The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:53:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: audio amp power transformer color code??  (Read 3673 times)
N2DTS
Contributing

« on: January 09, 2015, 10:17:37 PM »

I have two  transformers out of old tube hifi audio amps I found in the trash.
Two kinds, a big one that has three thick wires out one end, two red and one red and yellow.
Out of the other end is black, black with white, red with black, and black with green.
Those all measure below 3 ohms between them.
If its a power transformer, no filament wires...
It has a copper strap around the core.

The other transformer is smaller, has red, black and brown out one side,  the other side has black, green, orange, red with white, blue with white, green with yellow, black with white.

Was there a color code for the wires?

N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 10:53:05 PM »

Found it.
The one is a power trans, 48 volt for a solid state amp, black an white 115v, black 122 volt, black and green 107 volts, black and red is common I guess.
The other trans was a transistor to 70 volt line, both went in the trash.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 12:01:58 AM »

"old tube hifi audio amps I found in the trash"

What is the world coming to?  Shocked  but I guess the solid state stuff gets little respect.  Undecided

Seriously, those might have been nice for things. I tend to keep those kind of tidbits and I understand if you don't want to keep stuff.

The 48VAC power unit:
- 48VAC, tapped at 24VAC? with resistor for the 6VAC relays?
- DC 60V, regulate to 48V, 24V, 12V, and on..
- phantom power
- A unique use for 24-60VDC would be to power a set of telephone handsets and sonalert or other buzzer for 'ringing'. That way the XYL can buzz you when you are in the shack and she needs you.
- The 122/115/107V winding could be used as an autotransformer to step 125VAC down to 117 or what have you, for things like 115V vintage receivers.

The 70V audio unit:
if center tapped, might be good as a driver for tube grids.
The transistor side windings of those things are usually fairly low impedance to match a speech amp 4-16 Ohms to various grids.
A 70V winding on a 10W amp is 500 Ohms. In case of a 150W amp, the 70V winding's is 35 Ohms.

I usually hang on to stuff. End up trading and giving away a lot of it if someone needs it. Grin

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KA2DZT

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 12:45:05 AM »

Should have keep the xfmrs.  I have over 1000 xfmrs and chokes.  I've scrapped about 200-250 xfmrs over the past 30 years, I remove the copper wire.  Some xfmrs come apart easy and others can be difficult.  Once I've removed the steel, I have a machine that unwinds the copper and throws out the insulation.  I made the machine.

There is a color code for xfmr wires but not all xfmrs followed the code.

Fred
KL7OF

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 08:54:34 AM »

Should have keep the xfmrs.  I have over 1000 xfmrs and chokes.  I've scrapped about 200-250 xfmrs over the past 30 years, I remove the copper wire.  Some xfmrs come apart easy and others can be difficult.  Once I've removed the steel, I have a machine that unwinds the copper and throws out the insulation.  I made the machine.

Fred
FRED....Do you have a picture(s) of your unwinder?...TNX   Steve
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 09:26:42 AM »

I still have them (in the trash can), I would never use them, and could not be bothered to unwind them.
Time is money and I still work full time, and I am trying to clean things I will never use out.
I do not know where I got these, 2 of both irons, out of executone solid state pa amps.
I also had found a tube version and have the iron out of that with the Williamson taps with everything marked.

I have access to plenty of 48 volt stuff (phone company runs off 48 volts) and this is a big transformer, not a small one I would use as a bias supply or something.

KA2DZT

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 10:00:03 AM »

Should have keep the xfmrs.  I have over 1000 xfmrs and chokes.  I've scrapped about 200-250 xfmrs over the past 30 years, I remove the copper wire.  Some xfmrs come apart easy and others can be difficult.  Once I've removed the steel, I have a machine that unwinds the copper and throws out the insulation.  I made the machine.

Fred
FRED....Do you have a picture(s) of your unwinder?...TNX   Steve
Steve

All my stuff is "Top Secret" Grin

Not able to post pictures with the computer I'm using.

Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015