The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:05:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mysterious transmitter  (Read 14596 times)
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2014, 10:56:09 AM »

Looks like a great transmitter for 600 meters!

--Shane
KD6VXI
N1BCG

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2014, 10:27:59 PM »

For those curious about what information this transmitter used to send to pilots in flight, tune to 3.485kc SSB most evenings. New York and Gander Radio transmit TWEB (Transcribed Weather En route Broadcast) announcements for the Northeast. If you live near an airport, the ATIS transmission, usually on VHF in the 130mc area, offers a very good example.

Both of these services should be searchable on the net.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2014, 07:42:05 PM »

I like to use New York Radio as a propogation indicator, I usually can hear it on all 4 frequencies throughout the day (3485, 6604, 10051, and 13270). There still are a few NDBs down in the 200 to 400 khz area, CLB on 216 khz is probably the easiest to hear.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2014, 07:48:12 PM »

The LF NDBs don't transmit anything like what you'll hear on the HF weather radio stations like NYR and Gander. Also, the signals are quite different. One is modulated CW, the other SSB voice.
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2014, 01:17:07 AM »

The LF NDBs don't transmit anything like what you'll hear on the HF weather radio stations like NYR and Gander. Also, the signals are quite different. One is modulated CW, the other SSB voice.

Back in the 1980s I used to ferry aircraft overseas and could listen to BBC4 on 200 kc half way across the north Atlantic on the ADF, just don't try to navigate on the skywave! Good programming and the shipping forecasts! For the last couple of hundred miles the ADF would be reliable.

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2014, 07:41:37 PM »

Aha,, The shipping forecasts. For those not familiar,

http://www.npr.org/2013/12/16/249722733/the-shipping-forecast-from-britains-seas-into-its-soul

I recommend you click "Listen to the story" at the top.

Good Stuff Greg!
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2014, 12:20:06 AM »

Aha,, The shipping forecasts. For those not familiar,

http://www.npr.org/2013/12/16/249722733/the-shipping-forecast-from-britains-seas-into-its-soul

I recommend you click "Listen to the story" at the top.

Good Stuff Greg!

Great story, thanks!

Just add music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDUk11Z0bkQ

There are warnings of gales in Viking, Forties, Cromarty, Forth, Fisher, Dover, Wight, Portland, Plymouth, Finisterre, Sole, Lundy, Fastnet, Shannon, Rockall, Malin, Hebrides, Bailey, Fair Isle, Faroes and Southeast Iceland. The general synopsis at one eight double-O: low just north of Viking, nine double-seven, moving steadily east-northeast.

Low 300 miles south of Iceland. Atlantic low forming, moving steadily northeast. A ridge of high pressure has swayed between North and South Utsire. The area forecast for the next twenty-four hours. Viking, Forties, Cromarty, Forth.

Atlantic low forming, moving staedily Northeast. A ridge of high pressure has swayed between North and South Urtsoire. The area forecast for the next twenty four hours. Viking, Forties, Cromanty, Forth

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2014, 01:33:00 AM »

[/quote}
Back in the 1980s I used to ferry aircraft overseas and could listen to BBC4 on 200 kc half way across the north Atlantic on the ADF, just don't try to navigate on the skywave! Good programming and the shipping forecasts! For the last couple of hundred miles the ADF would be reliable.
[/quote]

Not to pick-a-nit but BBC4/World Service is on 198kc, I'm listening to it right now...   Cool

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2014, 01:37:55 AM »

[/quote}

Not to pick-a-nit but BBC4/World Service is on 198kc, I'm listening to it right now...   Cool

[/quote]

Back then it was at 200kc, but due to the 9kc spacing scheme of the Eurozone they had to move it down 2kc.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015