The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:33:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SRR-13A Navy Receiver  (Read 2668 times)
k5ygc

« on: November 18, 2013, 10:02:40 AM »

Does anyone know what panadapter would have been used with this Rx? Mark K5YGC
K7MCG

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 04:31:27 PM »

The SRR-13A receiver provides a cathode-follower buffered panadaptor output at 1600KC center frequency.  I don't know of any Panoramic Radio Corp panadaptors that were specifically designed for this IF frequency.  By the time of the SRR-13,  many military and government agencies were buying spectrum analysis products against commercial part numbers, rather than as nomenclatured mil-spec items. These analyzers were produced by a number of favored contractors, who often supplied complete receiving systems.  For the 1600KC input spectrum, a general purpose analyzer with tunable front end could have been used.

A Panoramic product, with tunable input frequency such as the Panoramic SSB-50 could be used with your receiver.  A HP 141/8552/8553 analyzer would also serve well. I have two such analyzers that I would be willing to sell, but only for west coast pickup/delivery.  They are heavy.

Chuck K7MCG
k5ygc

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 07:49:22 AM »

Thanks for the reply that is the info I needed and unfortunately California is quite the trip from here. 73 k5ygc
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 07:06:54 PM »

It does not go with it.. but will work:

If you find Panoramic / Singer /  Alfred / Slant-Fin spectrum analyzer, they commonly cover 50KHz to 25Mhz. It may have any of those names. Manuals here: http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/lit/singer/index.html

Last one I bought was $40. 19" wide, 5" P7 CRT, once set up, set and forget. Look for the MF-5 frame and VR-4 plugin. There are other models as well from this company that may tune 1600KC. Mine drifts until warm, but that's because I have not fixed that.

I have a SSB-50 system and the plastic gears inside the RF-8 tuning head (RF unit) are broken, be sure to check that first.

more SRR-13 info here:
http://jproc.ca/rrp/bey1960.html
and there is a Navy enthusiast site that has more detailed data, can't find it now.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015