The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:59:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Check your new clip leads  (Read 4419 times)
WQ9E

« on: January 04, 2014, 06:34:35 PM »

In the final stages of repairing my Northern Radio NC-183D variant the sensitivity suddenly dropped but fortunately the problem was just the clip lead I was using to patch the coax to the receiver.  I picked up a bag of clip leads from MPJA a couple of months ago and found they are all made (in China I suspect) by stripping about a quarter inch of wire and then folding it back under the still insulated part and lightly crimping the folded section in place.  The crimp fingers were not even noticeably bent so it wasn't much of a physical or electrical connection.  I checked and both ends were the same and checking the other leads I found they are all the same.  The least bit of pressure would pop them loose and even in place the connection would be dubious.

I spent a few minutes and soldered the wires to the clips and now they are all fine.  The clip jaws are much better than those on some I picked up at a hamfest a couple of years ago.  These provide good clamping pressure and don't seem to bend easily.  This is not a slam against Marlin P. Jones as I have purchased a lot of stuff from them and I have been happy with it.  Unfortunately these leads are typical of much of what pours out of the far east these days.   I kind of miss the old good/better/best that Sears, Radio Shack, and others used to use for pricing stereos, appliances, and other product.  I would happily pay more to move from the "good" to something that is actually decent quality.

Rodger WQ9E
K9PNP

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 07:21:01 PM »

I know what you mean.  Picked up a package of clip leads for cheap at a flea market a few years ago.  Was working on a signal generator that supposedly didn't have any output.  After I finally checked the clip lead I was using, found that it had no continuity.  Checked the ends and found that, unlike yours, mine was crimped too tightly.  Smashed is probably the word for it.  Had cut the wires when it was crimped.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 07:42:07 PM »

Mitch,

It sounds like mine were made after the factory supervisor yelled at the worker for using too much force when he made yours.  Maybe whoever buys a set next year will get a good set right out of the bag once the worker calibrates the precision chop sticks he is using for a crimping tool Smiley

Rodger WQ9E
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 12:35:47 AM »

I make my own.
I have a roll of multi-colored flat cable. Cut a length off; separate the various colored wires; attached the clips with or without boots

Made in the U.S.A.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1TAV
Contributing

The Glow of Wood and Radios

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 08:45:09 AM »

My OM (the original W1TAV) used to beat into my head "test your test equipment".  Fast forward to the 1980's I was attending the Bell System Technical Institute and the instructors used to deliberately provide you with jumpers  crimped on the insulation. Rarely was I ever caught by this trick...   

Sad as it is, these Chi-Com products are here and the OM's words ring even truer today!

Steve - W1TAV
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 09:05:17 AM »

Oh yes!  Been fooled by the open clip lead syndrome more often than I'd like to mention.  If I find one, it goes straight into the round file.  I have been known to make my own, too. 

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 09:13:02 AM »

This is not unusual.

EVERY clip lead I buy (and I literally have hundreds of them), I clip the clips to a piece of #10 wire and pull back the boot.  If it's not soldered, I solder it.

The older Radio Shack clip leads weren't soldered, so I would have to solder them all.  The more recent Radio Shack clip leads I've got are soldered, but check them anyway - you never know.

Sometimes I make clip leads, but only if I need a real heavy wire (I've got some around here made with #10 stranded).  Even with soldering them, it's less time than making leads from scratch - at least when you use as many as I do  Grin

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 11:17:35 AM »

I make my own.

Ditto.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
wd8das

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 10:07:50 PM »

I once heard of a guy who when he was finished working on a prototype, or completed a repair, would cut the alligator clips off the clipleads and solder the wires into the circuits.  Someone suggested he should buy some hookup wire and stop destroying all the clipleads, but he claimed that he knew those particular pieces of wire in the clipleads worked so he would keep using them.

sigh...

Steve WD8DAS

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015