The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 01:28:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammarlund SP-600: From derelict to beauty, a restoration project  (Read 23925 times)
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2015, 08:55:54 PM »

Get a 9.4 kc filter and connect the diode load to a hi-fi amp, and your 51J-4 will sound as good as your SP-600, probably better. Trust me, I've had both.

And if you want to go super hi-fi, put an RC coupler in one of the filter slots. Now you can have 13/14 kc bandwidth with gentle skirts, just like the SP.
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2015, 09:14:55 PM »

Get a 9.4 kc filter and connect the diode load to a hi-fi amp, and your 51J-4 will sound as good as your SP-600, probably better. Trust me, I've had both.

And if you want to go super hi-fi, put an RC coupler in one of the filter slots. Now you can have 13/14 kc bandwidth with gentle skirts, just like the SP.
Nice reply. I sold my 51J-4 last year after I decided I didn't really need it anymore.
Perhaps if I find another one that is worthy of getting right, I will. My last example was not a very good one and had factory made problems I didn't want to deal with. I have owned 3 of them over the years. For AM, they are not in the same class as the R-390 in my experience but they do have more going on for CW.
Anyway, the SP-600 has been going all day and it is amazingly stable and SWEET!

"Life is too short for QRP"
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2015, 10:49:58 PM »

That was not to take anything away from the SP-600. They can sound fantastic. I had a very nice one. The big tuning knob made it a great band cruiser. Over time it got pushed aside as I used the 51J and the Super Pro 400 more. I think Todd, KA1KAQ has it now.

Congrats on your skillful resto.
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2015, 02:46:21 PM »

Thank you. Smiley
Receivers are interesting for so many reasons. My collection is modest compared to most. I have sold off much of my collection due to my changing needs and lacking interest in having the "Best" or "Most" of the crop. I currently own what I consider to be the finest of the era with the exception of a couple that are out of my reach. I sure wish I still had the Racal RA-17L but I didn't use it often enough to warrant the rack space and while it's perhaps one of the best ever made, it never became my go to receiver. The SP-600 project came about from my remorse for having sold my other one, and the fact that it only cost me 90 dollars... delivered! It may not have the selectivity and CW capabilities of the 51J-4 but for band cruising, it's hard to beat and is just a blast to use. It has a vibe about it. On the other hand, the "J" had a dull audio quality to it that I never liked unless I bypassed the awful audio circuit and drove the signal into an audio mixer, then it sounded very nice. I did the same with one of my 75A-4's and that made a huge difference. This 600 will likely be coupled with the Johnson Ranger and parked on 10 meters where it hears very well. Maybe one day when my utter contempt for the CCA wears off, I might have some ambition to get another J or at the very least, a 75A-3. Both are very great receivers. For now, the 600, R-390, AR-88 & HRO 5TA1 are plenty. The NC-300 also does a fine job coupled with the GK-500-C. Life is good here.

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2015, 03:36:15 PM »

I've owned two 32Vs, an R-388, a 75A, and two 51J-4s. Still have a 32V, 75A and 51J-4. The CCA never bothered me. I wouldn't even know it existed other than when someone else mentions the name. As the song goes, I ain't here to judge or please.....  Smiley
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2015, 04:44:09 PM »

I've owned two 32Vs, an R-388, a 75A, and two 51J-4s. Still have a 32V, 75A and 51J-4. The CCA never bothered me. I wouldn't even know it existed other than when someone else mentions the name. As the song goes, I ain't here to judge or please.....  Smiley
Well stated. My 32V-3 & 75A-1 was a fun station. I kept it parked on 40 meters.
I was impressed with one feature of the 75A-1 in that I could hear stations way down in the
noise and still have intelligibility. Mine seemed to have a certain "it" that no other receiver I have ever owned. When I decided to pair down my collection, I sold those off.
BTW, is it me, or does the 32V weigh more than any other transmitter of it's size?
A brutal beast to move.

w1vtp

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2015, 10:12:55 PM »

I've owned two 32Vs, an R-388, a 75A, and two 51J-4s. Still have a 32V, 75A and 51J-4. The CCA never bothered me. I wouldn't even know it existed other than when someone else mentions the name. As the song goes, I ain't here to judge or please.....  Smiley
Well stated. My 32V-3 & 75A-1 was a fun station. I kept it parked on 40 meters.
I was impressed with one feature of the 75A-1 in that I could hear stations way down in the
noise and still have intelligibility. Mine seemed to have a certain "it" that no other receiver I have ever owned. When I decided to pair down my collection, I sold those off.
BTW, is it me, or does the 32V weigh more than any other transmitter of it's size?
A brutal beast to move.

At 105 lbs it's a gut buster
N6YW
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 11:26:44 AM »

Here it was as of a year ago. Brutal to lift but it's with a friend now who loves it and is now "his burden" to lift.  Grin

* N6YW_AM.jpg (66.35 KB, 960x496 - viewed 476 times.)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015