The AM Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:04:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM frequencies  (Read 3494 times)
KB5MD
Contributing

« on: April 10, 2014, 02:13:24 PM »

I know this is probably redundant, but I can not seem to find anything.

What are the am freqs. on 15 meters and 10 meters?
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 02:24:46 PM »

Hi Doc,

You can operate AM anywhere not designated CW or digital.

Most AMer's hang out on 21.400 to 21.450 and 29.000 to 29.100 Mhz.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 02:25:55 PM »

See http://www.amwindow.org/freq.htm
AM on 15 meters can generally be found between 21.400 and 21.440 MHz.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 08:00:52 PM »

Or here  http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=33057.0

and here  http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=33059.0
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 11:20:36 AM »

Quite often 'finding' activity involves creating it. Calling CQ and so on. Seems to be a part of ham radio that is dying off with the old timers.

Rather than thinking in terms of specific frequencies, maybe the word area is a better way to approach it. As mentioned, 21.400 - 21.450 and 29.000+ are good places to throw out a few CQs and see what comes of it. Worst thing that can happen is that no one answers, the band isn't open or such.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WX1WX

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 06:01:03 PM »

As a Newer ham who is seriously into Boat Anchors- I too, would like to do more AM, but it sure is quiet out there. All of the Net listings I have found online seem extinct, or have gone silent. I understand the idea of making my own excitement by call CQ…. Guess I better give it a try on the HF bands..

de WX1WX
Currently NE of Pittsburgh
15 April '14

73-
de WX1WX
On the Road in the Airstream
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 07:31:51 PM »

There was a time not too long ago when it was pretty much a given that you could turn on the receiver, tune around in the same, limited area and hear multiple conversations going on. I think a lot of folks who got into AM in the last decade or so just got use to someone else always starting the party for them and being able to drop in and leave at their leisure.

If current activity on the bands is any indication, those days are gone. Between competing interests from family to the internet, and plain old attrition in our ranks, at times it seems more like a ghost town on HF. I think part of this is a result of so many people who 'listened, but didn't hear anyone'.

One thing that was true then is just as true now: activity attracts more activity. When a number of us moved down into the 80m frequencies after the phone bands were expanded, others followed. When the regulars stopped showing up activity waned, but you can still find remnants most days around 3.705, 3.715, and 3.725 where the guys north of the border hang around.

You'd be amazed how fast the band fills up with a few folks calling CQ on a few different frequencies. So many listeners, so few calling. Though there have been times my CQs went unanswered, at least 95% of the time someone comes back. Folks want to work somebody, they've just lost or never had the ability to call CQ. They focus on waiting to hear someone to work.

As the Nike ad said, Just Do It. Especially now with so much activity on the high bands. Especially when you get the 610E on the air. That thing will bore a hole through the aether for you.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WX1WX

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 08:01:33 PM »

I get it… The whole "lurking" thing the Inter-webz breeds may infect other disciples.. The lower bands ARE quiet. The BC-610 will take a while this spring and summer. Until then my trusty Icom-718 with no amplifier will have to do. I think I try to light up the Old 80 Meters AM calling frequency and see what happens… I am not a shy person…

cheers and 73
WX1WX

73-
de WX1WX
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 10:48:21 PM »

I rarely break into existing roundtables. I like one-on-one type QSO's. I generally go find a "quiet" frequency and call CQ. Sometimes I get an answer on AM; sometimes I don't; sometimes a SSB station will call not knowing I'm on AM or they call to tell me I have to much carrier or to many sidebands; sometimes I can convince them to press that AM button on their transceiver; and sometimes I get the response, after a few minutes, of "wow, I didn't know radio could sound so good" or "this AM stuff is great".

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WX1WX

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 07:19:25 AM »

Good points- I am a new ham despite my extra class license (I'm a former broadcast engineer) and am still finding my way around socially on the Air. I do love AM! (and CW) But… all I have thats not-yet-restored is a 100 watt Icom 718, tuner, and really good working end-fed Zepp. Not a lot of Range-- and I'm in the foot hills of Appalachia NE of Pittsburgh. My BC-610 is just recovered from a old garage, full or spider webs and dust. Just in the beginning stages of breathing new life into it...

I am enjoying finding my way around tho-

de WX1WX

73-
de WX1WX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015