The AM Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:54:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Receiver IMD DR  (Read 3315 times)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« on: February 06, 2015, 08:46:10 PM »

Based on some discussion of the Sherwood Receiver list in another thread, I thought that I would start a more technical discussion here.

According the The List, the Icom 756 Pro II  and Pro III have a 3rd-order IMD DR of 75 dB for 2 kHz spaced signals. This means that the two signals must be 75 dB above the noise floor for the IMD to be noticed or be above the noise floor on frequency. The two signals would need to be about 25 db over S9. If you were listening for a signal right at the noise floor, the IMD would be a problem. If you were listening to a S9 signal, it’s very likely you would not even notice the IMD. Thus, my comment that unless your are operating in CW contests, the rankings on The List are minimally relevant.

To aid in discussion, let's define some terms.

MDS: minimum discernable signal - or simplistically, a signal just above the noise floor

Two-tone third-order dynamic range (IMD DR): the difference between MDS and the levels of two interfering signals causing IMD products just equal to the MDS.

References

Sherwood Receiver Test Data

Radios Used in a Contest Environment, Rob Sherwood, Dayton Presentation, 2004

The Prowess of HF Receivers, QEX, Sep/Oct 2002
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 05:58:36 PM »

How does a signal that is inside the 70 MHz 1st IF passband but not withing the overall filter passband impact the imd?
Is IMD the same as dynamic range narrow spaced?
I thought the dynamic range wide and narrow spaced was how much a strong signal within those two bandwidths impacts the signal you want to hear, not distortion, but things like AGC action.
If a signal is within the 1st IF's passband but not in the 3 KHz filter you have in the 3rd IF and it activates the AGC loop in the 1st IF, it HAS TO effect the weak signal you want to copy.
I know it did on all my pro series rigs.
Any strong signal out of the passband but within the 15 to 20 KHz wide 1st IF would teat up anything I was listening to.
If you think the pro series receivers are good, its time to try some modern stuff.
It is no better then the old 735 and other 70 MHz 1st IF's were...
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 08:16:19 PM »

How does a signal that is inside the 70 MHz 1st IF passband but not withing the overall filter passband impact the imd?

That's exactly what the 2 kHz spacing IMD DR is all about. And in my example, you would need two signals, spaced 2 kHz apart, and at least 25 dB over S9 to ever even begin to hear/notice the IMD. And that's in the laboratory. With an antenna connected, the noise floor would be 10 dB or more higher than the MDS, at least on the low HF bands. So, you would need two signals far stronger than 25 db over 9 for IMD to be an issue.

I thought the dynamic range wide and narrow spaced was how much a strong signal within those two bandwidths impacts the signal you want to hear, not distortion, but things like AGC action.

Nope. Two-tone tests are static measurements and will not test the dynamic functions of ALC. Did you read the article I linked to? Blocking dynamic range is closer to what you want. From the article:

BDR is the difference, in decibels, between the minimum discernable signal (MDS) and an off-channel signal that causes 1dB of gain compression in the receiver.

Still, BDR is a static measurement, so it won't show any dynamic characteristics of the ALC. Further, both of the above measurements mostly show the characteristics of the mixer following the high IF and those preceding it in the signal chain. I'm pretty sure that ALC usually isn't even involved here.

If a signal is within the 1st IF's passband but not in the 3 KHz filter you have in the 3rd IF and it activates the AGC loop in the 1st IF, it HAS TO effect the weak signal you want to copy.

Only if the ALC desensitizes the receiver enough that the signal goes below the noise floor of the receiver. I've NEVER seen that happen, even when working European stations several hours before sunset on 80 meters (yea, the were PW).

If you think the pro series receivers are good, its time to try some modern stuff.

I've used receivers more modern than the Pro series since the 1980s, including SDRs.  Wink

I'm not defending the Pros. I just used them as an example since they were on the list. If one is going to use the list, they should know what the numbers actually mean. Yes, the receivers listed above the Pros on the list are probably better. How much is the question, especially for those not operating in contests. Even a hardcore DX, weak signal guy like W8JI has written that 80-85 db 2nd order IMD DR is good enough, most of the time.

Remember that even in my very quiet rural location where I have to "beam" through the east coast to hear Europe, 80dB or so IM3 is probably more than enough. The reason my Drakes are so good is because they were built to duplex on the same band with my own transmitters running!! Unless you are in a situation like that, anything over 80dB is likely wasted.

In other words, some of the hype around these numbers is just hype and used to sell receivers.
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 10:14:54 PM »

I notice a lot of difference between a poor receiver and a better one.
The SDR's with the same narrow and wide space ratings are immune to any signal out of the passband while the 70 MHz radios are not.
The K2 seemed much better then the pro's even though it was only 5 db better.
I think once you get to or over about 80 db narrow spaced the receiver works well.
LO noise is another thing I find important but maybe it is more the net result of all the devices, general background hash.
A good receiver is not bothered by strong signals out of the passband at all, and its very quiet.
I did not find the pro's fit that description, the flex radios had a bit of background noise.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015