The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:41:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacement 5 Position Switch (S4 on diagram) for EF Johnson Ranger  (Read 2673 times)
w5gw

« on: November 12, 2014, 09:11:39 PM »

Has anybody got one of these or have a source for a replacement? This is the power, etc. 5 position rotary ceramic switch to left of the VFO dial.

Thanks,

Gary W5GW
WD8KDG

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:40:46 AM »

Gary,

Does anyone have hens teeth? Grin

Last month some lucky person found a NOS Ranger function switch at the Rickreall fester in Orygun. Wish it were me.

So: If'en your issue is just a burned toasted contact, common problem with Rangers; take a good look at the toasted switch. With luck there is an unused contact of the same length. I've used a Dremil tool with a small cutter to remove the rivet holding the burned contact and a good one. Then with a very small machine screw & nut, place the good contact where needed.

Hope this helps.

Craig

Ham radio is now like the surprise in a box of "Cracker-Jacks". There is a new source of RFI every day.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 08:13:56 PM »

Has anybody got one of these or have a source for a replacement? This is the power, etc. 5 position rotary ceramic switch to left of the VFO dial.

Thanks,

Gary W5GW

Gary,

Let me take a look and see if I still have my parts Ranger.  If so and if it has a switch, I will send it down to you.

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
wa3dsp

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 01:17:36 AM »

Not sure if you resolved this but it is a common problem on the Ranger. I don't remember exactly what I did when I restored and mod'ed mine several years ago but here is a pretty detail link on my restoration including details with closeup photos on the switch changes. You may not want to do what I did but just presenting it as an option.

http://www.crompton.com/hamradio/JohnsonRanger/RangerRestoration.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015