The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 02:26:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E.F.Johnson  (Read 7468 times)
RolandSWL
Contributing

« on: October 15, 2013, 09:04:48 AM »

Hi All,

I know this is a large question,but,here goes. Which transmitters made by E.F.Johnson are most preferred by the A.M. crowd?
What strengths/weaknesses separate them from each other?
Which are most sought after, which are avoided?

Thanks, Roland...........................
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 09:46:45 AM »

Hi Roland,

I have just about all of the models Johnson built ranging from the little Adventurer and Navigator through a 500, Desk KW, and Invader 2000.  I think the most reliable and easiest to maintain models are the Viking 1 and Viking 2 but plan on getting a VFO-122 (or similar VFO) to go with one.  Some people have had issues with the Valiant but I have had very little trouble from my Valiant 1 and 2 transmitters.  The Ranger is popular because of its compact size, good audio, and built in VFO.

I would stay away from the Challenger because it is a pretty lightweight build and unless you are into vintage SSB the Pacemaker is not for you.  The Invader 200 and 2000 are also more SSB oriented also and can be intimidating to work on.

I would start with either a Viking 1 or Viking 2, there are differences between the models but performance is equal.

Rodger WQ9E
KD0HUX

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:55:26 AM »

IN MY OPINION EF JOHNSON VIKING 500 AND VIKING VALIANT AS STAND ALONE TRANSMITTERS .  DRIVING A LINEAR AMPLIFIER THE VIKING RANGER  Huh WHEN UPDATED AND MODIFIED GREAT   Shocked LOUD  PLATE MODULATION Shocked EF JOHNSON TRANSMITTERS HAVE REACHED CULT STATUS WITH THE         11 METER CB CROWD.  THAT WHY THE PRICE IS SO HIGH.  I AM GUILTY  Embarrassed  MY FIRST 11 METER STATIONS WERE RANGERS AND VALIANTS    WITH AND R390a Embarrassed   THE  HOLY GRAIL  EF JOHNSON   HAS TO BE THE  EF JOHNSON  DESK KILOWATT Cool
k7pp

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 10:45:16 AM »

For all it's quirks,  my Choice would be the Valiant.  Hands down.  Second choice would be Viking ll or Viking 1 only because you need a separate VFO. and then the Ranger series.
Reason?   The 500, Desk KW, Invader, and Pacemaker as well as the Johnson mobile, Challenger and Adventurer  don't have 160 meters.

Reason?   A brief time before GPS where it was illegal to operate SSB on 160 meters and before that, some parts of the Country were limited in power output especially near coastal Loran stations.

Running the Ranger into a linear is a distant third choice but consider the Val can produce upwards to 540 watts peak into 50 ohms.  1.414 X carrier X 2 plus carrier for PEP output.
An SB 200 might be good for 600 to 700 watts PEP on AM with a carrier output of 175 watts. In other words,  you would have to employ a legal limit amplifier to see even one S unit advantage and even then many linear amps were made for SSB and have very reduced specs for AM mode.

As another poster suggested,  the other Johnsons are popular with the
Elite radio service and command a pretty hefty sum.

If you don't care about 160 then a Ranger driven Desk or 500 would more than satisfy but remember no 160 meter operation for the Desk.
I must confess that I have a soft spot for the Val.  In the late 50's, I can remember standing at the counter at C&G radio in Tacoma and trying to mentally calculate how many lawns I'd have to mow to afford one.  My math indicated something in the order of hell freezing over.....LOL.
KL7OF

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 12:28:02 PM »

Ashtabula Bills favorite was the Viking 2...He would prop it up on its side and work on it while in QSO with it...Lots of room under the chassis, simple layout, easy to get parts....100 watts...My favorite Johnson as well...
K9PNP

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 06:20:50 PM »

I would have to go with the Viking II with 122 VFO.  Have tried others, but still own and use the V2.  Like was said, easy to work on and more or less predictable.

Like I told one of my friends some time ago:  I finally got the station I wanted in the early 60's, a Viking II with 122 VFO and HQ-170.  Only took 40 or 50 years.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 07:14:46 PM »

Roland,

Check the or Sale section. There is a Valiant listed today in which you may be interested.

I do not know the seller nor the rig, but it's probably worth making contact as it seems to me to be a steal.

Jack
WA2OLZ
WQ9E

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 08:06:25 PM »

I had a Valiant as my novice rig back in 1975 and recreating that first setup was my start with vintage gear restoration in 1994.  There are some issues that need to be addressed with Valiants, particularly the early ones, but I do really like them although it seems I am in the minority.  If you pick one up let me know and I will send you a list of some cautions and items to check.  ABOVE ALL, do NOT immediately start modifying whatever you buy.   Make sure it is working normally and get used to the operation of it before even considering the host of audio mods that follow these rigs like a horde of locusts.

Rodger WQ9E
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 08:41:19 PM »

Considering price, performance, ease of repair or modification and band coverage, the Viking I or II is the hands down winner. The external VFO is a detractor for some but I see it as a plus - less heat from the rest of the TX to cause drift. The difference in power output between a Viking I/II and a Valiant is less than 2 dB, an amount likely never noticed in the real world.  And this assumes that the Valiant can fully modulate at its rated power output (not likely).

That said, a Valiant at the right price is well worth getting.

RolandSWL
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 10:48:52 AM »

Many thanks for the information. One last question, what is the amplitude of the signal output from the external VFO?

Roland.............................
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 11:07:58 AM »

[edit]
See manual excerpt

* vfo exerpt.png (97.87 KB, 1064x768 - viewed 501 times.)

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
w1vtp

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 09:34:28 PM »

Viking 1 is my first choice. I like the ruggedness of the 4D32 and there seems to be a goodly number of that tube available these days. The VFO shouldn't be in the mix at all.  If you work 3875 to 3885 consider crystal operation - 3 crystals should do the trick there.  40 meters, a couple of crystals might fit the bill - or maybe 3.  20 meters - dunno but I think there is mainly one popular frequency.  I have both the 1 and 2 and two 122s.  Some day, I'll get one of them on, probably the 1

Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015