The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 01:26:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson Matchbox panel and cover mystery.  (Read 1653 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« on: August 24, 2013, 10:36:18 AM »

Steve, please move to QSO?

I noticed that K2VMC had a "want" the other day for the cab., front panel and bushings for a Kw Matchbox.

I found exactly the same situation at Timonium several years ago where a guy was selling a perfectly good matchbox, relay intact, rear panel and all wiring original and intact, excellent knobs hanging on coupler shafts, I.e.. everything perfect, except missing the front panel and top/sides U shaped cover.  I bought it and made up an unpainted front panel, but thankfully the knobs have calibration markings so new panel needed only tic marks.  Eventually I'll make up a cane metal or solid cover, a simple U, with some 1/2 in. Al extrusion angle stock if required.

Asked the seller what happened to the outsides and panel of such a nice matchbox? He said he didn't have a clue with reasonably straight face.  Said he got it that way.

So that's two of us.  Who or what in the world wants front panels and top/side panels enough to skim them off perfectly good Johnson matchboxes?  Am I missing something?
Sent to a body shop that went out of business?  Dimensions match something more desirable perfectly? Maybe damaged in shipment or painted pink... Grin

P.s.,I have extra bushings and PM me if you want to make up a front panel.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 08:46:18 PM »

funny you mention pink. Happened to a Stromberg-Carlson AP-80 I loaned a friend in the 80's. That dignified Gray Lady o' the Rack came back with worn out 6550's and a fluorescent hot pink front front panel. No doubt been subjected to unspeakerable indignities. dang hippies.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015