The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:00:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trio boat anchor R9-59  (Read 15349 times)
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« on: May 03, 2014, 05:08:11 PM »

At an automotive flea market today I picked up a trio R9-59 receiver. Took a lot of haggling and I probably paid too much. Was sort of a gamble and they knew it light up but didn't know if it worked. Well it does and very well. I am somewhat impressed. Also got the original matching speaker. After getting the controls used to working and learning to run it I did some SWLing. CW Am and SSB and am pleasantly surprised. Pretty decent rx to my way of thinking. Q- multiplier works nicely too.

don

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 08:04:02 PM »

The Trio model is 9R-59.
As Trio 9R-59, in the U.S., it's scarce, because it was never sold here. However, it was very common as the Lafayette HE-30, the kit version KT-320, and the later HE-30 (mainly different colored cabinet) called the model HA-230 and it's kit version KT-340. The Lafayette HE-30/KT-320 was a very common model. We sold many many thousands of them. The Trio 9R-59 was also marketed as the Jennen or Jennen-Trio JR-101 for the European market.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
VE3LYX

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 10:32:27 PM »

Thanks Pete, I didn't know that. I am liking it though.
don

ve6pg

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 06:29:08 AM »

...hey don!  i grabbed a 9r-59d abt 2 yrs ago...i'm quite impressed with the am audio out of the thing...seems alittle deaf on the higher bands, but broadcast band, 75m etc., it just sounds great...i found a manual on line, not much there, but found it at
 www.hamdirectory.info
   dont know the difference, but it is fer the "ds" version...
...how ya been?...

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
VE3LYX

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 07:10:31 AM »

I am good Tim.
Been working everyday at the new induction and headers for the dragster. I finally got it done and running as I have first race in two weeks so I had a chance to relax and think of other things.
 The DS looks a bit different with rotary scale instead of Eddystone style scale but otherwise I doubt there is much difference. I had it up on 15 M last night. Q multiplier/BFO had me stumped  but I accidently figured it out. After that I found it is a great working radio. I have up upstairs on a short antenna right now.  I have now bought 4 radios over a 12 year span at this flea market. Last was one of those big Halicrafters Rx s DX300 or something I forget because I only had it a week and someone wanted it. It however didn't work and was pretty rough. This one does and is also in great shape. One tiny mark on the top near the left rear corner but otherwise as produced. Thanks for the link Tim. I wonder what the matching transmitter would be.
don
BTW never had a radio week like this one. Monday I got a old commercial crystal set from my brother in Arkansas , sort of a very early birthday present. Yesterday I scored the R9-59 and I arrived home from church to find a neighbor left this on my front porch no charge complete with original light socket electrifier. I think I am on a roll!

* crystal.jpg (209.08 KB, 994x552 - viewed 520 times.)

* trio3.jpg (274.79 KB, 1094x514 - viewed 740 times.)

* rogers.jpg (145.18 KB, 730x548 - viewed 506 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 03:39:49 PM »

The  9R-59D and 9R-59DS are totally different in style and circuitry from the 9R-59. The 9R-59 has 9 tubes and the 9R-59D has 8 tubes. The 9R-59 was around from roughly 1961-62 and the 9R-59D/DS was around roughly from 1968-74.

9R-59

9R-59DS

You said: "The DS looks a bit different with rotary scale instead of Eddystone style scale but otherwise I doubt there is much difference."

But, in reality, the dial is merely a classic slide dial. I wouldn't put it in the same class as an Eddystone style dial. The 9R-59D/DS were designed to be more compatible and tailored for SSB reception.

ve6pg

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 04:47:58 AM »

ok pete...ya, mine is the second pic...wonder why they kept the same name fer the rcvr, when it is completely different...there was a matching transmitter, but the number escapes me at this point...

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 04:01:19 PM »

ok pete...ya, mine is the second pic...wonder why they kept the same name fer the rcvr, when it is completely different...there was a matching transmitter, but the number escapes me at this point...

..sk..

Product naming generally lies in the minds of the product and marketing managers assigned to the model. We sometimes can be a strange bunch of people when it comes to product and naming id's.

Matching transmitter is the TX-88D:

VE3LYX

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 05:55:22 PM »

Ok that is Tims matching transmitter. Can you help me with the match for mine?
don

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 07:53:39 PM »

Ok that is Tims matching transmitter. Can you help me with the match for mine?
don

No. To my knowledge there was no "matching" transmitter for that model. Back in the "good of days" of late 50's and early 60's, matching receiver/transmitter cosmetics probably wasn't that important to manufacturers. Some did it; others didn't.

VE3LYX

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 09:54:46 PM »

Then it will go good with my homebrew stuff.
Thanks don

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 10:02:34 PM »

Product naming generally lies in the minds of the product and marketing managers assigned to the model. We sometimes can be a strange bunch of people when it comes to product and naming id's.

Strange marketing:  Fabio, Dr. Love, Rico Suave, Dick the Bruiser, Disco Duck, Dual Quads, Mr. Clean !   How much stranger can it get?   Wink

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 10:59:41 PM »

Strange marketing:  Fabio, Dr. Love, Rico Suave, Dick the Bruiser, Disco Duck, Dual Quads, Mr. Clean !   How much stranger can it get?   Wink

T

Some might wonder about the names. A knew a girl that called her car Ollie. "Ollie and I are going out"; "Ollie, we're going to the store"; etc. Maybe you find it easier to address your equipment, if you talk to them (who doesn't talk to their equipment periodically), on a name basis. We're hams and strange by nature. How many "non-strange" people do you know that would climb a tower with a rubber mallet in the middle of winter to unfreeze a rotor?

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 11:33:17 PM »

[ We're hams and strange by nature. How many "non-strange" people do you know that would climb a tower with a rubber mallet in the middle of winter to unfreeze a rotor?

I'll bet that was you?  Oh, the humanity!

It all started for me when I got stuck up on the roof in danger of sliding off the ice as a 13 year old Johnny Novice.  The rescuing OM did not understand why I needed to string a wire from the chimney in January.

As for names of rigs...  you will find the common thread in all mine are they are the corniest I could come up with.  I mean, who on Earth is more corny than Fabio or Rico Suave?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 01:36:41 AM »

How about  "Bulldog Brower" ??

Yaz won't mind.

KLC

* Bulldog_Brower.jpg (5.69 KB, 183x300 - viewed 407 times.)

What? Me worry?
VE3LYX

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 07:58:22 PM »

The saga continues. Yesterday a retired EE came for a visit. He gave me a MK Dymek DC22 when he left . Said it didn't work anymore (does now ;>). I had never heard of such a thing. Looks more like a hi fi then a communications RX yet it works reasonable. It is not something though I like. A bit goofy looking for a communications Rx. Still price was right. What was wrong? Transistors are all socketed. One in particular was not making good contact on its base, (check the basic stuff first rule) Another was iffy. Band switch and SSB Am switches needed some cleaning mostly from sitting idle. It is a very well filtered rx and noise levels are very low however it is not the most sensitive rx I have owned although it is certainly ok. I don't know what I will do with it now that it is working. I guess it was high end in its day. He said he bought the most expensive Rx he could so he would have the best. MMMMMMMM interesting theory but not one I live by. Anyway it was very nice of him to give it to me so I just said " Thank you very much."
I think it sold for about $1300 to $1600 back in the day.

WQ9E

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 08:07:45 PM »

Don,

I have a DR-22C also, it works quite well and sounds great on AM.  It is now my kitchen radio.

Pete, the Trio  TX-88D is a neat looking transmitter, never saw one before.  I have an earlier set of Trio twins along with the receiver and transceiver they made for Allied.

* Trio twins.JPG (554.89 KB, 1600x1067 - viewed 506 times.)

* tx 310 inside.JPG (532.54 KB, 1280x905 - viewed 658 times.)

* Allied 2516_2517.JPG (341.12 KB, 1280x404 - viewed 478 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 08:35:16 PM »

The saga continues. Yesterday a retired EE came for a visit. He gave me a MK Dymek DC22 when he left . Said it didn't work anymore (does now ;>). I had never heard of such a thing. Looks more like a hi fi then a communications RX yet it works reasonable. It is not something though I like. A bit goofy looking for a communications Rx. Still price was right. What was wrong? Transistors are all socketed. One in particular was not making good contact on its base, (check the basic stuff first rule) Another was iffy. Band switch and SSB Am switches needed some cleaning mostly from sitting idle. It is a very well filtered rx and noise levels are very low however it is not the most sensitive rx I have owned although it is certainly ok. I don't know what I will do with it now that it is working. I guess it was high end in its day. He said he bought the most expensive Rx he could so he would have the best. MMMMMMMM interesting theory but not one I live by. Anyway it was very nice of him to give it to me so I just said " Thank you very much."
I think it sold for about $1300 to $1600 back in the day.

Average price of a new DR-22C was about $1100. Nice receiver, I have one:

The McKay Dymek DR-33C was advertised numerous times in QST back in the late 70's. I have one of these too. Like the DR-22C, it has a triple conversion receiver and uses Collins mechanical filters. It sold new for around $1500.

The McKAY Dymek DR-101 is very very similar to the DR-33C except it has electronic scan tuning.

McKay Dymek eventually migrated into Stoner Communications and then, I think, into the mist.

VE3LYX

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 10:18:39 PM »

I am sitting here listening to it right now. Good sound for sure. If you wanted to have  communications receiver in the living room that wouldn't upset the XYL this would be the one for sure. Me though I like ancient receivers and WWII military style. Regens are my favourite and I have several I have made and use regularly. So I think I will leave it here on the desk by my computer and use it for a week or so and see if it grows on me.
don

VE3LYX

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2014, 09:30:51 PM »

I picked this Trio R9-59 rx up at an automotive flea market the first of May. Didn't take much to get it up and running but today is the first I have had it as a rx for ham use. Even though it is only hooked to a broken inverted L that is just hanging at the moment I was able to copy Rube, Bob and the lads quite nicely. Audio is quite nice too. I set it up in Studio A (upstairs ) beside my one tube AM rig so I can quickly try the low power rig from time to time without walking up and down the stairs. Bit of a learning curve learning to run it but it is all coming together now. I am beginning to like it.
don

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 09:45:05 PM »

We have your initial thread here:
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=36369.0

And it's a Trio 9R-59.

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 12:15:14 AM »

Some of us enjoy our dyslexia...

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
VE3LYX

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 08:13:33 AM »

Yes , my apologies. Last week I put  my shoes on backwards. Anyway once I figured out how to run it, it is a pretty good receiver. I had not used it for QSOing before yesterday.
don

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 01:59:16 PM »

Some of us enjoy our dyslexia...

Isn't that deslyxai?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015