The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:58:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Viking 1 $100 Nice or Think Twice?  (Read 12070 times)
K1NSS
Contributing

OM Cartoonist

« on: January 13, 2014, 01:12:43 PM »

Not familiar with current market, saw a Viking 1 with some crystals and without case and missing one 807 modulator at a local surplus store for $100.  Didn't seem like a steal, but then got to thinking about the parts, the rotary inductor, the Johnson variable caps, the power and modulation transformer, etc and set to wondering if parted out, would be worth the bother, never mind the price. Anyone any thoughts? 

We have met the enemy and he is THEM.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 01:30:20 PM »

J,
If ya got one,
buy it.
The X  tals are worth a few buckaroos.
Get it fer a lower price; and part it out. (I hate to say that; like the good Kirk/bad Kirk combo
_ 'it wants to live!')

klc

What? Me worry?
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 02:18:16 PM »

If all that is missing is the case and one 807 call it a good rack mount transmitter for $100.  The Viking 1 and 2 are the most reliable transmitters that came out of Waseca and are much more robust than the later designs.  Check the 5R4 sockets and tube bases for carbon tracks and clean any dust from these surfaces to prevent them from occurring.  The 4D32 final is a great tube and very reasonably priced.

Rodger WQ9E
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 02:28:58 PM »

You've been itching to get on AM. I chatted with W1VTP a couple of nights ago for the first time on 80m.

Pull the trigger but be aware this will NOT be plug n play.

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 04:29:04 PM »

The Viking One is a great transmitter and offers all kinds of adventure if you are interested in experimenting with AM. If that unit does not come with the Model 122 VFO you will find that people who sell that VFO at hamfests are asking anywhere from 60 to +100 dollars for them. As Rodger mentioned, the lack of a case is not an issue as it will slide into a rack very nicely. Just keep in mind that the front panel will not support the weight of the transmitter so don't try "hanging" it in a rack! Without a cabinet, no VFO, missing at least one tube, and with no assurance that the 4D32 has any emission left or that the rig actually will fire up and produce RF it would seem that it's an excellent candidate for some negotiating about the price.

I've owned my Viking One for over 30 years and would never consider parting with it!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
w1vtp

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 05:33:15 PM »

That Viking wants to LIVE.  I think about $150 and up is the price at the flees.  eBay 'nother story.  I had always wanted to have one as a kid and finally landed one a few years ago.  It's my next project if I can ever get off my butt.  It puts out RF.  Hopefully the modulator works too.

I wouldn't let no VFO stop me.  Xtals work just fine - '75, 80 'n 85 is all you need

Al

PS: good working you the other day, Phil
K1NSS
Contributing

OM Cartoonist

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 06:06:11 PM »

Interesting, interesting, thanks all for informative and encouraging responses!

Of course, I wouldn't be posting this if I didn't want to buy it immediately, but I need to watch my impulses nowaways and be sure the price wasn't silly. I do want to get on AM and now have more reason to sell my Mighty Knighty T-50 as my Icom 817 does my kind of CW just fine, even without the CW filter.  Will go down tomorrow and see if I can get it for a little less, but the suprlus guy is ham savvy and knows I like it, though I did point out one of the missing modulator 807s.  Final seemed a little cloudy, hard to tell what's up with tht.  Didn't tip it over to see the guts, but didn't see any large scorch marks on top either.  Guess all the electrolytics need replacement with that brand you used, eh Philip?  This and a Halli Civil Patrol VHF rcvr all what remained of a big estate radio collection he liquidated in the past month or so, that my brother altered me to when it when up for sale and I said Dirty Old Radio Satan get thee behind me, but alas, OM Scratch may well draw me down to E.F. Johnson Perdition.

Grin 

K1NSS
Contributing

OM Cartoonist

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 06:21:35 PM »

I did a Dash! strip about this place some time ago.  Real DIY heaven, all sorts of flotsam jetsam pro and am electronics optics, metals, plus stuff like Delrin scrap, industrial hardware, casters, home of everything you want but don't need except what you can't live without. Appropriately Gyro Gearloose clientele, artists, hams, and the usual gang of lunatics.

* hellmer-775.jpg (706 KB, 775x1003 - viewed 374 times.)

WQ9E

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 06:24:27 PM »

The HV filter in the Viking 1 and 2 is an oil type so it should be fine but replace the B+ and bias caps along with the cathode bypass on the first audio stage.  The 160 in/out switch has a habit of getting stiff so put a couple of drops of synthetic oil where the shaft goes through the switch bushing.  When adjusting the tap on R13 (sets modulator bias) make sure to fully loosen the tap and move it gently because it is easy to damage the R13 resistance wire.

Once you get it into good shape it will serve you well for AM and CW.  A new 4D32 final should run you under $20, even if the current one is good pick up a spare for the future while they are still cheap.  The 4D32 is roughly equivalent to two 807s in one envelope and was horribly expensive in the early 90s (probably because it is also used in the Collins 32V series thus the "Collins Tax") but a bunch of them were dumped into surplus and the price dropped dramatically.  

Rodger WQ9E
K1NSS
Contributing

OM Cartoonist

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 06:31:25 PM »

Thanks Rodger, I'm OM enough that I should know, but I was stymied by that "160" in/out control.  Refer to the band or something else? Oh boy, don't have the rig yet and I'm already on the slippery slope and accelerating 32 ft/sec/sec.  If anybody would damage the resistance wire on the bias tap, it would be me.  Its cool to be surrounded by guardian AM Angels.

WQ9E

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 06:55:18 PM »

The 160 in/out adds some additional inductance for 160 set to the in position, otherwise the roller inductor doesn't have quite enough inductance to cover 160.

I think you will be very happy with the Viking 1.

Rodger WQ9E
K1NSS
Contributing

OM Cartoonist

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 06:57:48 PM »

Rob, you nicely summed up my negotiating points. Don't hold out a lot of hope because I was bit too enthusiastic and while not a regular, the proprietor knows me too well.  No, no VFO, wonder if that was sold a la carte. The final tube sounds interesting, not familiar with it. On a quick look up, I saw some comments that the Viking I was very TVI prone, which was mitigated in the II iteration. Hmm.  Sold my D104 last summer.  So, eventually a VFO, a mike, a suitable rack, some shielding, new/spare final, spare 807s, plus the one I already have, who knows others.  Caps.  Ah me.  Once I get the Stone, it's only a matter of time and money before it's Soup. That's what I'll call it.  Viking Rune Stone Soup. Praise Loki and pass the Mead.

WQ9E

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 07:07:36 PM »

With cable/satellite/digital TVI just isn't much of an issue anymore.  In a few more years even most hams will probably assume TVI is just another government intelligence gathering agency.

My Johnson 6N2 came with instructions for the TVI "kit" for a Viking 1 and it isn't something I would ever want to install given the complexity of the instructions.

Rodger WQ9E
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 07:17:54 PM »

" I said Dirty Old Radio Satan get thee behind me. "

Put your haaandds on the Radio and feeel Edgar Fs' Power ! ! !

klc

Its the right thing to do.

What? Me worry?
K1NSS
Contributing

OM Cartoonist

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 07:40:35 PM »

Ha klc! Reminds me of the frequent Looney Toons moment when Porky or Daffy or whoever is on the brink of a bad(but good for cartoons' sake) choice and the little angel and demon fight out from his opposite shoulders.  Perhaps I spoke too soon about being surrounded by guardian spirits. Suddenly gettingl the impression that there's a supportive mob on one shoulder and they're all carrying half-wave pitchforks.

K1NSS
Contributing

OM Cartoonist

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 07:47:06 PM »

Rodger, yeah TVI less of an issue nowadays anyway, plus I live in the sticks and while my apartment adjoins my landlords' place, they don't watch a lot of TV and  best of all, they indulge my 160 meter inverted V AND 40 foot vertical,  so all's cool on that front.

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 08:37:19 PM »

Decisions.

* decisions.jpg (48.92 KB, 635x289 - viewed 314 times.)
K1NSS
Contributing

OM Cartoonist

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 09:07:15 PM »

Decisions.

The Red Team says JUMP!

And given the E.F. Johnson logo, that figures.  Or does it? By Loki, that's strange…I thought the Viking's helmet had horns, not wings.

* diablo2.png (288.59 KB, 1005x1242 - viewed 325 times.)

* e_f_johnson_viking_1_transmitter.pdf_1.png (197.72 KB, 748x992 - viewed 351 times.)

WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 09:17:58 PM »

I had always wanted to have one as a kid and finally landed one a few years ago.  It's my next project if I can ever get off my butt. 

Al

PS: good working you the other day, Phil

Al, now that you are retired, it is time to start that next project. I am neck deep in new projects over here.

These are the good old days of AM
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 11:45:51 AM »

Decisions.

Question is, on which shoulder does the decision to buy it fall, Lawrence?

$100 today doesn't sound like a bad price overall if the rest is in good shape. 807s are cheap & easy. Cabinets even show up from time to time. And the Vikings are right there with the Dixie 100 for a solid(!), decent working 100w rig once they're sorted. It's definitely one of the cornerstone rigs of AM.

Rob's right. Offer $70.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 01:30:26 PM »

Heck, you doing them a favor; offer them $50; they probably will counter with $75 or $80; and you can dance from there.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1NSS
Contributing

OM Cartoonist

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 02:44:18 PM »

Viking has landed.

$75, including  five 80/40 CW freq xtals. No steal, but ok deal I think. Oops. Cracked meter glass in addition to previously mentioned flaws, and quick gut check showed couple of hanging electrolytic cans, but no scorch, oil leaks, black mold or brown recluse spiders,yet.

Film at 11.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 02:59:51 PM »

Dangling electrolytics are par for the course in rigs of that era. Many folks chose the quick fix rather than replacing (or trying to find) a Twist-Lok type can or odd sized oil cap that was leaking. Meter glass is easily replace from a donor meter of similar manufacture.

Sounds like a good deal just in parts alone. If you start including your time, it's another matter. But that's true of any of this old stuff.

Congrats.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K1NSS
Contributing

OM Cartoonist

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 07:33:37 PM »

Oops agn.  Look like missing tubes in PS, 5Z4 & 6AL5, no other visibile negatives to my limited POV.

Suppose the next step is de-dust and clean the chassis, which I understand is alumnium and can be spiffed up not too much trouble.

Too bad I sold my cherry nice wood case Precision tester for song last spring.  Mustn't grasp or grumble, Grasshopper.

Very sad to see the Sprague "Made In USA" cap.  I multi-blade diamond rotary saw-diced Sprague caps (actually I think C & R printed ceramic chips) in Nashua NH for a college summer job 2nd shift in 1969.  Walked back to my rooming house to watch the first moonwalk with another roomer, a Sanders Associates engineer from Texas up for a long project, not a ham, but a knower of hams and we swapped some good stories while soaking up beer and history.  Last year visited old Sprague North Adams MA plant, now an enormous museum full of much dopey and some stunning modern art, a fantastic dragon the size of an Airbus fashioned NICELY, not the usual art school hodgepodge, from industrial scrap and steel, gorgeously welded and wired with subtle lighting.  The stunner, don't you know, by a Chinese artist.

* Viking front.jpg (2173.47 KB, 2177x1360 - viewed 402 times.)

* Viking Under.jpg (249.24 KB, 1000x747 - viewed 367 times.)

* Viking Over.jpg (238.93 KB, 1000x747 - viewed 364 times.)

W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 11:26:53 PM »

That looks like a fine little Viker. It appears that you have one that had the TVI shielding installed somewhere along the way. If the top is missing you could just grab some hardware cloth from your local True Value and make one. The front panel looks pretty good compared to many I have seen. Looks like a good catch!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015