The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:28:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Switching Power Supply Parts  (Read 2733 times)
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« on: August 09, 2014, 07:00:11 AM »

Hey Guys,

The power supply on one of my machines took a dump. I've got another one on order. I'm going to be scrapping the old one for whatever parts I can use now or later. I have a question about the toroids in computer power supplies. Are they any good for anything ham radio related?

tnx

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 09:09:55 AM »

Randy,

Well a lot depends on how much time you have, and how much you like to tinker.

To me, a computer supply carcass has the same appeal today of what an old TV did when I was a kid. There it was sitting in an alley next to the trash cans. Next thing I had a 5u4 and a 6Bg6 in my pocket...the makings of a CW rig.

In the computer supply there will be a plethora of parts: full wave bridge, HV and LV filter caps, power FET, power diodes, resistors, caps, heat sink(s), hardware, lots of nice wire, etc. If you gutted the whole thing, you could make an entire junk box from which you could build things, modify stuff. The same is true with a compact CFL lamp. In the base is a treasure chest full of parts....enough to make a QRP rig, or even a transceiver using a regenerative detector / oscillator.

Those toroids in the CPS are usually a common mode power line filter. The permeability of the cores is extremely high. They are best for 1 Mhz down. Could be used for an audio inductor in a LC circuit, or perhaps a speaker crossover device, etc. The ferrite transformers are good for switching supplies from 50-500 Khz or so, and if you can disassemble them, then you could re-purpose them to your own needs such as a DC to DC converter to fulfill some special need.

Have fun, experiment, and learn.  Cool

Jim
Wd5JKO
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 09:30:40 AM »

I was mainly going to repurpose the fans, heatsinks and cores. I wasn't thinking much about  component level. This thing let out a huge belch of smoke and fire when it blew and looking at it's innards it looks like one of the transformers arced. There's black zorch marks on it. On the bottom side of the board there are some melted solder pads and traces. It's about 10 years old so it's served me well.

What I can't understand is why it let go when it did. It was running fine at the old place, 24/7 as usual, I get to the new place plugged it in and kerblewy out came the magic smoke and fire too! It smelled real bad.

In my experience the worse that it smells the more costly it is to replace. But I got lucky this time. On'y $18 shipped. That is of course if it's just the power supply and not the motherboard, or if the supply didn't take out the motherboard. It shouldn't have, the computer wasn't even on when it let loose.

Anyway, it sounds like the cores are pretty much useless unless I'm building a QRP AM BC band transmitter. I was hoping I could use them for at least some RFI solutions.

tnx

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 03:39:57 PM »

I was mainly going to repurpose the fans, heatsinks and cores. I wasn't thinking much about  component level. This thing let out a huge belch of smoke and fire when it blew and looking at it's innards it looks like one of the transformers arced. There's black zorch marks on it. On the bottom side of the board there are some melted solder pads and traces. It's about 10 years old so it's served me well.

What I can't understand is why it let go when it did. It was running fine at the old place, 24/7 as usual, I get to the new place plugged it in and kerblewy out came the magic smoke and fire too! It smelled real bad.

In my experience the worse that it smells the more costly it is to replace. But I got lucky this time. On'y $18 shipped. That is of course if it's just the power supply and not the motherboard, or if the supply didn't take out the motherboard. It shouldn't have, the computer wasn't even on when it let loose.

Anyway, it sounds like the cores are pretty much useless unless I'm building a QRP AM BC band transmitter. I was hoping I could use them for at least some RFI solutions.

tnx

Really the best move was what you did. Heat sinks and such are good for projects. Components may be defective under load or energized and pretty much useless. Can't go wrong in our throw-away world and buy an operational unit for $18.00. When they crap out I go online and problem solved in a few days. I do not have time to play around guessing.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015