The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:26:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exciter Suggestions?  (Read 5876 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: October 20, 2013, 12:41:44 PM »

I'm looking for suggestions for a simple solid state exciter of about 5-10 watts. It needs a VFO - and a CW carrier is all that's required.  160-40M.     A 5 watt VFO, essentially.

Is there a PB board unit like this out there?  I want something small.

I need it to drive my 4X1 plate modulated AM rig.  The 4X1 has an IPA, so 5 watts is all I need.  My FT-1000D works FB as an exciter, but it has a double carrier up 2kc when on 3875. (3875 and 3877)    This is a 1000D synth factory bug and not curable. 

There must be a little kit or hobby unit out there. I suppose I could get a little mobile Yaesu or Kenwood POS, but just wanted to check around for something else first.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 01:52:40 PM »

This will give you the VFO part.

http://www.pongrance.com

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 04:42:20 PM »

Pretty slick, Steve.   Tnx, OM.

If I can find a suitable 160M - 40M  board to do  250MV in and 5-10w out, I think I'll give it a go.

Here's what they say about the output of the VFO:

"Output: The output signal is not amplified, and the level is approx. 250mV peak to peak
which works well with SA612 or similar mixers. Output impedance is 200 ohms. It does
not need to be matched, but the output filter is flatter if the output is matched. With
vintage radios, or other applications, you may need a separate buffer amplifier."

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 04:59:32 PM »

There is a buffer amp design on that page. It's low power but made for 50 Ohms.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 06:47:19 AM »

For simplicity, Tom, I used a TS-50 or even an old rice box POS for an exciter, when I had the "big rig" (4CX1500A plate modulated by a pair of 4CX1200A7's).
Needed 15W drive and the "exciter" never flinched or complained.
Only if you're in a hurry to get your TX on the air.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 07:32:27 AM »

ah so Dr. Vu ....

are you still seeking extreme spectral purity ?     purity of essence     essence of purity  Huh

this is not so strange as it might seem ....

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 07:46:53 AM »

Tom,

There is always the vacuum tube exciter possibility. The image posted is from the RCA VFO, a very stable two tube exciter that covers all the bands. See link:

http://69.36.164.11/tube/man/rcagfat42.pdf

Pages 52 to 56

Using an 802 oscillator followed by an 807 would be way cool. Then if you want better stability, add the X-Lock 3.0 like I did to my Knight Kit V44 tube VFO:

http://www.cumbriadesigns.co.uk/x-lock_solutions.htm

My V44 stabilized solution is on the list...It holds the VFO, which is a keyed VFO (frequency shifted) to within a few Hz.

Jim
WD5JKO

* RCA VFO.png (563.64 KB, 939x542 - viewed 479 times.)
KL7OF

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 08:20:41 AM »

Jim

Tom,

There is always the vacuum tube exciter possibility. The image posted is from the RCA VFO, a very stable two tube exciter that covers all the bands. See link:

http://69.36.164.11/tube/man/rcagfat42.pdf

Pages 52 to 56

Using an 802 oscillator followed by an 807 would be way cool. Then if you want better stability, add the X-Lock 3.0 like I did to my Knight Kit V44 tube VFO:

http://www.cumbriadesigns.co.uk/x-lock_solutions.htm

My V44 stabilized solution is on the list...It holds the VFO, which is a keyed VFO (frequency keyed) to within a few Hz.

Jim
WD5JKO

Jim and Tom...I have one of these RCA VFOs....Until now I didn't know it was a commercial unit built by RCA...It looks like a well built homebrew...It is very stable after warmup and I use it to drive my TESLA 360...
WQ9E

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 08:54:51 AM »

That RCA VFO is a beautiful piece of gear.  I have never seen one before (and probably never will in person).

Rodger WQ9E
W1ITT

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 09:06:43 AM »

Tom...
How about using the above-referenced digital VFO with the PennyWhistle amplifier that TAPR offers for the HPSDR goodies. 
     http://www.tapr.org/kits_pw.html     
It will make more than enough power when driven to full strap, but those devices are very clean...mid 40s imd...  when run in the 5 or 6 watt range, not that imd makes a whole lot of difference in driving a class C stage.  It's a cunnin' little mini brick...good from 160 to 6m.  You might want to follow it with a switched W3NQN-style bandpass filter if the AM rig doesn't already have a tuned input.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »

Yes, that RCA VFO certainly is a nice looking and stable unit - especially for tubes  with 25w out.   They are probably very rare.

The HPSDR Penny Whistle is another idea, coupled with the DDS VFO.  I already have the full HPSDR transmitter and receiver working here.... mainly use it as a spec analyzer for now.

Then again, the little Kenwood TS-50 is a possibility.... easy as pie and cheap.

Nice work on the V44, Jim.

Still thinking.   Tnx for the suggestions, guys.

T

K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 12:01:39 PM »

And Tom,

Have one of those DDS VFOs here,  and while doing house renovation projects,  had been wondering about using an IXD-414 (or 614 - is that the new P/N?) as the output stage for that VFO.

Probably would need a LPF/BPF following it ...  but ...  It may not have quite enough output.  Perhaps that Gull-Winged part,  the # of which escapes me just now(?).
EDIT  Those higher power devices are the DEIC-420,  and now the 421:
http://datasheet.elcodis.com/pdf2/88/51/885175/evic420.pdf

AND,  Jim,  thanks for the link to the RCA publication.  Had not seen that before.

Realize that the IXD/DEIC parts are not in keeping with tubes,  but would match the DDS approach well.

FWIW,  Vic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015