The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:08:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tower Thrust Bearing  (Read 2901 times)
ka1bwo

« on: March 18, 2014, 03:47:54 PM »

I'm in the process of installing a used tower. I checked the thrust bearing (Rohn TB-3) it binds as you turn it. I pulled the bearing apart to find that the bearing races are  cupped. This so called bearing was designed for premature failure, hardened steel ball bearings with the races made out of cast aluminum what a joke. Now looking on line this bearing cost $150-$200 to replace they are nuts. Is there a better alternative or has anybody come up with a Home brew bearing design that uses a standard thrust bearing.

Joe   
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 06:19:14 PM »

US Tower has a TB-2US. Not sure what's its made of. HY-Gain use to sell a great thrust bearing which I have on my tower. Bought it roughly 20 plus years ago. Doesn't look like they sell it anymore. If you use a worm-driven rotor, thrust bearings generally aren't required.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 08:36:59 PM »

Bearing supply houses are becoming fewer but they are a great source for a tapered Timken type bearing to fit your needs .....Gud Luk
wb3eii

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 10:21:00 PM »

Most any  big truck shop can supply a used clutch throw-out bearing.
 Typically, the bearing  is changed as a matter of preventive  maintenance  when a clutch is changed.  Usually,It's plenty good for our use.
  It is a thrust  bearing  in the form of a torus, the ones from big  trucks,(Mack, Peterbilt, ect.) will fit over a two inch shaft.
 Some fixture will need to be made to transfer the weight of the mast to the tower.
 As A  welder/fabricator, it is my nature to re-use articles in this manner. 
 If  you are handy with tools, or know  someone  who is, here  is your solution.
 I like cheap, free is better.
 A  plumber's  force-cup(plunger) with the center cut away, then slid over the bearing makes a good rain shield.
73 Ed
ka1bwo

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 06:48:55 PM »

Thanks for all the comments and input
Joe
kb9r

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 07:58:27 PM »

I suppose the antenna sat in one spot and rocked back and forth for a long time.
Anyway, I wonder if you have a friend with a milling machine with turntable & correct size ball end mill?
That may clean up the race.
Joe - KB9R
ka1bwo

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 04:39:52 PM »

Hi Joe,
Yes, my neighbor is a machinist and has a CNC machine in his basement. I will show him
the bearing for his input.
Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015