The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:04:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Am Sunday 12/14  (Read 5897 times)
W6ZKH

« on: December 14, 2014, 12:02:17 PM »

Alot of activity on this morning on 10 AM... sigs are up also, so looks like it will be a good day...
John W6ZKH

John W6ZKH
Cen CA
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 12:30:56 PM »

I was tuning around on 10 meters AM about an hour ago and heard Tim WA1HLR in QSO with Chuck K1KW on 29031 kHz as I recall.  Chuck is about 250 miles away and Tim is about 400 miles away.

Tim was just barely readable and Chuck was stronger and R5.  The interesting thing was that I could hear Chuck with quite an echo.  I assume this was reception of short path and long path both.  Chuck was switching between low angle and higher angle radiation patterns.  The echo was apparent only on the low angle radiation.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 02:35:20 PM »

I was tuning around on 10 meters AM about an hour ago and heard Tim WA1HLR in QSO with Chuck K1KW on 29031 kHz as I recall.  Chuck is about 250 miles away and Tim is about 400 miles away.

Tim was just barely readable and Chuck was stronger and R5.  The interesting thing was that I could hear Chuck with quite an echo.  I assume this was reception of short path and long path both.  Chuck was switching between low angle and higher angle radiation patterns.  The echo was apparent only on the low angle radiation.

I could also be the result of the backscatter of signals. Also, the Geminid meteor shower always comes around in mid-December and this weekend is the peak for watching the show. Signal reflections off the shower, resulting in multiple signals reaching the receiving antenna, even on 10 meters, is not uncommon. I remember last year in December, the echo reception was so harsh, you could hardly understand what was being said.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 06:37:34 PM »

Excellent QSOs today with France, England and Wales. Many stations  booming in. Sounded like the old days of 10M AM!
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 07:54:13 PM »

I was tuning around on 10 meters AM about an hour ago and heard Tim WA1HLR in QSO with Chuck K1KW on 29031 kHz as I recall.  Chuck is about 250 miles away and Tim is about 400 miles away.

Tim was just barely readable and Chuck was stronger and R5.  The interesting thing was that I could hear Chuck with quite an echo.  I assume this was reception of short path and long path both.  Chuck was switching between low angle and higher angle radiation patterns.  The echo was apparent only on the low angle radiation.

I was listening to the same QSO. You were most likely hearing Chuck backscatter from 2 directions.

This does not happen too often.

Long path would be quite a feat.

Tim used to be easy copy on 10 backscatter when he had the 4-1000 rig. I can always tell it's him now but cannot make out the words.

There's no propagation scenario where I cannot hear Chuck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015