The AM Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:51:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For those who like to keep a paper log...  (Read 3617 times)
wd8das

« on: March 31, 2014, 01:16:07 PM »

For those here who like to keep a paper log... You are welcome to download my template for printing your own paper log pages...

http://www.wd8das.net/LogPage.pdf

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston@aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Radio is your best entertainment value.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 08:03:12 PM »

thanks Steve
It can be used to make fast entries for a few months from new contacts or 10 or 6 Meter openings and then enter into a computer logging. The puter will arrange the calls into some sort of order for a quick look-up.

Fred KC4MOP
ka2pbo

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 08:09:18 PM »

Thanks Steve !

I have  paper logs since I was a Novice...32 years now! I also enter them into card files in 2 different boxes..1 for CW and 1 for AM as a quick reference. Its nice to see what you were chatting about the last time you had a QSO with someone.

Rick
KA2PBO
w1vtp

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »

Steve

I did the same thing because the old ARRL log book was too expensive for my yankee wallet.  I never did get used to doing direct entry on a computer logging program.  When I do the transfer, I use an Excel logging worksheet.  The Excel worksheet helps me find entries

Al
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 09:47:55 AM »

I keep a paper log here, and when a sheet is full (50 lines), I type it into Excel and print the whole thing out (sorted, etc.), and 1 blank sheet ready to go.

This has resulted in more than 1000 AM stations logged since I started keeping logs in this manner.  However, personally I find the paper log easier for logging new stations, particularly since the computer is either not turned on, or is busy doing something else such as power SDR or modulation monitoring.

It only takes a few minutes to type the new entries into the computer, and print the entire log.

I'm happy to share my Excel log, including the data for all the stations I've logged if anyone is interested.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 10:18:43 AM »

Thanks Steve, DAS for proving a template for a paper log.  That currently is the only type of log I keep.  I have every one going back to 1966.  I like looking at the old books from time to time and enjoy reading the notes I made in the comment section.   Sadly a lot of those I  chatted with in the 60's are now SK. 

Steve, QIX,
Yep, I would like your Excel based log sheet program if you could pass it along.  It won't replace my paper one, but it would nice to have an electronic copy stored on DVD's. 

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »

I've kept  a mental log since 1964.   They're hiding in there somewhere.   Shocked

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 05:18:07 PM »

I've kept a paper log since the day I was licensed to operate back in 1980.  I do it electronically as well using Excel and I can put in more memorable notes on the contact with the puter.   Got a few good memorable contacts.  

I have a contact from one of my first DX contacts and most memorable which I made electronic from my first log book.  At the time this gent was in England.  That was in 82.  Even have his QSL card. We chatted for nearly an hour on 10m SSB back when 10m was hot.  About a year and a half ago while working DX I stumbled across him as he was working DX toward the states, much to my surprise. I found that he had moved to Finland. He's an older gent now in the care of his daughter.  I happened to do a search on his name and up comes his call from England back in 82. He had my QSL card from then as did I.  We caught up events.

To comment on K1JJ with mental logging. I never forgot my 1st DX QSO with Dudley after all those years.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WX1WX

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 07:23:59 AM »

As a newer ham (despite my Extra Class License) I am beginning with a paper ARRL Log ( I like the look- no accounting for taste) but am just scanning them as a PDF when full. No way to computerize it, I know, but that not a goal…

de WX1WX

73-
de WX1WX
On the Road in the Airstream
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015