The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 05:53:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R-45/ARR-7 Question  (Read 3131 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: October 26, 2013, 09:51:21 AM »

Hi John
I may have caused this thread. KC2TAU is reviving an old receiver ARR-7 Halli and there are issues with sensitivity and the power supply. Something about the re-radiation tube and how to modify. You responded in a Hallicrafter thread about that "extra tube". Plus he has poor sensitivity with his unit and thinks the B+ is low. I responded that 250 VDC was operating volts and 6.3 for the fils. Maybe a bad  I.F. transformer
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KC2TAU

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 04:34:02 PM »

Well, okay. Hopefully this will get moved to Technical because I don't want to clutter up the forum with another topic. The question I wanted to ask was how to properly bypass the 6AB7 re-radiation suppressor on the R-45/ARR-7.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 05:23:04 PM »

.01 or so capacitor between pin 4 and 8 of the 6AB7 socket

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KC2TAU

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 06:31:19 PM »

Silly question but, does the tube still need to be in the socket? The reason I ask is that I tried that using a socket saver and putting a .01 in the holes of pins 4 and 8 just to test and something got rather cranky and hot as I could smell it and so I shut things down in a hurry. It seemed like it was coming from one of the larger WW resistors at the rear of the chassis. Perhaps the connection in the socket saver wasn't as good as it should have been. I need to fabricate something more permanent. All I know is that smell gave me a fright.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 08:46:15 PM »

nope, pull the tube.

Silly question but, does the tube still need to be in the socket? The reason I ask is that I tried that using a socket saver and putting a .01 in the holes of pins 4 and 8 just to test and something got rather cranky and hot as I could smell it and so I shut things down in a hurry. It seemed like it was coming from one of the larger WW resistors at the rear of the chassis. Perhaps the connection in the socket saver wasn't as good as it should have been. I need to fabricate something more permanent. All I know is that smell gave me a fright.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 10:45:35 AM »

seems 6ba7 are prone to getting/being gassy ... I have 3 NOS Sylvania .... all test gassy to varying degrees on B&K tester

anyone know of a fix ?

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015