The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:08:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The way-back machine is getting some TLC  (Read 2174 times)
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« on: December 05, 2014, 07:21:30 PM »

Back in 1959 or so I bought my first transmitter, a used WRL Globe Scout 40A direct from Leo Myerson in Council Bluffs. After a long search I have found a replacement so I can pretend I'm sixteen years old again. It looks to be in fantastic original shape, all original with no mods at all.

I just ordered a big batch or capacitors and power resistors to replace those sixty year old components. The only other things to require a redo are the metal ring that holds the meter in place and the microphone connector. It's all there, just not as new. I've actually got a Globe Scout 65B I can use for a donor rig if necessary, but I'd rather not as it's in great shape as it is.

My replacement S-38 (no suffix) is all restored and purty as can be waiting for its Globe Scout to come play.

It won't be a fast transformation, but hopefully complete sometime over the winter. I'm not a techie like you guys, but hopefully this will be a project I can handle!

Jack
WA2OLZ
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:36:38 PM »

Nice!! Looking forward to the future posts of the progress!

AMI#1684
KA2DZT

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 03:08:33 AM »

Jack,

You may not be a teckie, but I'm sure there are folks here on the forum that know that set and can offer any help you may need.

Good luck with it.

Fred
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 07:14:23 PM »

Found today the mic connector had been munged up at some point in the past. Ordered a new replacement online. Also discovered the meter is held in place by a pot metal (?) tensioning ring that had been popped. Internet wisdom indicates it's a pretty common failure. I tried a kludge fix with a wide tie wrap that almost worked. Then took a shot in the dark with a question to a guy advertising on QTH.COM for old Globe transmitters. He had the ring and was willing to part with it. Hot Dog!

We're on the way.......  QRX   QRX   QRX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015