The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:50:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP AM transmitter on 3686 today on the hour.  (Read 8098 times)
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« on: January 01, 2014, 08:27:07 AM »

Today I will be testing my QRP Am transmitter on 3686 and down Aiming at least for 3685.5kcs
The transmitter is an old three transistor design from the 80s and was intended for CW use however due to my recent experiments with absorbtion loop modulation I took a couple of days and devoted them to applying what I had learned to this little transmitter I built some 30 years ago. I have boosted the output some with a NTE128 transistor in the final, I added VXO to the circuit an now I have good AM coming from it. It is crystal controlled and VXO equipped. The mic is a simple Bell telephone carbon mic controlling the absorbtion loop which is downstream from the osc in the buffer circuit. It is feeding an inverted L tuned for 80M. This antenna has worked North Carolina on low power CW so it should do the job. I am located in Prince Edward COUNTY (Not Prince Edward Island) Ontario which is directly North Of Rochestor New York across Lake Ontario. I am about 20 miles inland from the lake. I don't expect any Dx but if anyone would be interested in trying an AM contact on the freq I will call (providing it is open on the hour as time permits. If you have never heard absorbtion loop modulation it sounds different. It has a poke through quality. Signal is narrow comparatively speaking so you will have to be right on top to hear me. So don't be afraid to hunt for me. I will QSL all contacts by Email with a printable card.
Don VE3LYX

* PICT0035.JPG (269.89 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 868 times.)

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
ve6pg

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 06:17:49 PM »

..i wonder when the best time to listen would be don...
..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
VE3LYX

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 08:15:23 PM »

I am thinking about the time you signed off with Don last night. I think it was about 20 to 7PM. That was the strongest signals all day. I talked to him after till about 7.15 PM but it was going down hill fast. That has already passed tonight although I still give it a shot at the top of each hour if I am here and awake so if you want to you could listen for it.  We could try that tomorrow night except I am not sure if David is coming up with you for the weekend. If that is so we will leave it for some other time.  
I have 36 volts on it at the moment but the final transistor can handle 150 volts (NTE128) I may pick up some more dollar store power (9 volts) and give it a boost. perhaps 90 volts. I am sure I put a zener in for the osc buffer but I had better make sure before I see smoke! I built it 30 years ago so I will have to check as I don't remember. I had it as high as 52 with no trouble. Am working on a matching regen to pop in the same box. Talk to you in the morning if all goes well. (if not before)
Don

* qrplp.jpg (54.46 KB, 448x336 - viewed 879 times.)

VE3LYX

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 09:33:08 PM »

I boosted the voltage on the final and switched the osc buffer and mod to 9 volts. The zener diode shorted . I found it after a bit and removed it a it was 36 volts and I was feeding the final 81 volts. Since the osc and buffer are now on 9 volts independent it is no longer needed. I had to switch out a electrolytic too as it was a 35 volt job. From our old Tv I found a 10uf 250 and it is there now. The thing has some stomp now although would still be under 5W as that is max value for this transistor and I am not at max voltage (yet) Anyway I was able to repair while I was talking with you and Mike , Tim. After signing with Michel I tried it. Wow! I just gave it a go at 9ish but there are some CBers sorry SSBers real close.
I will give it a go at 10Pm if anyone is around and the SSB guys have left 3686 or the area.
Don
(also got a good portion of the receiver that fits inside this case done and mounted. )

VE3LYX

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 05:57:21 AM »

Will be calling CQ AM Phone this morning Jan 5 2014
6 am, 7 am, 8am ,9am EST on 3686 as long as I can access that freq. This rig will sound like controlled carrier rigs and will pop thru when I speak but resting carrier (which is max absorbtion with the loop modulator) will be lighter.. Probably best received with AVC or AGC off.
Don
VE3LYX

VE3LYX

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 05:22:03 PM »

I tried so much my final batteries are kaput. It was fun with 81 volts on the transistor. However no joy and I am out of batteries so Ill give it a rest for a few days while I finish the receiver portion.
Don

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015