The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:48:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 15 Meters continues to be entertaining  (Read 8150 times)
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« on: January 14, 2014, 04:01:55 PM »

Yesterday (Monday - January 13), the band was somewhat unsteady with propagation shifting every couple of minutes. I had some very nice but short conversations as the band was shifting quickly. The stations worked included:

K7DTU Fred
K2NED Ed
WA4GZK Bill
KB0PE Dave
W0VMC Robert
G8NOF Glenn
W0LS Harry
W5WVI Jon
AB5DK Tom
NU1O Chris
K0EOO Dennis

Today (Tuesday - January 14) the band was far more stable and provided some much steadier propagation. The list is a bit shorter than yesterday but the conversations were longer:

G8NOF Glenn
VE6CQ Rick
W0VMC Robert
KL7OF Steve
WB1EAD Dave (heard in Connecticut very lightly on backscatter)
VE2XK Michel (also heard in Connecticut very lightly on backscatter)

The recordings below are pretty good examples of how signals were heard here today. It was a pleasant time today on 15 meters.

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
ve6cq

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 12:00:33 AM »

And, to follow up - here is how the festivities sounded from the Canadian Rocky Mountain West. Mp3 audio attached.

* wb1ead_ve2xk_wa0vmc_w1aex_AM_21mhz_011414_s_by ve6cq.mp3 (1627.35 KB - downloaded 522 times.)
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 11:24:05 AM »

Thanks for the recording Rob....I was using the 32V2 75A4 with a TH7 @60 ft at W1LYD's station in Lake Havasu ,AZ...
   I heard YOU, W0VMC, (loud),and VE2XK..was unable to hear G8NOF, and VE6CQ.  Fun on 15 metros..working good again this morning...I'm hearing you well as I post this....
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 06:43:12 PM »

Jeez Rob..Rick sent the MP3 file via e-mail..I finally get to hear ur station without all the hiss/pop and asst other crap..not that I'm against backscatter..you DO sound very gud in the clear!..Michele is not too shabby either!..of course Robert and I have qso'd b/4..he always sounds gud as does Rick..my thinking is to finally break down and grab a QRO machine like an SB200 to properly launch out my PW signal..
            By the way Rob just what was Harry W0LS using today?..whatever it was sounded VERY FB!..heard W1LYD in AZ today..he mighta been talking to you Rob..mentioned Steve was out back??    73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 07:53:13 PM »

Thanks for that recording Rick. Based upon what I heard in the mp3 I think you were in the best spot for hearing everyone who stopped by the frequency.

Steve, it was great to finally run into you on the air. Brian's 32V2 was doing a great job up here in the northeast. It sounds like you guys have a big-time project going on there with the broadcast transmitter. Don't fall off that ladder working on the high shelves of that massive mountain of iron!

Dave, I think Rick's mp3 is the first time I've heard your station. I always hear the other guy going back and forth with you but other than some faint backscatter effects I never hear the big WB1EAD installation. Sounds great! Harry - W0LS was working on setting his Flex 5000 up for remote operation. This morning he was operating across his LAN but eventually he will have the option to connect from the WAN side whenever he is traveling. I agree with you about the quality, it was clean and clear. He's using a Logitech H800 wireless headset to connect to the computer in his shed, which is then connected through his LAN to the computer that runs his Flex. Pretty amazing stuff. I did manage to capture his signal in a video which I added to my collection up on YouTube. He was really silencing the frequency in spite of traffic close by above and below us.     

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O24wMomg4dc

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:38:55 PM »

Wow! That's about as close to "full quieting" as you will get on HF. Good conditions indeed!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015