The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:03:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unusual cross-mode QSO on 10M  (Read 2442 times)
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« on: December 30, 2014, 08:46:38 AM »

There was little activity on 10M AM yesterday evening so I was just twirling the dial downward to see what may have been going on outside the AM window. What jumped out was a pileup in the SSB region with lots and lots of stations calling. It turns out the station all wanted to work was KH6NX on Oahu, HI. He was a solid S9+5 in NJ. I listened to the chaos for awhile and decided, hey, why not give it a try.

I carefully zero beat the Valiant to his frequency and gave a call, mentioning I was on A.M. He came right back and we had a bit more than the usual "5X9, 73, QRZ" QSO. He said he could not even tell I was on AM and it sounded as if he was really surprised. Also gave me an S7 report. We chatted briefly but I cut it off as others were waiting t talk to him.

I've done CW to AM in the distant past but this was my first AM to SSB QSO.

FWIW
Jack
WA2OLZ
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 10:31:52 AM »

Good job, Jack. You did it right - zero beat so there's no carrier and away you go. I bet you sounded better than the other stations, too.

I know a number of the crew have made numerous cross-mode (AM/SSB) contacts down in the 80m portion in recent years. Quite often calling CQ results in someone tuning you in and assuming you're on SSB (what's that funny squeal?) or because they're mobile or on a rig that doesn't have AM, but still want to make a contact. Sometimes it results in the person discovering or re-discovering AM. Maybe you've piqued his interested to try it out at some point. You never know!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 01:03:54 PM »

I remember making many cross mode CW to phone QSOs with DX stations on 15 meters when I was a Novice. Many of the DX stations on phone would say they were tuning and listening for US novices on C!W during their CQs.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 01:37:07 PM »

If I'm working a contest, at break time for fun and giggles, I flip over to the AM mode and work a number of SSB contest stations AM to SSB. Some get it; others don't care; it's just a contest point. What's even more exciting is working cross-band. Back in the "good of days" of the 80's, when a lot of European countries still didn't have a 6 meter allocation, we would work cross-band 6 to 10 meters.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015