The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:33:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160M A Few Days Ago  (Read 1506 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: January 21, 2014, 11:47:27 AM »

I was part of a nice roundtable on 1885, Tom N8CT, and Jeff K8PEX, and Rupp W8GPA. And they were reminiscing about Ashtabula Bill. Some of the guys in the roundtable had picked up some of Bill's goodies. He had a helluva tower there at his QTH... Maybe I got confused where this commercial 120 foot tower is located. One of the guys always did the climbing. And Timtron helped to replace the guy wires with something more substantial.
The video that was on YouTube was pretty nice to see the shack of Bill and how radio was deep in his heart. Was there some fore-knowledge of some medical event in Bill's life that this video was made?
One in the roundtable mentioned he would hear Bill on the air when he was 9 yrs old and, when he was licensed in 1987, visited Bill to tell him that he heard him many times, when he was just a young JN.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 12:20:59 PM »

He always had a good signal into South Jersey, and was likely one of the first people I heard and worked when I got my ticket in the late 70's.

I think he got hit with a tornado that took out his wind generator and moved a bc610 into a creek someplace.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015