The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:34:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your connection to the internet  (Read 8765 times)
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« on: January 16, 2005, 09:08:38 AM »

I need to know the breakdown of dial-up/dsl/cable/ users I have here.

This will help me to determine the types of programs and features  we can consider for the site.

TNX

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 09:24:31 AM »

Gary,
    Mine is dial-up due to the fact I live out in the country. I asked Verizon what the projected date for DSL would be and they couldn't give me any date other than it won't be in the near future. The cable co. stops about 1/2 mile away and won't come any further. Forget DirectWav. Too much money to outlay and too much for monthly service. I have been toying with the idea of starting up a rural WIFI service if it is feasible. I'm not a business major but I'm kind of curious if there are people who live in the 'Boonies' that would subscribe to this kind of service.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 10:22:24 AM »

Direcway satellite (other) at home, T3 at work.

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA2ONK
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 12:53:10 PM »

Gary,
     Connection here via dialup.

Chuck  wa2onk
w3duq

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 01:29:33 PM »

amish here. there is a huge section of the screen filled up with emoticons on the left, whats up with that?

bill  w3duq
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 01:48:12 PM »

Quote from: W3SLK
Gary,
    Mine is dial-up due to the fact I live out in the country ... I'm kind of curious if there are people who live in the 'Boonies' that would subscribe to this kind of service.

Well, take heart.  You have Mr. Powell and Mr. Bush working in your interest.  They plan to soon deliver broadband directly to your nearest a.c. outlet via BPL.:rock:

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005, 01:58:51 PM »

Quote from: w3duq
amish here. there is a huge section of the screen filled up with emoticons on the left, whats up with that?

It's a pain here too Bill. Cuts my Edit screen to almost 50% smaller than what it use to be.
It's the animated stuff Gary has on the bottom of the Emoticon choice window.  :gib: It spreads out the Emoticon choice window. Those animated guys should be put in the "Drop-down" window, "View more Emoticons". Then I believe the "Post a Reply" screen and the left side "choose an Emoticon" will shrink to what it use to be.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 02:02:23 PM »

Quote from: k4kyv
Quote from: W3SLK
Gary,
    Mine is dial-up due to the fact I live out in the country ... I'm kind of curious if there are people who live in the 'Boonies' that would subscribe to this kind of service.

Well, take heart.  You have Mr. Powell and Mr. Bush working in your interest.  They plan to soon deliver broadband directly to your nearest a.c. outlet via BPL.:rock:

The concept is sound and can provide access to rural customers, but the technology isn't there yet.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Powell
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 05:22:40 PM »

The concept of BPL if interference can be ELIMINATED works only for urban areas. It's too costly for very rural areas.  It won't go PAST power transformers.

Powell :mrgreen:
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 05:43:14 PM »

From a cost standpoint, I don't think anyone in a truly rural area will see BPL in their lifetime.  Structured additions in the country might where the population denisity would make it plausable could have it, although developers in those areas are planting fiber and cable.  BPL is a poor idea about 20 years too late.

My independent telephone company is providing me DSL and planted a node about 1/4 mile from my house.  The switch is 7 miles from the node.  The big companies aren't going to spring for that expense, unless they wise up and bundle services.  Right now people in rural areas are limited to dialup and satellite.
wavebourn
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 05:55:35 PM »

Do we have a chance to get BPL ready Sun computers? "The network is the computer" (c) :cool:
Roy K8VWX
Contributing

Pr. 4 -1000s Mod Pr. 5868

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2005, 11:17:04 PM »

Wireless very high speed here from 4.2 miles away.$30.00 a month not bad
KL7OF

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 12:54:38 AM »

If BPL signals Radiate from power lines. they must also be subject to interference from other signals of like or harmonic frequency....Is it possible to access and decode /interact/hack into a BPL signal thru an RF signal??with no diredt hookup ....or thru the electrical outlet??
w1es
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 09:48:00 PM »

768k DSL here.  Could choose to have Comcast cable but I've got a small company (Prospeed) providing my DSL who knows what customer service is all about.  For the slight loss in speed, I get to talk to real human beings when I have a rare problem.

As far as BPL goes, I think the nail has been hit on the head here:  it still won't fly in rural areas due to the lack of population density.  Wireless will be the way to go for those folks.  I feel that BPL will be the 8-track tape of the current period -- if it lasts THAT long.
Dana WA1HUM
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 09:02:45 PM »

Well I guess I have got to be put down for DSL having just it going tonight.  Took a bit of doing and Verizon took a while to get their act together but now the speed is pretty nifty.
Draina
K1KV
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 11:13:30 PM »

Dial-up.
W2JBL

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005, 12:00:02 AM »

a blinding 43999 kb/s dialup here. we had DSL at work, but the RF noise from it was so bad we had to yank it out (nice work, Verizon!) and went to cable broadband. can't get that at this place due to the "unusual" cable installation we have.  if i spray RAID on the half page of "emoticons" on the left will they drop off my screen forever?
W8ER
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 04:13:11 AM »

Mark said:
Yup! We all know Kerry was well versed in BPL, and would've nixed it regardless of the money interests out there.

Hmmmm  ..  and you voted for ..?  :oops:

--Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015