The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:59:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 3000 Discontinued  (Read 15087 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: October 06, 2014, 05:38:27 PM »

From Flex (Tim, W4TME): https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/flex-3000-is-gone

Moving On...................

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 06:36:08 AM »

I wonder where the Flex people are buying replacement radios?? Or are they getting sucked into the 6000 series, thinking they are in heaven?
Anan and Hermes might be taking a big bite outta Flex
There's a slew of Felxradios of all models for sale in eHam classifieds.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 09:15:59 AM »

The price of the newly released 6300 and it being a full fledged DDC SDR with a fast ADC, DAC and FPGA chain vs. the not much cheaper 3000 based on sound card, now archaic limited bandwidth technology made dropping the 3000 inevitable. 

A 5 to 10 watt 6000 QRP series similar to the Anan 10, if produced, will also make the 1500 the next box on the chopping block.

I believe Flex is heading towards one software platform, but may continue to support Power SDR, etc. on a limited basis.

None of my comments are original other than agreeing with the general trend of ADC based DDC SDR's dominating the SDR market regardless of maker.
Companies have every right to adapt to hot, emerging and technologically advancing markets and drop lines not providing sufficient bottom line in consumer electronics.

RICK  *W3RSW*
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 12:09:39 PM »

The price of the newly released 6300 and it being a full fledged DDC SDR with a fast ADC, DAC and FPGA chain vs. the not much cheaper 3000 based on sound card, now archaic limited bandwidth technology made dropping the 3000 inevitable. 

A 5 to 10 watt 6000 QRP series similar to the Anan 10, if produced, will also make the 1500 the next box on the chopping block.

I believe Flex is heading towards one software platform, but may continue to support Power SDR, etc. on a limited basis.

None of my comments are original other than agreeing with the general trend of ADC based DDC SDR's dominating the SDR market regardless of maker.
Companies have every right to adapt to hot, emerging and technologically advancing markets and drop lines not providing sufficient bottom line in consumer electronics.
You are correct Rick/Pete
the wave of the future is digital conversion of RF and do away with the sound card woes.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 12:37:36 PM »

Extremely well stated Rick.  Technology is moving so rapidly that most products will be short lived from a production standpoint.  At some point the SDR rigs will be no different than your LCD flat screen, when it breaks you just chuck it and buy a new one. 

Even though I appreciate what the SDR platforms do, its still not my choice for a Ham station but that's whats neat about the hobby, something for everyone or almost everyone!

Joe, GMS
A

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 08:10:19 PM »

I have an Afedri SDR which +/- is a Perseus (cheaper and not as good a front end, but similar philosophy) and it's nice not having to mess with the sound card.  I had a Flex 1000 briefly and couldn't wait to get rid of the damn thing.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 11:12:24 PM »

I thought the 5000 was quite good for a 100 watt radio, the 3000 had a loud fan, and I never had the 1500.
I only do AM so any 25 watt radio does not interest me other than as an exciter, but the receivers are very nice.
Even the 3000 was a very good receiver.
I have an sdr-iq now, which is nice because its cheap, it works with a number of programs, its very small, and its usb powered.
Makes a great band scope, all mode RX, all bands.
Its not quite as good as the homebrew on the lower bands, but its close, those new Flex radios are going to be much better, and no delay since they are ethernet based. All my computers have a lot of delay through the usb systems...

I wish they made an RX only unit, the next closest thing is the rf space net-sdr for $1000.00.
That works with various programs which is nice.

Its funny how old and dated powersdr looks now...
So far, its not worth it to upgrade from the sdr-iq, but if I had loads of spare cash, I would get a flex 6300.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 01:12:49 AM »

I wish they made an RX only unit, the next closest thing is the rf space net-sdr for $1000.00.

When Flex first announced the 6000 Series, it included a Flex 6700R receiver. Looks like they no longer offer this model.
http://radioworld.ca/flex-6700r-p-10701.html

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 04:26:29 AM »

Its funny how old and dated powersdr looks now...
So far, its not worth it to upgrade from the sdr-iq, but if I had loads of spare cash, I would get a flex 6300.

The Afredri emulates a SDR-IP.  Comes in either dual-front end (diversity) or single front end models.  $259.

I've attached mine to a wireless router so I can use it on any laptop around the house.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
w1vtp

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 01:38:26 PM »

<snip>

I never had the 1500.
<snip>

I have the 1500.  I use it as the exciter / receiver for my class E station.  When the 1500 has been properly initiated, it's a great little transceiver.  However, I have learned to look at the output before I begin to transmit because occasionally the RF output does some sort of pulsing thing + the signals sound very strange.  When that happens, I close PSDR, turn off the 1500, turn it back on and reload PSDR and it seems to work OK.

I was told they use the old USB 1.0 on that transceiver.  If so, that may be what's the problem I'm having with it.  The computer was built specifically with the Flex 1500 and 5000 in mind.  I have never had any of these symptoms with the 5000

In the  uploaded pic, the 1500 is under the left hand edge of the monitor.

All

* CLASS E STATION 09272014 (CROP-COMP).jpg (559.27 KB, 4280x2685 - viewed 477 times.)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 02:38:25 PM »

I have the 1500.  I use it as the exciter / receiver for my class E station.  When the 1500 has been properly initiated, it's a great little transceiver.  However, I have learned to look at the output before I begin to transmit because occasionally the RF output does some sort of pulsing thing + the signals sound very strange.  When that happens, I close PSDR, turn off the 1500, turn it back on and reload PSDR and it seems to work OK.

I was told they use the old USB 1.0 on that transceiver.  If so, that may be what's the problem I'm having with it.  The computer was built specifically with the Flex 1500 and 5000 in mind.  I have never had any of these symptoms with the 5000

All

The maximum interconnect cable length, roughly 15 feet maximum, complies with USB 1.1.

w1vtp

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 05:22:43 PM »

All

The maximum interconnect cable length, roughly 15 feet maximum, complies with USB 1.1.

Dunno what the cable length is  except it's the one Flex supplies - probably 5 - 6 ft...  Handy info tho'

a
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 08:52:50 PM »

Al,
I have the same dbx 286s that your cat's lying on.  Only reason I got it was for the preamp so I could amplify the Shure SM7B's lower than normal /balanced output. It was a package deal from BCWorldwide, almost a gimmie. Do you like it?  Do you Use the other compressor, etc. features?

I used a floating single output (pin one problem, etc., one end only grounded,) to my K3.  Later on added a ground wire from the mic input mounting screw directly to station ground.  Do you have any ferrites on lines going in or out? Any RF feedback problems with yours?

I also installed an AC switch in mine right next to the AC input jack in rear, RF bypassed by some .01's/1kv internally.

Thanks and nice shack lash up you have there.  

-Rick

RICK  *W3RSW*
w1vtp

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 09:37:55 PM »

Al,
I have the same dbx 286s that your cat's lying on.  Only reason I got it was for the preamp so I could amplify the Shure SM7B's lower than normal /balanced output. It was a package deal from BCWorldwide, almost a gimmie. Do you like it?  Do you Use the other compressor, etc. features?

I used a floating single output (pin one problem, etc., one end only grounded,) to my K3.  Later on added a ground wire from the mic input mounting screw directly to station ground.  Do you have any ferrites on lines going in or out? Any RF feedback problems with yours?

I also installed an AC switch in mine right next to the AC input jack in rear, RF bypassed by some .01's/1kv internally.

Thanks and nice shack lash up you have there.  

-Rick

I like it a lot.  At first, I tried using the EQ that is below it but found it was unnecessary..  I do use the compression (density) feature on AM all the time.  I turn off the density when I am using the Flex 5000 because I think it's tweaking my audio for some reason

Good idea on the switch

Al
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 09:38:13 PM »

Its a 12 bit box though, limited dynamic range.
The sdr-ip is a 16 bit unit.
The sdr-iq is a 14 bit unit, with band filters, preamp and attenuators, so I do not see any advantage in the Afredri besides the ethernet interface.

I am waiting for a 16 bit unit with the ethernet interface at a reasonable price.

[/quote]

The Afredri emulates a SDR-IP.  Comes in either dual-front end (diversity) or single front end models.  $259.

I've attached mine to a wireless router so I can use it on any laptop around the house.
[/quote]
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 10:00:05 PM »

I'm waiting for the 20-bit SDRs. The 16-bit units are far too limited on dynamic range.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 05:53:07 AM »

I'm still waiting for the flying cars they promised us in the 40's.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 09:47:03 AM »

I'm waiting for the 20-bit SDRs. The 16-bit units are far too limited on dynamic range.

Steve,
I knew there was a reason I did not take the plunge  Wink!
Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 11:48:04 AM »

The next one will always be the best.  Wink
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2014, 01:13:37 PM »

Well.
Ive put two 16 bits in series and have all the dynamism of 32.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2014, 01:36:01 PM »

You are very dynamic Rick.
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 09:34:38 PM »

16 bits is good enough for the real world, 14 works ok but you may have to adjust gain at times.
12 bits is very limited.
The qs1r is 16 bits, the new flex radios are 16, as are the net-sdr and sdr-ip from RF space, and the Persius receiver.
I am not sure, but I suspect my sdr-iq is a bit noisier then some other receivers because its a 14 bit unit.

I think only the government has stuff that is above 16 bit$.

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2014, 09:42:02 PM »

70-80 dB of DNR is enough for 99% of conditions, 100% if you aren't a contester. In other words, 12-bits is FB.

Sound cards are 24-bits.

Lots of hype, little understanding.
w1vtp

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2014, 10:19:26 PM »

FYI:  Rob has updated his receiver tests

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

Al
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 12:36:18 AM »

Wow, the new flex stuff has a quiet clock!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015