The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:36:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi all, I am very happy to be part of this forum.  (Read 7608 times)
Dan Yoder SWL
« on: December 31, 2013, 06:25:24 PM »

Just got voted in and am excited to be part of a group of, I am assuming boat anchor AM guys.
I find that this group in the ham arena has most of the radio tech knowledge. I just got into this interesting hobby 14 months ago and am building up a very expensive junk box and a lot of old tube stuff. I like old Heatkit audio tuners and preamps, Hammurlund receivers and Johnson transmitters. I like anything Heathkit up to about the HW or SB era. Don't care for the PCB's. I'm not trying to start any what about this or that wars just letting you know where I have settled in. I really like regens I have a MW homebrew and want to build a Twinplex. Well that is about it.

Tubes, motorcycles and Motown
Dan Yoder Mechanical Designer
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 11:44:54 PM »

Hi Dan, I have never taken the position to welcome anyone on here since I'M just a small fish in a big pond, but since everyone must be busy with New Years celebrations and such, WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Tell us where your from etc? Nice to have another Yoder on here!

Terry Yoder
W2PFY

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 12:16:06 AM »

Welcome to the forum, Dan.  There is an Andrew Yoder of some renown ["The Complete Shortwave Listener's Handbook" [click] et. al.] so you're definitely in good company.  There is a lot to be learned here on AMFone.  Enjoy! Smiley

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 01:35:33 AM »

Welcome aboard.  Might just as we'll go all the way and get your ham ticket or license.
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 02:30:09 AM »

Welcome...Happy new year!

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
Dan Yoder SWL
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 06:39:18 AM »

Hi All,
 Well Terry you gave me my first really good laugh of the New Year, I even wrote it down. I will be using that at one of my meetings at work this year, when it fits the conversation. So we have have three Yoder's on the forum now that will make me feel right at home. Yea I heard of that book I never associated Yoder's and pirates before he should be a very intersting guy, must have been shunned or something, " just funnin"

About my ticket, I have passed the technician's test on line and now I am studying for my General. I really am having so much fun listening and learning that I don't really have time to talk. I am really interested in starting out with code like I should have in the sixties. I have a DX-40 and an Adventuerer not sure if they even work. I find that I have so much to learn about receiving and grounding that transmitting can wait.

Hey Mike I have a friend at work that is a Designer as well that looks so much like you. I will show your picture to him on Thursday.
  Well my Yoder clan all came from Springs PA close to Berlin. I was born in Pinto MD an all Yoder camp on the river close to Cumberland MD. I'm glad I did'nt upset anyone with my equip list, but we all have a certian line of design we favor. I think what I like about Hammarlund and Johnson is they are two companies that majored in one product line you know one made receivers only and one transmitters
Thanks for all the replies and Happy New Year

* HQ no trans.JPG (326.86 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 425 times.)

* HQ-140 with diodes.JPG (320.06 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 446 times.)

* mystery cap HQ.JPG (324.46 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 453 times.)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 08:54:03 AM »

Hi ya Dan and welcome.  Mystery cap says 80 microfarads at 450 Vdc.  I think.
It's A good candidate for modern replacement.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KL7OF

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 09:20:20 AM »

Dan......Welcome..Steve KL7OF
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 10:12:02 AM »

Dan - welcome and we have receiver and REGEN nutcakes galore here... 

These are the good old days of AM
Dan Yoder SWL
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 02:09:54 PM »

This is a friendly group of electron boilers and emmiters. I guess I should have explained what I meant about the mystery cap. It was not its capacity or voltage but its purpose in the circuit. I bought the HQ for 55.00 at a hamfest last summer and the guy told me that it had been modified. Well it had the wrong transformer in it and no 5u4g tube. Someone put two of those gray single band resistors in it. Must be a tree hugger or something. The mystery cap went from the fused hot main to the tie point on the empty tube socket. I guess it was added filtering for the mods. I will attach a pdf of the way it was. I am in the process of building an external supply for it. Here is some info on the project.

Thanks all

* HQ-140 X Power supply.pdf (17.18 KB - downloaded 193 times.)
* HQ_140X_SCHEMATIC.pdf (182.9 KB - downloaded 168 times.)
* Power Supply Pro E.pdf (678.79 KB - downloaded 179 times.)
KA2DZT

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 05:00:00 AM »

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the Forum.  Now that you are part of the group, you will be sent our standard 200 question (non-multiple choice) test.  To be able to remain part of the group you must answer all the questions, even the ones that you know nothing about.  Failure to be able to obtain a passing grade (currently 87%) may restrict your posting times to 2 hrs on alternate Thursdays of the in-between weeks.

The test is nothing to worry about as there have been a few newcomers that did pass, although we thought that some cheating did occur.

Good luck on the test.

Fred
K4RT
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 07:13:22 AM »

Dan,

Welcome. There's a great deal of knowledge offered by amfone members. Don't overlook the search feature.

Good luck with your projects!

Brad
Dan Yoder SWL
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 08:58:32 AM »

Hey Fred,

It is Thur and you won't be able to post again for two weeks, we will miss you.

Dan
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 11:53:34 AM »

Hi Dan.

Welcome.

Next step:  Just make one "short" 45 minute old buzzard transmission to some poor bastard and have him send in a letter to the ARRL. You will receive a certified AM card with all the privileges herein.   (It's like the Rag Chewers Club on steroids)

T

* CERTIFIED-AM.png (81.98 KB, 400x300 - viewed 370 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Dan Yoder SWL
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 01:24:54 PM »

You guys are very friendly and a very happy bunch. I am looking forward to meeting all of you. By the time I jump through all the hoops to join most members will be SK's.
Dan
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 02:29:01 PM »

The below only works if you run 25 watts or less on 80 meters at night.
It also helps to run 50% modulation and be 2Kc off frequency.

Hi Dan.

Welcome.

Next step:  Just make one "short" 45 minute old buzzard transmission to some poor bastard and have him send in a letter to the ARRL. You will receive a certified AM card with all the privileges herein.   (It's like the Rag Chewers Club on steroids)

T
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 10:07:21 PM »

Hello Dan and welcome. .

Johnson transmitters and Motown! We'll get along just fine!

Buddly
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 10:19:41 PM »

Hey Mike I have a friend at work that is a Designer as well that looks so much like you. I will show your picture to him on Thursday...

That's an, ah, older photograph of me; I'm a bit grayer now. [My girlfriend said that "I got OLD"...this coming from a former high-school classmate who is 38 days older than me!  Cheesy]  And it's interesting you mention designers, that shot was taken by a designer/engineer friend of mine at that job, years ago.

While you're busy getting your feet wet so to speak, with tube gear, don't allow your boundless enthusiasm to compromise safety.  As you're well aware, them thar firebottles play with some dangerous if not deadly voltages.  Please take the time to ensure that you don't get on the wrong side of things.  Barbecued ham is best for lunch, not for the obituary section.  Wink

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015