker.

Martin
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 01:35:28 AM »

Here is a different approach, I will move all the DC to another chassis 1250 and 450, and only leave the filament transformer on the same chassis for short leads, etc.
The 8 ohm transformer will be relay switched with the driver transformer, so I can tune the sound / adjust the modulator without having to cobble up a load for the modulation xfmr secondary.

I like this layout and panel and the transformer switching so the driver can be listened to. How about dual purpose the selectable 8 Ohm output as also the audio amp for receive using a nice speaker? It looks like the iron is fine for that and plenty of power from those driver tubes.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015