The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 01:09:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mystery Signal  (Read 2594 times)
ashart
« on: January 09, 2014, 11:01:25 AM »

A while ago, my HRO Sixty was on the bench being restored.  Shortly after getting it up and running, I discovered a signal that was “all over the band” with seemingly unmodulated S9 carriers every 30.5 KHz. as indicated by my HP counter.  It was on other bands too.  I shorted the antenna terminals.  The signal went away, not coming from inside the receiver.  I looked all over my lab for some possible source that was inadvertently turned on, but found nothing.  Nothing.  I began to wonder where else in the house there could a source of such a signal, and could think of nothing.  Nothing.  To be sure, I turned everything in the shack off.  Nothing.

To track it down, I one-by-one turned off every circuit breaker except the lab’s.  Nothing.  It wasn’t in the house.  Concluding it was coming from the neighbor’s house - he’s a ham and who knows what he was playing with?  With portable receiver, I went there.  Nothing.  But, the signal had become weaker so I went home, vigorously exercising my vocabulary of harsh words.   A few days went by with the mysterious signal as strong as ever and my irritation increasing with the square of time.  One day a prominent local radio amateur stopped in to ragchew.  I was griping to him, and we once again went hunting with a portable receiver.  WOOT!  We found it!

The culprit was a microprocessor in my outside-the-house AC generator that was keeping its regulatory eye on my incoming AC.  No amount of turning things on and off inside the house had stopped that processor from happily pumping its hostile little square waves and zillions of demonic little S9 harmonics into the air, with not the slightest interest in my poor HRO project. It didn’t help that the darn generator was only about four feet away from the workbench, separated just by an outside wall, though which I couldn't see.  I think I’ll just give up ham radio and run away and join the circus!

al hart
w8vr
www.w8vr.org
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 11:57:15 AM »

Al

An interesting mystery story. Thanks for sharing!

Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 12:44:52 PM »

"They're all out to get us!"  (nervously looking aside)

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
ashart
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 12:47:21 PM »

Even a paranoid has enemies!

w8vr
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 08:28:56 AM »

A growing number of low voltage walwart type power supplies/chargers have been moving to micro size switchers. I had set up this Happauge PVR unit to capture HDMI digital signals and record to my laptop via the USB port.  Anyway, the deal was that after setting it up, I discovered a similar "mystery" signal popping up across the HF spectrum like pigeons on a power line, every so many KC. Turned out to be the walwart which could only be turned off by unplugging the D++M thing. The simple, yet effective solution in this case was to place one of those "Hamfest special", snap on ferrite doughnuts with perhaps six turns of the output power lead right were it exits the walwart.

These new, transformerless units are easily identified by their slim bodies. They are often configured so that you can put as many side by side as you have outlets on a power strip. No doubt they filtered the AC side but not the output side.

Another, obvious solution is to flip the switch on the power switch and only turn on the equipment when you need it. Arrggh, what a pain in the you know where. And it seeks that the noisey ones are used with equipment that requires a wake up sequence, so flipping onthe power doesn't always work out too well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015