The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 11:18:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cautiously Delivered Valiant Report  (Read 12531 times)
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« on: December 09, 2014, 08:01:05 AM »

The Phase I Timmy Mods were implemented on the Beast (Valiant 1) recently. I heard on air recordings of the mostly stock transmitter and was told by friends that "it sounds good for a Valiant". Okay....Anyway, based on how I sounded and the fact that the recalcitrant transmitter was already out of its case for other repairs, I proceeded with the audio work.

On air reports have been extremely favorable. For the purists, all mods and other repairs are documented so the next sucker who owns this transmitter will know what work was performed. However, for all its warts, the transmitter works well when it decides to work. I am awaiting delivery of new switch wafers. The band switch wafer is the one that is giving me the most trouble.

I stopped using cabinet screws long ago. To do otherwise would spit in the eyes of the foul demons that inhabit this exciter.

Surprisingly, the Herald M24A microphone has been garnishing superior audio reports compared to the unamplified D104. This may not be significant since getting a good condition crystal is at best a crap shoot. The plate leads for the mudulators were swapped to insure proper phasing of my very unsymmetrical voice.

Anyway, we're plugging away here and having fun in the process. Thanks to my long suffering friends here who have helped me on my first transmitter restoration project.

FLIPPIT

* Capture.JPG (40.82 KB, 423x427 - viewed 483 times.)

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 08:32:01 AM »

I never had one, I do not know how that happened, but they seem like great rigs, built in VFO, 160 to 10 I think, is it three 6146 tubes in the output?

A lot of guys seem to separate the modulator and run something outboard.
You can not blame something that old for having issues or wearing parts out, and they were all built to a ham radio price point...
k7mdo
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 09:51:54 AM »

Well your travails, if nothing else have given me hope for my two "basket case" Valiants that are sitting in my garage awaiting HELP. 

I traded a working Viking II and two parts Vikings recently for them. May not have been my best trade but the allure of more WATTS was compelling.

One of the units looks untouched and the other has obvious early modifications.

Once my bench is clear of the HQ-129X currently under repair I will start on them.... due to their weight and size they have to be spirited into the upstairs shack.

Tom
ub
WA9NQW

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 10:20:22 AM »

The Valiant saga has been inspirational to me. As of the 1st of the year I will be pretty much fully retired and I have a pile of three of them in the basement. Two are the first generation and one is the much refined (I am sure) Valiant II.

The Valiant II was in a fire and all the plastic melted off the front panel. I have found a repo VFO dial, a new meter and some pilot light jewels.

I don't know what is inside yet on any of these. I acquired them over the last ten years or so thinking they would be a nice retirement project.

Thanks Philip.

Jack

Jack
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 12:07:54 PM »

Do not say with a loud voice into the microphone the words UREEEEEE or say TESSSST TESSSST with long ssss'es.
 Grin

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
ka4koe
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 03:48:27 PM »

What's inside, you ask?Huh

Madness...

Detroit47

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 01:15:19 AM »

I have to say that for the most part a Valiant isn't too bad to work on. I have found that the the Collins 32V line of transmitters can be a real pain as far as room to negotiate. Another PIA is the RF box on a B&W 5100 series of transmitters it always seems that a cap will short inside the RF box. The box comes off the chassis ok but it is a real jewel to get inside of. I guess that my point or lack of is that all these old transmitters have there good and bad points. But they sure can be fun to talk on.

73 John N8QPC
w1vtp

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 11:51:54 AM »

The Viking series was originally a kit transmitter so it had to be easy to work on right out of the "get go."  Collins never intended the 32V series to be worked on by the end user - it was the original "appliance" as was the BW5100

I really need to finish up my Viking 1 so I can use it to check into the AWA PM AM net Sundays.  The current HIFI class E transmitter while cool to operate doesn't fit into the classification of  "vintage"

Al
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 12:00:43 PM »

J,

" Another PIA is the RF box on a B&W 5100 series of transmitters.. "

This months Electric Radio has a nice piece on the B&W 5100. He recommends some metal work to improve the packaging.

klc

What? Me worry?
Dave K6XYZ

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 02:11:16 PM »

For me....the answer has been the Johnson 500.
I was getting frustrated with the 'low power' B&W 5100-B, Valiant and DX-100 transmitters I have.....they are in beautiful condition.
Even though I have a very good location and antenna I was having trouble getting into round tables and nets that had 'big iron' stations.
Out of the blue I discovered a beeeautiful J500 located on the West coast.

After some short discussion my old friend Tom K6AD was kind enough to pick it up and give the owner the insisted upon cash money.
It turned out to be totally complete with the never used aluminum rear terminal strip cover.
After several months I drove to California to pick it up and I was not disappointed!
It does not have a single mark on it and has been very well taken care of for all those decades.
I did a couple of mods regarding the time delay relay and replaced the power supply caps even though they were probably ok.
I correctly re-adjusted the arc gaps. This gap measurement depends on which PA tube is in use.
The gap is different for the 4-400(see my other threads about this transmitter and be sure to use the correct manual for the unit you have)
Fortunately the plate transformer had been replaced with the Thunderbolt transformer probably under warrantee .

I also did an alignment which it did not need as I could not improve the operation.
It has the 4-400 PA and makes 400w output which seems to be enough to be heard.
I use a D-104 with the xtal cartridge and I routinely get unsolicited very good audio reports.
This unit does not have any audio mods but this winter I think I am going to raise the audio grid load resistor to a higher value and perhaps by-pass the clipper and low pass audio filter.
Other than that....I am totally happy with this rig and recommend that if any of these units are seen....just buy it.
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 03:10:19 PM »

100 watts seems fine on 40 meters and up.
On the lower bands, more power is nice to have.

If you run higher power on 40, you will end up in a qso with someone 1000 miles away running 20 watts, they can hear you fine, not so fine the other way around.

The average AM power on 40 seems to be about 100 watts, and on 80 its likely 300 from what people say, and 600 that is actually in use...

Many people like the old gear, but some get tired of all the cost cutting marginal components, bad designs, and the 'joy' of keeping a lot of very old parts working at close to their design maximums or more.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 05:42:08 PM »

For me....the answer has been the Johnson 500.
I was getting frustrated with the 'low power' B&W 5100-B, Valiant and DX-100 transmitters I have.....they are in beautiful condition.
Even though I have a very good location and antenna I was having trouble getting into round tables and nets that had 'big iron' stations.
Out of the blue I discovered a beeeautiful J500 located on the West coast.

After some short discussion my old friend Tom K6AD was kind enough to pick it up and give the owner the insisted upon cash money.
It turned out to be totally complete with the never used aluminum rear terminal strip cover.
After several months I drove to California to pick it up and I was not disappointed!
It does not have a single mark on it and has been very well taken care of for all those decades.
I did a couple of mods regarding the time delay relay and replaced the power supply caps even though they were probably ok.
I correctly re-adjusted the arc gaps. This gap measurement depends on which PA tube is in use.
The gap is different for the 4-400(see my other threads about this transmitter and be sure to use the correct manual for the unit you have)
Fortunately the plate transformer had been replaced with the Thunderbolt transformer probably under warrantee .

I also did an alignment which it did not need as I could not improve the operation.
It has the 4-400 PA and makes 400w output which seems to be enough to be heard.
I use a D-104 with the xtal cartridge and I routinely get unsolicited very good audio reports.
This unit does not have any audio mods but this winter I think I am going to raise the audio grid load resistor to a higher value and perhaps by-pass the clipper and low pass audio filter.
Other than that....I am totally happy with this rig and recommend that if any of these units are seen....just buy it.

Your going to continue to enjoy the Johnson 500.  Runs legal limit AM and sounds good to boot.  Its a very well made transmitter and with some simple audio mods it can sound even better.  Its a very reliable piece of gear in the proper hands.

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 01:15:19 PM »

A real 1961 manufacture Valiant.  Grin

(Technically, I presently own both types, a Johnson and a Plymouth.
My Plymouth is a relic, and that pic is not mine...)

* PLYMOUTH-VALIANT-1.jpg (239.59 KB, 1039x589 - viewed 494 times.)

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 01:19:31 PM »

Looks like it also crapped out...
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 05:38:54 PM »

Looks like it also crapped out...

Not really. The power stages are usually fine. The problem with that one is probably the dashboard push-button variable gear oscillator.
KA2DZT

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 11:38:19 PM »

A real 1961 manufacture Valiant.  Grin

(Technically, I presently own both types, a Johnson and a Plymouth.
My Plymouth is a relic, and that pic is not mine...)

With all the problems Philip seems to have with his, I'm glad I never owned a Valiant.  But wait, I just remembered, I did own a Valiant, but it had a slant six.

What motor does yours have??

Fred
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 10:14:08 AM »

Go for the polysphere 318.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 09:05:54 PM »

That rolling pig had the first production 170 slant six (later came the 225), engineered to be unable to rev above about 3,000rpm! Classic. I actually replaced the several automatic transmissions that died in it with a 3 speed stick on the floor - disabling the space age push buttons. Sad

Top speed was about 75.
20mpg no matter what you did...

Took that thing across the country though. It was fairly young as cars go at the time.

A hemi in that would make it into a rocket, probably unstable due to the weight distribution, but a few sacks of sand in place of the spare tire in the back might fix that problem. Or maybe lead weights bolted to the unibody?

Don't forget the spongy "torsion bar" front suspension! With a sway bar put in, it might have actually been ok, it would have squatted down substantially on turns... the leaf springs on the back, absolutely did not match rates even vaguely.

Keep in mind that this thing was in that day a "compact car"! It's fairly huge by today's standards. I fit washing machines and refrigerators in the back of that! Try that today with something like a Subaru...

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 09:57:59 PM »

My first car was a 62 Valiant slant 6, 4 door sedan, automatic with push buttons on the dash. Did some street racing with it; never lost a transmission. Seemed to be a magnet for other cars. Had to replace both doors, on the driver's side, at different times, in less then a year. No leg room in the rear; my dad like to sit in the rear. Finally sold it and bought a 64 Plymouth Sport Fury two door hardtop with 4 on the floor and a 383 engine. That was a cruisin' chick magnet.

Mine was identical to this picture except it was dark metallic turquoise.

* ply-64sp-fury-1.jpg (2422.27 KB, 2250x867 - viewed 471 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 11:51:02 PM »

My first car was a 71 Duster with a slant 6. That lead to a 73 340 Duster which I had for 15 years. Had two 1965 Barracuda's, one with the 273 4 Barrel with manual 4-speed using a Hurst shifter. Pretty much done with Mopar's these days except for a 99 Dodge Stratus that refuses to die.

Doesn't Pat KD5OEI have a Valiant parked in the driveway?

Jim
Wd5JKO
WA2ROC
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 07:29:08 AM »

No Valiant for me.  This was my '65 Barracuda, purchased from the first owner who had logged up 180,000 miles on the 225 slant six.  They were a military family who crossed the USA every time dad got transferred.

It still ran fine but I put another 60K miles on it and rebuilt the engine.  Bored it out a bit, shaved the head a bit, added a 3/4 race solid lifter cam and a glass pac muffler, and the old TorqueFlite tranny took every bit of the decent amount of power.

I put another 100,000 miles on it over the years and sold it to a radio station manager from South Carolina who wanted to do a frame-up restoration and make it their "station car".

As far as I know, it's still on the road.

* cuda.jpg (222.07 KB, 1300x844 - viewed 460 times.)

Dick Pettit WA2ROC 
Vintage Heathkit Equipment
If You Cannot Stand Behind Our Troops, Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!
ka4koe
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 08:07:28 AM »

Finished the Timtron mods, Phase 1 Audio. I talked with Timmy the other evening and got the thumbs up. He said I no longer sounded like I had a sock in my mouth. I assume this is high praise from the Master.

First vehicle was a 66 Fairlane, 289 V8, two barrel carb. Purchased from my Dad for $400 in 1983. I looked up underneath the dash and saw daylight. Pinestraw had collected inside the vent plenum and totally rusted it out. Nice car.

* '66_Ford_Fairlane_Sedan_(Sterling_Ford).jpg (331.89 KB, 1920x1105 - viewed 455 times.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015