The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:54:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: vermin vanquished  (Read 2907 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: January 14, 2015, 09:41:34 PM »

A couple weeks ago one of the hi-fi speakers hooked to my Scott SLR-M SWL set stopped working. The wire had been chewed up behind a large furniture cabinet and this was not easy to get to.

For the past couple weeks the cats have been stalking and staring intently in into various dark corners, behind the stove and the refrigerator, and something was seen skittering across the kitchen floor more than once, but there had been no satisfactory resolution.

I figured it was too dark in the kitchen during the crepuscular hours for the natural solution to be effected. A small blue-ish white LED lite was put up high in the kitchen. Therein is the only source of water. Thanks to this 'hunters moon', the little culprit has been finally caught in the open and put an end to.

Anyone else had vermin invasions this winter? Might be time to check for traces of their having moved in before they start chewing cables and making a mess.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 10:38:51 AM »

YA!!!!!! The DAM stink bugs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_marmorated_stink_bug

A little warm up and there will be a couple flying around. If you get them pissed; they will make bad odors. So, we gently wrap a victim in Kleenex and flush it awaaaaay.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 12:53:43 PM »

We also have green ones here in Louisiana.  They apparently originated from Japan and China.   They have a fresher "stink" smell to them I think.

AMI#1684
WZ5Q

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 02:48:43 PM »

When I was knee high to a Nutria Rat, I remember running across a field gasping for air with my mouth wide open and I swallowed one of those green nasties. O my, did that taste awful! I was really gasping for air then, they definitely taste worse then they smell. 
A few years ago my brother decided he was going to cook us dinner, so he went out to my garden and picked a bunch of broccoli. He steamed it and served it drenched in butter, it looked real tasty. I took a big ole bite of the green fluffy part and all those past memories as a boy came rushing back as a chomped down on one of those green beasties. He smiled at me and admitted he forgot to wash it.
You know its bad when Jack Daniels won't kill the taste, Yuuuuk!   Tongue

Mike
WZ5Q
From Deep Down in the Dark Dismal Swamps of the Calcasieu
http://www.wz5q.net
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 03:26:08 PM »

Ha Ha Ha,

I got an ART-13 from a guy years ago that
was just sitting in a barn on a property he bought.
It was early spring and cold out. Well I got that
thing home and brought it into the shop, the very
next day we had evidence of an infestation.

They looked like "Lady Bugs" but had a
yellowish tint to em, and it wasn't MFP. They were
all over my bench. The ART-13 went back outside
for a couple days with the lid off, there must have
been a thousand of em in there.  Saw a few around
the house every spring for a few years!

They also "Stunk" when "Squished".

/Dan

John K5PRO

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 03:48:27 PM »

The only vermin we get this time 'o year is mice. 5 years ago I was out sealing holes and putting traps everywhere. Not now. Since I've had a very nice cat in the house, they are gone. He makes his rounds daily, has learned to pry open our closets by pulling under the door, and I hear him in the middle of the night popping them open. Gotta love that. Too bad there isn't an easy solution for de bugs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015