The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:22:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hickok Calibration Work  (Read 4495 times)
AB3L
Contributing

« on: March 25, 2014, 06:08:26 PM »

Has anyone used this service for 539C alignment? I have had one here for a while and should get it properly set up. Or...any suggestions as to who might be providing this service?

Thanks,

Bob

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hickok-539A-539B-539C-752A-Tube-Tester-Calibration-Service-/380726582329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a5129c39
N8ETQ

Mort

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 08:43:28 AM »

Hey Bob,

Do you have a reason to think yours is giving
inaccurate readings?  I run hundreds of tubes through
my Hick. 532 and trust it implicitly.  Some tubes do
read slightly higher than the Gm spec. but just < 10%.

I would be more concerned about shipping the
thing. UPS and fedEX WILL destroy it for a nominal
charge than deny your insurance claim.

/Dan
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 10:15:19 AM »

I agree with Dan that unless your 539 has issues you are risking damage with little benefit.  Calibration of the 539 series  is not difficult, search for Daniel Schoo 539 calibration and you will find a very straightforward calibration procedure he put together.  You will need some commonly available (mouser etc.) resistors and a decent DMM to do the calibration.  A 6L6 with a test reading from a known calibrated 539 is needed for perfect accuracy but you can get within a few percent following the general procedure.

If you are worried about absolute calibration accuracy you will need to check it every 6 months and go through the entire procedure every time the rectifier is changed (or degrades significantly) and I doubt if you want to pay the ebay price plus shipping for calibration that often to maintain high spec calibration.

Rodger WQ9E
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:04:05 AM »

If you are worried about absolute calibration accuracy you will need to check it every 6 months and go through the entire procedure every time the rectifier is changed (or degrades significantly) and I doubt if you want to pay the ebay price plus shipping for calibration that often to maintain high spec calibration.

Especially true when you consider that a tube tester guarantees very little. It's great for finding shorts or gassy tubes, and it can get you in the ballpark for emission, but that's no guarantee the tube is good. I had a brand new JAN spec tube used as a replacement in my 75A-4 a few years back that drove me nuts. My B&K 747 showed it to be fine - no shorts, no gas, excellent emission. It just wouldn't work properly in the circuit. After wracking my brain for hours (because I knew it couldn't be any of the new tubes I'd installed), I finally smartened up and started swapping out the tubes I'd replaced. Voila - problem solved.

If you buy a really scruffy tester, it's worthwhile to go through it to replace aged components or have it gone through and calibrated once. After that, just perform the typical maintenance and touch up if you change the rectifier or anything else and call it good 'nuff.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 11:33:28 AM »

As Rodger says do your own calibration, it is relatively easy.  I bet someone with a good working Hickok will measure a 6L6 and mark the value on it and send to you for final calibration.  I have a WE KS 16550 that was calibrated some years back and can send a tube to you for comparison then when you are finished, you can send the tube back.
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 05:18:57 PM »

Thanks all, yes the shipping is an issue. Time also can be an issue.

I'll keep the offer of the calibration tube in mind. I did buy a rehab kit on Ebay a while back and changed out the items included and then got off course after that was done.

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015