The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:33:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting Audio Chain  (Read 13740 times)
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« on: January 22, 2014, 04:22:43 PM »

I own a Samson Gtrack. Its a great condenser mic that I originally purchased to record the eerie sound of my mind-numbing theremin music. I use it currently on my Flex and it sounds wonderful. As you know, one can equalize the audio in the Flex via the software and save several profiles for AM/SSB or whatever.

I'd like to use the microphone on my tube gear. The Samson has a flat response from rumble to ultrasonic and needs peaking and roll-off. I don't want/need to spend big bux, just something to get me started. I've seen the W2IHY 8 band unit, but the sucker cannot be rack mounted.

Can you boys and girls recommend something that won't require amputation of one or more limbs to acquire???

Just about made room in my shack for my big rack as I've already run out of space.

Tnx!

FEELEEP

---just edited this. Don't know why/how some of that gibberish got into it.

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
K9DXL

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:01:55 PM »

There's a plethora of audio gear out there, from Behringer and many others, but I'd just like to share my experience with W2IHY.

His customer support is legendary!  A couple of years ago I ordered his 2 band EQ/noise gate to tweak up the audio from my cheap dynamic mic into my SSB rig.  When I placed the order online, Julius was on the phone with me within minutes to confirm my cabling and connector needs.  When the unit arrived a couple of days later, there was USPS return postage inside along with a note asking me to return the unit - the one he sent me had a minor flaw, but he wanted me to get it right away until he could send me a replacement a day or two later.  The flaw:  a tiny mar in the finish on the bottom of the box!  If you look at his reviews on eham, others have noted that he will get on the air with you to help you get the audio quality you're looking for.

If I really wanted to rack mount this box, I would have a machine shop cut a hole in the panel for the unit to poke through, with a little shelf to support the chassis.

Good luck in your quest!

Breathing solder fumes since 1959.  That explains a lot.
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 05:06:59 PM »

hi Phil .... heard you check in to SAMRC swap net last week

there are several single channel microphone processors such as symmetrix,dbx, etc

I use a symmetrix 528e and am well pleased since it combines phantom power, de-ess, compression, eq, limiting and symmetry

I am going to add (2) 31 band eqs for summer and winter modes, audio osc and switcher  and a 16 ch distrib amp to feed audio to the rigs

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 05:32:34 PM »

Many 31 band rack mount EQs available both new and used for $100 or less. Get one with balanced ins/outs for best RF immunity. Some even have continuously variable low and high cut filters. If you get a two-channel version, you set up the eq for two different rigs or one channel for good (high SNR) conditions and one for poor conditions. Check places like B&H, ZZ Sound, Musician's Friend, Amazon and EBay for the best deal.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 06:43:36 PM »

Check places like B&H, ZZ Sound, Musician's Friend, Amazon and EBay for the best deal.

It's amazing what you can find by cruising the music stores and axing what used gear they have sitting in their racks.  Some stores take trades or consignments, so there is sometimes lots of stuff. 

The last thing I found was a nice set of Sony Pro headphones, looked like new, for <1/2 price.   

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 08:03:07 PM »

One really cheap way to go is the Berringer VX2000 ultra voice.
I do not think its made any more, but it was cheap new ($120.00) and should be very cheap used.
Not high end stuff, but it works.

Pawn shops can be fun, I got a symmetrix 20 watt per channel audio amp for $40.00, a Samson 100 watt per channel amp (1 rack unit high) for $60.00, and passed on lots of other interesting stuff.

w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 08:57:31 PM »

I picked up a Behringer VX2000 on ebay a few years ago like new for $50.  Works great.  I use a Marshall MXL-990 mic on a boom, feeding a Mackie 1202VLZ into the VX-2000. 

I put an XLR jack on the back of my Viking II and feed balanced line into a UTC A-10 transformer, into the line level circuit of the Viking.

I just turn the mic gain down on the Viking, but if I want to use the D104, just disconnect the XLR from the VX-2000 and turn up the mic gain on the Viking.  Works great!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 10:04:23 PM »

I've setup a couple audio chains using the VX-2000 and I really do not like the compressor section.

Otherwise it is a neat unit.

I like Behringer stuff and use a DSP 8024 unequalizer.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 10:49:39 PM »

Is that Berhinger's  anti-matter model?

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
n1eu

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 04:53:41 AM »

Another thumbs up for the Behringer VX2000.  I eventually replaced it with a much more costly Aphex 230.  I might be willing to sell the VX2000 - if you're interested drop me a line.

Barry N1EU
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 08:28:05 AM »

Is that Berhinger's  anti-matter model?

No, that's what they should have been called in the first place : )
n1eu

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 09:37:47 AM »

I own a Samson Gtrack. . . I'd like to use the microphone on my tube gear.

I just researched your microphone.  Are you aware that this microphone doesn't even have an analog mic audio output - it's USB only?  You can't hook this mic up directly to any audio gear, it has to be connected to a computer.  It's a great choice for an SDR, connecting via virtual audio cables, but a poor choice to use with analog transmitters/xcvrs.  Or am I missing something?

73, Barry N1EU

p.s. If you MUST use THIS microphone, you could connect it to a pc running a software EQ and then send the audio out via soundcard into an isolation transformer and a resistor network to match levels with your transmitter audio input.  This will work but do you really want a computer in the audio chain feeding your tube transmitter?
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 12:13:05 PM »

There are audio processing programs that mimic the old audio processors used at radio stations with multi band compressors and low pass filters.
With a fast computer, latency should be no problem, since my flex stuff ran real time on a $300.00 computer...

And USB or not, there has to be an analog mic element in there...
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 02:51:44 PM »

OOPS this post went out to left field........Feelip wanted to use mic and audio chain into tube transmitter...sorry' bout that
I would not say my installation is the absolute answer, but I have a $99 Marshall condenser mic connected to an outboard Edirol FA 66 sound card. Connected to my computer via FireWire. This is all of my audio processing!
I have heard other SDR 3000's and the 5000's and no discernible difference in the audio. Even though the newer models do not go to 20khz audio. Cut-off the high end at 6kc and no one will know.

I'm using a FLEX SDR 1000 and the software (V2.3.5). I adjusted the TX EQ settings and set internal levels as recommended by Flex and it is giving me outrageous audio!! Getting right to 98% neg peaks and 120% pos peaks using the REA (QIX) station monitor for modulation set-up. Linear amp is the AL 1500 running 400W carrier..no grid current in AM mode and I see that munkey schwangin to 1500W PEP easily!!!

I sold all of the mic processing stuff and balanced audio outboard EQ and limiters, etc. etc. The magic happens in the software and possibly my FA 66 sound card. It accepts good high end mics and provides phantom power for the condenser mic.
A nice smooth response with out excessive bass and a slight rise in the mid-highs. Many nice audio reports. No muddy bass or FM-like high frequencies. 70-80 hz low end and cut-off at 6.5K on the high end.
I would be glad to set up a sched on 160 or 75 and you can hear what's going on in MOP land.
I monitored into a dummy load on my R390A set in widest BW and high quality headphones on the phones jack. Headphone amp in 390A modified for better audio response and a little more audio juice. Not the military freq response. All accepted mods done for better audio in the 390A. Chuck Ripple approved.

It's up to you how complicated you want to make this.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
n1eu

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 04:24:55 PM »

I'd like to use the microphone on my tube gear.

Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "tube gear"?  What kind of transmitter is the final destination of your mic audio?  Is it your Valiant 1?

(microphone has a solidstate preamp/mixer/digitalsoundcard built into its shell, which we connect to a computer that runs digital audio EQ software that sends the digital audio out another soundcard and we somehow match that level to the mic input on a Valiant I - okay, I got it - sounds like a plan)
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 04:32:47 PM »

Behringer VX2000

Just a note to all you Behringer users. The power transformers one day just drop dead. This is caused by the windings being wound too tight. It will be the primary that is being used at the time. The transformers are wound for 120/240 volt operation. If it happens to you, just use the other 120 volt winding. WA1SSJ & I had  the problem. I replaced the transformer and Wayne uses an outboard transformer. If this helps just one person, I can  croak and rest in peace.  

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 10:49:33 PM »

Behringer VX2000

Just a note to all you Behringer users. The power transformers one day just drop dead. This is caused by the windings being wound too tight. It will be the primary that is being used at the time. The transformers are wound for 120/240 volt operation. If it happens to you, just use the other 120 volt winding. WA1SSJ & I had  the problem. I replaced the transformer and Wayne uses an outboard transformer. If this helps just one person, I can  croak and rest in peace.  

Could be the filter capacitors are pulling extra current because they are end of life.

The DSP-8024 and DSP-9024s drop dead from 3 filter caps being leaky. Symptom is they won't reboot. Actually looks like they have a microprocessor fault.

Cheap parts.

Gives the hobbyist something to fix.
KL7OF

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 08:35:17 AM »

I have a VX 2000 that has a problem with RF getting into it...It used to work OK fine...for several years...I havent looked at it internally as I have another that is working...Any ideas??
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 07:52:41 AM »

Behringer VX2000

Could be the filter capacitors are pulling extra current because they are end of life.

The DSP-8024 and DSP-9024s drop dead from 3 filter caps being leaky. Symptom is they won't reboot. Actually looks like they have a microprocessor fault.

Cheap parts.

THANK YOU Dave,
I have the DSP9024 and use it in my audio chain for the Flintstone show and I absolutely love it. I forget the name of the pre-set I'm using, and I know that engineering of WBCQ has recently been blessed by a visit from Timmy. The TX audio of the station is awesome!!
Thanks for the tip on the caps....my stuff is on in the Flintstone studio 24/7......and I'll start planning on some replacement caps....I got it used from eBay...NICE unit!
I get a lot of response from listeners hooking their radios to outboard amps and speakers to listen to the nice big sound.
Timmy does a lot of magic with the Harris. It is not an easy box to manage with some of the quirks that are built-into the design.
Sorry Feelip to be blogging on your thread.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 08:13:28 AM »

There are audio processing programs that mimic the old audio processors used at radio stations with multi band compressors and low pass filters.
With a fast computer, latency should be no problem, since my flex stuff ran real time on a $300.00 computer...

And USB or not, there has to be an analog mic element in there...

I've heard good things about this one: http://www.stereotool.com/

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 09:48:57 AM »

Behringer VX2000

Cheap parts.

THANK YOU Dave,
I have the DSP9024 and use it in my audio chain for the Flintstone show and I absolutely love it. I forget the name of the pre-set I'm using, and I know that engineering of WBCQ has recently been blessed by a visit from Timmy. The TX audio of the station is awesome!!
Thanks for the tip on the caps....my stuff is on in the Flintstone studio 24/7......and I'll start planning on some replacement caps....I got it used from eBay...NICE unit!
I get a lot of response from listeners hooking their radios to outboard amps and speakers to listen to the nice big sound.
Timmy does a lot of magic with the Harris. It is not an easy box to manage with some of the quirks that are built-into the design.
Sorry Feelip to be blogging on your thread.
Fred

Happy to help. If you want to pay me back please play a long continuous loop of Gypsy Queen by Santana. That would make up for all the FM stations cutting it off after Black Magic Woman.

If aliens are listening they will figure us tasteless and gutless for truncating such tunes.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 10:02:11 AM »

Santana is an alien.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 11:59:57 AM »

GYPSY Queen no problem nice ending....it's only 5:19 long.........
Airing 1-31-14

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 02:37:51 PM »

A shorty.  In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed off the Live at Fillmore East album is about 13 minutes. Better guitar too.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2014, 02:46:46 PM »

GYPSY Queen no problem nice ending....it's only 5:19 long.........
Airing 1-31-14

Thanks Fred. I will be listening.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015