The AM Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:52:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio News magazine online  (Read 10909 times)
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« on: December 05, 2013, 01:22:14 PM »

Good readin' from Hugo Gernsback.

http://americanradiohistory.com/Radio_News_Master_Page_Guide.htm

--- Post No Bills ---
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 03:57:03 PM »

Great find Sam!  I have some in print, but not as many as this on-line source. 

Thanks for posting it.

Joe - W3GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W3NE
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »

Here's where I don't get any work done for a while, with all those great O.T. issues to devour. Thanks for making nostalgia what it used to be Sam!

Bob - NE
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 11:04:39 PM »

Here's where I don't get any work done for a while

Heard a great quote the other day - "If Twitter was around in back the Stone Age, we would still be waiting around for the wheel to be invented..."

Thanks for the great link...i'm off to waste some quality time there myself!

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W6WAC

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 11:18:25 PM »

Several years ago I ran across a website of David Gleason and found he had collected a great deal of radio publications, etc, over the 50+ years he had been in the broadcast industry and had archived them on his website.  Although I hadn't been on his website in quite awhile, I wondered when I went to the link above if it was his archive (it was a different website then) and find that it is David Gleason's (look under the webmaster/email tab).  All I can say is kudos to Mr. Gleason for this concentrated collection of history.  There is no way any of us in our life time can read all of what he has as some of those publications are hundreds of pages long.

Scott
KA6FZT
WB2CAU

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 09:28:22 AM »

Out of curiosity I attempted to view the very early and very late issues and found the resolution to be to too poor to read the standard text.  What a shame.

Either I have a PDF reader compatibility issue or they were scanned at too low resolution.  Or perhaps the issues I opened were the exceptions?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 09:35:34 AM »

I just opened the Dec 1919 and March 1920 issues with no problem.  Resolution is decent for images and excellent for text.  What are you using for a pdf reader?

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
WB2CAU

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 09:58:25 AM »

I just opened the Dec 1919 and March 1920 issues with no problem.  Resolution is decent for images and excellent for text.  What are you using for a pdf reader?

I'm using Mozilla Firefox and there must be a PDF reader built into the browser.  In the past, whatever Firefox is using works quite well for viewing online.  After reading your posting, I downloaded the file, then opened offline in Nitro Pro 8 which works much better.  Text resolution is just fine with it.  I don't know why this time Firefox is not giving the performance it has previously.  

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 10:00:57 AM »

I use Firefox and everything for me works just fine.  Good resolution and very viewable.

Joe, GMS

WB2CAU

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 10:04:39 AM »

Joe, good to see you here.  I was listening to you a short time ago on 3.705.  Thanks for the report on Firefox at your place.  I'll try rebooting the PC and see if it resolves it.  Otherwise, I have to assume some file is corrupt here.  I could try another PC just to confirm. 

Thanks again for your input.

WQ9E

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 02:13:23 PM »

I came across this link last week while searching for info on an "Aero International 4" shortwave receiver and was amazed at all of the stuff on it.  I posted it to the Antique radio forum but somehow neglected this site and I am glad someone place it here.  It looks like Radio Craft will be up soon.  The Citizens Radio Callbook has some good stuff and Wireless Age is fascinating.  The scan quality on everything looks great to me although I just downloaded everything and I have not been viewing them online.  Compared to the crap quality of QST scans this stuff is beautiful.  I am starting to search for transmitter ideas to go with my newly acquired 1928 Aero receiver Smiley 

I have a mixed love/hate relationship with FireFox and Foxit reader.  Foxit used to be incredibly svelte but is as bloated and lethargic as Adobe Pro now when handling large files, I wish I had kept an earlier version on one of my machines.  The fairly recent "ribbon style" menus are particularly annoying because they take up so much of the screen bu you can make those go away by selecting the classic interface in the preferences section.  Running full screen is nice on my page view monitor on the desk top but a little small for a laptop so I don't really care for the full screen mode unless I have the large monitor.

I wish someone made a "Nook on steroids".  A full scale page (or even better facing page) device would be great for those of us who have various mobile devices for on-the-go but would like something perfect for reading ebooks (and particularly E-technical journals) when at home.  Are you elves listening Santa?   Smiley

Rodger WQ9E
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 02:20:59 PM »

Nice find Sam and thanks for sharing the link. I downloaded the December 1949 issue (my arrival month and year) and I'm on my third cup of coffee and still reading. Great stuff!

Thanks,

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 05:26:36 PM »

Joe, good to see you here.  I was listening to you a short time ago on 3.705.  Thanks for the report on Firefox at your place.  I'll try rebooting the PC and see if it resolves it.  Otherwise, I have to assume some file is corrupt here.  I could try another PC just to confirm. 

Thanks again for your input.

Great Eric and glad you were listening this morning.  Next time break on in! 

Let us know how it turns out with viewing the files with Firefox. 

Joe, GMS

w1vtp

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 06:50:42 PM »

I just opened the Dec 1919 and March 1920 issues with no problem.  Resolution is decent for images and excellent for text.  What are you using for a pdf reader?

I'm using Mozilla Firefox and there must be a PDF reader built into the browser.  In the past, whatever Firefox is using works quite well for viewing online.  After reading your posting, I downloaded the file, then opened offline in Nitro Pro 8 which works much better.  Text resolution is just fine with it.  I don't know why this time Firefox is not giving the performance it has previously.  

Eric

I have the same problem with my Firefox but it works just fine in IE.  It has to be a plugin problem.
John K5PRO

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 08:23:18 PM »

That's a wonderful load of information! I just picked out a sampling and found the amplifier tube cover story in Oct. 1961. This is the same tube that we are still running in my workplace, although I am replacing them with a new tetrode now. What a mother lode!
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 08:24:49 PM »

Try this.

I wish someone made a "Nook on steroids".  A full scale page (or even better facing page) device would be great for those of us who have various mobile devices for on-the-go but would like something perfect for reading ebooks (and particularly E-technical journals) when at home.  Are you elves listening Santa?   Smiley
WQ9E

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 09:42:36 PM »

Thanks Steve!  That is perfect.  I have been looking at some possibilities to replace my current laptop and the XPS-18 with an I-7 looks perfect and should work very well for my magazine viewing.

The day I discovered the site I downloaded all of the Radio News, Wireless Age, Citizens Radio Callbook, and the RCA journals to a 2 Tb WD "passport" so I am ready to plug the magazines into whatever I buy.

Rodger WQ9E
WB2CAU

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 09:12:40 AM »

I have the same problem with my Firefox but it works just fine in IE.  It has to be a plugin problem.

Yep, I tried rebooting this PC to no avail, and tried another PC on my home network and I had the same result.  I believe Firefox uses an Adobe Reader plugin so I updated it but it made no difference here.  So, I'm not sure why we're experiencing something I never noticed in the past.  I wonder if the folks not having the problem might be using a different OS.  I'm using Windows XP SP3 with all the available updates.  Perhaps it's the MS updates that caused this recent problem.

Since downloading and opening it offline resolves the problem I'm halfway content.

Eric

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 10:22:16 AM »

Yep, I tried rebooting this PC to no avail, and tried another PC on my home network and I had the same result.  I believe Firefox uses an Adobe Reader plugin so I updated it but it made no difference here.  So, I'm not sure why we're experiencing something I never noticed in the past.  I wonder if the folks not having the problem might be using a different OS.  I'm using Windows XP SP3 with all the available updates.  Perhaps it's the MS updates that caused this recent problem.

Since downloading and opening it offline resolves the problem I'm halfway content.

Eric

Eric,
I am using Windows 7. 
Joe - GMS

AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 06:45:48 PM »

When trying to view using Firefox on our iMac, poor resolution using the plug-in .pdf viewer.  On my iPhone 4S, each page takes a few seconds to sharpen up, but when they are done, they look great.

Firefox is defaulting right to the direct on-line view, how do I download and read offline?

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WQ9E

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 07:41:42 PM »

Chris,

You should be able to right click on the issue and choose "save link as..." to your computer.

If you are on a fast connection use the free FireFox add on "download them all" to grab all of the issues instead of having to click one by one.

Rodger WQ9E
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 07:55:36 PM »

Control-click, if you have a one button mouse.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 11:56:12 PM »

They all look fine here using either Firefox or IE. My default browser is Adobe XI. Running Win8; screen resolution is 1920 X 1200.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 06:36:07 AM »

Pages load sharp and clear on the iMac using Safari as the browser in lieu of Firefox, Safari loaded pages sharp on the iPhone. 

Fantastic collection of radio history!  Going to be tough to stay on task for all the honey-dos today.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2013, 01:01:03 PM »

I use Firefox browser and Foxit PDF reader. Works fine.   I deleted the troublesome Acrobat Reader from my computer.

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015