The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 01:17:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The basement can be Cold and Lonely for transformers  (Read 4033 times)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« on: January 08, 2015, 01:37:21 PM »

Its cold down here. So assembling the 813 rig will keep me warm. I've got the 810 modulator ready to marry the beastly 610 Mod Transformer.  But are they both ready to accept each other?

Hiding transformers from the wife while they in the oven to boil out moisture is a time honored tradition. (Maybe some YLs hide transformers from the OM.) I liked to put 'em in the car trunk in the summer.  (The transformer.) Or variacing the primary with a small load on the 2nd. But watt to do with mod transformers?? They get thirsty too? I'd venture a guess that placing a small load to warm them up is OK.

Any comments?

klc

What? Me worry?
KL7OF

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 02:57:51 PM »

put them behind the wood stove
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:04:11 PM »

Here is a possibility.....for some large iron

Configure the tranny as step down, then short out the secondary with a wire. Next hook up 120V from a wall outlet, and go through a incandescent lamp to the primary. Since the secondary is shorted, the primary will also be low impedance, depending on the degree of coupling primary to secondary. So start with a 50 watt lamp, and work up to 100 watts for a larger transformer. Both primary and secondary windings will be passing current (based upon turns ratio), and the current will vary with the wattage of the lamp. Since the wire will dissipate heat from current flowing through it, the tranny will heat from within. The trick is to not overdue it.

Other options apply, like a getting a tan in the July Texas sun..

Jim
Wd5JKO
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 04:52:04 PM »

Watt!!
The mod iron will not fit in the oven?

F

Fred KC4MOP
W1ITT

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 05:02:58 PM »

Collapse the cake rack in the oven with a transformer and there's going to be some 'splaining to do. 
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 07:21:42 PM »

Plywood, aluminum flashing and heating lamps. Build a box and bake away.
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 07:44:12 PM »

Put the mod iron IN the wood stove and go screen modulation!
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 08:33:40 PM »

Here is a possibility.....for some large iron

Configure the tranny as step down, then short out the secondary with a wire. Next hook up 120V from a wall outlet, and go through a incandescent lamp to the primary. Since the secondary is shorted, the primary will also be low impedance, depending on the degree of coupling primary to secondary. So start with a 50 watt lamp, and work up to 100 watts for a larger transformer. Both primary and secondary windings will be passing current (based upon turns ratio), and the current will vary with the wattage of the lamp. Since the wire will dissipate heat from current flowing through it, the tranny will heat from within. The trick is to not overdue it.

Other options apply, like a getting a tan in the July Texas sun..

Jim
Wd5JKO

If you know the wattage and the secondary impedance, you can figure from that the current and avoid overdoing it.
P = I^2 * R
P / R = I^2
For example 500W and a 5000 Ohm secondary
500 / 5000 = 0.1
sqrt 0.1 = 0.316 amp

There is a collection of old wives tales on this:
1.) The current can be checked with a resistor like 1 Ohm placed across the secondary.
2.) It should not be necessary to rush it or go overboard. Less is good as long as it warms it up.
3.) You can add a variac in case you don't have a lamp that give a close enough reading without being too much.
4.) If it ends up taking more than a 120V across the primary or any high power winding to make enough current flow. In that case step it up with a power transformer.
5.) Never use a low power feedback, monitor, or screen winding for this.
6.) Try to use the entire primary and entire secondary.

I don't know how fast it works by the electric method but I heated a 960W Collins one for a week just to make sure, and same with the matching modulation choke using a DC supply. I prefer the oven for a day at 150 degrees but if I damage the baking rack or any tar runs out and stinks it up there will be no pie for me. ever again. 8-)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 01:24:02 AM »

F,

Yes, the mod iron will fit in the oven. But I have to sleep, and that's when the oven method will have its tragic end.

S, S, B, P, D, J, Thanks fer the input.

I'll bring it upstairs, and put it in the mud room for 3 or 4 days. Maybe I can find a cooler, and place the iron and a 'lectric lamp inside.

It actually is behind the cellar wood/coal stove.

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015