The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:39:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mosley CM-1 Receiver  (Read 8518 times)
K5MIL
« on: July 17, 2014, 04:16:59 PM »

Recently finished the restoration of my Mosley CM-1 receiver. I posted the restoration process on my web site for anyone interested.

http://radioremembered.org/mosleycm-1.html

Bill - K5MIL
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 07:53:14 PM »

That's a pretty cool receiver. Double conversion and small.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 08:30:51 PM »

Bill,

Nice writeup and it is an interesting and very compact receiver.  I have mine paired with a Johnson Adventurer.

A Q multiplier greatly improves the performance of this little Mosley receiver.

Rodger WQ9E
K5MIL
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 12:41:47 AM »

Thanks Rodger, cute second op you got there. Just curious, is your CM-1 front panel the same paint scheme as mine or the one with all gray and black dial estuscheon, and would like to know the serial number of yours if you don't mind. I am trying to put together a list of serial numbes.

73 - Bill
WQ9E

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 07:34:29 AM »

Bill,

My CM-1 is the same color scheme as your receiver.  Serial # 1313-2-62.  I picked it up at the Princeton/Starved Rock IL hamfest around 12 years ago.

Rodger WQ9E
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 07:36:44 AM »

That's a pretty cool receiver. Double conversion and small.

Another neat feature is that all the tubes are type 6AW8.

Jim
Wd5JKO
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 08:46:54 AM »

Had one for a number of years. We had one as a demo in our Lafayette store, and when Mosley dropped them, I picked it up for cost. Worthless receiver on a crowded and/or noisy band. Shortwave wave bleed-through on the lower bands was terrible. Finally just used it as an adjunct to my 6 and 2 meter nuvistor converters. Wasn't sad when I finally dumped it at a flea market.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 08:53:47 AM »

Maybe the word got around that the power transformer cooked a little too often. Five of the 6aw8 tubes at 600 ma each for filaments plus the attendant HV draw is the equivalent of ten "normal" 300 ma series 7 pin miniatures,  right up there in HQ-110 country but with a transformer one third size of the 110's.  Good choice converting to rectifier bridge.

Curious how the day to day operation as far as AVC action and intermod goes. Looking at the tube specs shoes the 6aw8 pentode section is sharp cutoff.  Might be tough on AVC circuits not having a remote cutoff pentode or two in the lineup.  

I don't think case form factor or size per se made it a bad seller, but the wide open selectivity coupled with strange AVC action might have, even back then.  Pete's nailed it. Also guys may have expected a matching transmitter, same form factor and delayed buying the CM to see what happened later.

But an attractive little guy nonetheless.  Very nice restoration too.

RICK  *W3RSW*
WA7DUY

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 07:05:52 PM »

I had a Mosley CM-1 as my first real novice station receiver.  I was told that it was the Drake 2B wannabe.  I traded up from a SuperPro 100 to the CM-1.  In 1967 and 68 it was a great performer...but then the bands were really good then.  I would like to get another CM-1 and match it with the Eico720 I picked up.  I used that receiver for 2 years before trading up to a Drake R4B.  I used the thing daily and never noticed any problem with the transformer.
WA7DUY

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 01:48:42 AM »

Recently finished the restoration of my Mosley CM-1 receiver. I posted the restoration process on my web site for anyone interested.

http://radioremembered.org/mosleycm-1.html
Bill, what prompted you to get a CM-1 and restore it?  Because it was there?
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 01:11:11 PM »

Bill posted this in 2014. He no longer has an account here.

Neat receiver though. But the meter only reads to 30 over 9. My signal would break the meter!  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015