The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:46:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hammarlund HQ-110  (Read 5814 times)
N6YW
Contributing

« on: January 28, 2015, 09:00:55 PM »

Okay, so it's not a battlefield radio and doesn't get much mention for it's performance, but I am considering getting one to mate up with my Ranger because of the size equality and period of manufacture. Is there anything that can be done to really make these rock without becoming a lifelong adventure or are they just very average and pretty much a shelf queen?
I am looking for thoughts from those who own them and can offer advice on if it's worth the time to spend making one useable.
Thanks,
Billy N6YW

"Life is too short for QRP"
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 09:10:50 PM »

Billy,

If you add a HC-10 SSB adapter to a HQ-110 you end up with the equivalent of a HQ-170.  A number of people mistake the HQ-110 as the ham band version of the HQ-100 which it is not, it is a fairly sophisticated little receiver and will do well under normal conditions.  In proper working order it is very usable. 

Rodger WQ9E
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 09:28:05 PM »

Billy,

If you add a HC-10 SSB adapter to a HQ-110 you end up with the equivalent of a HQ-170.  A number of people mistake the HQ-110 as the ham band version of the HQ-100 which it is not, it is a fairly sophisticated little receiver and will do well under normal conditions.  In proper working order it is very usable. 

Roger
Thank you. I don't know much about them and because I am wanting to use the Ranger as my band cruiser for the upper bands, I wanted to pair it up with something of similar size and hopefully capable performance. It just seems like a fun project to try because there are a couple available at reasonable cost. Also, the weight is attractive as well! Hell, slogging the SP-600 & SX-28 around the shop has it's disadvantages.
This might be a lot fun.
73 de Billy N6YW

KA2DZT

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 10:56:14 PM »

I have a HQ-110 and I think the radio preforms very well on AM and it works good on SSB and I sure CW as well.  It has a Q multiplier.

The only problem with Hammarlund receivers is the IF cans go bad.  I've had a number of them over the last 50 years and had problems with IF cans in everyone.  So far this HQ-110 I now have hasn't had this problem.  Use to be able to order new cans from Hammarlund, but those days are gone forever.

The last few, I had to take the IF can apart and repair it, usually the caps in them go bad.

Fred
WQ9E

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 05:56:08 AM »

Fred,

Hammarlund changed to regular sealed mica caps in the later cans instead of using the troublesome open leaf construction.  Hopefully your HQ-110 is  from a later run.  I had to remove and replace all of the IF can caps in the high and middle IF sections of my first HQ-170. 

Rodger WQ9E
K3ZS

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 08:26:23 AM »

I have an HQ-110, I was going to use it for AM in place of an HQ-140X.   It did not take long to put the HQ-140 back as my main AM receiver.    The basic IF selectivity is broader in the 110.    Even though you can peak  the signal with the Q-multiplier, the heterodynes still are more noticable than on the HQ-140.   You can pick up HQ-140 for about the same price as an HQ-110.   For AM use on the lower frequencies, the 140 is much better.    For the higher bands, the dual conversion and RF sensitivity makes the 110 a better choice.
WQ9E

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 09:13:30 AM »

Robert,

You will find a vintage audio filter, the Autek QF-1A is my favorite, does a wonderful job of getting rid of hetrodyne interference on AM.  I keep one hooked up to all of my often used vintage receivers.  They are all mode filters and can also be used to provide a sharp audio peak on CW along with high or low pass audio response.  The QF-1A has an auxiliary notch so you can either notch two signals at once or use the notch with the other filter providing passband processing.  You will often find it easier to adjust the filter with it set to peak mode and once the hetrodyne is peaked switch it to notch and the hetrodyne goes away.

A Drake R-4C with a narrow Sherwood IF filter and an Autek QF-1A is my favorite low band CW receiver.   Weak signals that were very difficult to copy on my modern Yaesu with DSP become easy to copy with the Drake plus audio peaking.

Rodger WQ9E
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 02:48:51 PM »

Besides not requiring a back brace and in many ways "cuter" than many radios, it is not a bad receiver at all.  I've restored a couple of them and got quite attached to the things.  

The HQ-140X is the radio I decided to pair with my Ranger since it was the station my High School club had and I got to be the hallowed "Keeper of the Station" for a a couple of summers.  I just couldn't reignite the 1960s love for the 140s I restored and finally parted with them.  Not a bad radio at all (and also one of the best early HQ radios on SSB — great audio!).  Still … I do agree that on the lower bands, the 140X is a better radio.

The biggest problem I've had with several HQ-140 radios is that calibration on the ham bands is poor.  I spent a LOT of time with one of them, and no matter how much I fiddled with it I could not get the ham band bandspread to track well.  Maybe something aged (maybe I aged), maybe I just couldn't solve the puzzle … maybe they were always that way.  I'm not sure — and High School thrill summers were a very long time ago Smiley  The 110 was much better in this regard.

Grant NQ5T
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 02:55:29 PM »

Thanks again guys.
That sums it up for me pretty well. I did some reading online and it seems like it will be just fine and some of the mods are easy to implement, not that I am looking to do that right away.
The primary use will be for band cruising 20-10 meters AM and as long as it's sensitive enough to copy a decent signal then I am fine with that.
I love this hobby!

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 05:09:51 PM »

I had a HQ-110 here many years ago. On the lower frequencies, it seem to be fine. Above roughly 14 MHz, the sensitivity dropped off and so did the stability. On 10 and 6 meters, I was always chasing the signals drifting around the band but I was trying to operate SSB. Finally added a external 6 meter converter with the IF for 40 meters. Serial numbers above 7000 had production changes adding a number of additional components.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 11:25:29 AM »

I had a HQ-110 here many years ago. On the lower frequencies, it seem to be fine. Above roughly 14 MHz, the sensitivity dropped off and so did the stability. On 10 and 6 meters, I was always chasing the signals drifting around the band but I was trying to operate SSB. Finally added a external 6 meter converter with the IF for 40 meters. Serial numbers above 7000 had production changes adding a number of additional components.

Pete,

I have also read that about the later serial numbered units. It seems that Hammarlund tried to make some corrections in engineering to address those issues but I'm not clear on whether they cured them or not. It seems that certain symptoms run from radio to radio, as some owners have said that theirs worked just fine while others didn't. There are two popular modifications that address the BFO and Product Detector arrangements that also allow better
SSB operation by having AGC working. It will be interesting when I get the radio next week. I have several to look at and will you know what my findings are.
I also hope to meet some of you guys on 20-10 meter AM, perhaps a Sunday sked would be
in order.
73 de Billy N6YW

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015