The AM Forum
May 28, 2024, 02:00:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lionel trains and modern electronics  (Read 4507 times)
Edward Cain
« on: August 21, 2013, 02:09:55 PM »

I had been thinking about a new Lionel train to entertain me in my second early childhood until I viewed this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2miYOTnJgdY

Huh?

Ed
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 02:22:36 PM »

In other words, Lionel's version of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

Grin

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 03:06:04 PM »

Well I understand why this topic is in QSO instead of Technical because the concepts are so simple.

Both simply describe methods to prevent yawl.

a.) keep Lionel trains on the track (steering by approximation between rails kept to a minimum.) I'll admit that some confusion might arise because of the description of Lionel's legacy reversing mechanism (electro-magnetic-mechanical) was coupled to track position sensors in the latest, hottest version.

b.) in the Turbine case, to keep the adjunct winged carrier body from real yawl.
      - The pointing out the of vertical stabilizer coupled with turbine components was the dead giveaway.  

seriously....

RICK  *W3RSW*
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 03:10:01 PM »

Another thought...
If still confused, ask Dilbert.

RICK  *W3RSW*
K9DXL

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »

Of course, what we have just seen is a grossly simplified explanation.  For the new guys.  Geeeez, is this hobby getting dumbed down, or what?  Not like the old days, when we had to go down to the Federal Bulding and draw it out in front of a steely-eyed examiner.  On toilet paper.  With our own blood.

Breathing solder fumes since 1959.  That explains a lot.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 12:29:50 AM »

I actually worked for Lionel one summer between years of college. This was in Mt. Clemens, Mich when I was WB8PEP. The summer of 1975 I believe. I was a molding machine operator. I had to bicycle each way on a busy road with no shoulder, about 6 miles each way. No cell phones back then either. I made $2.40 an hour too. Eventually this old guy with two ex-wives, and Alimony to pay fell off an injection molding machine and broke his back. I got his job without a raise. Then comes up labor day, and I ask about the holiday pay since I was going back to school after the holiday. They said sure just work up to Labor Day. Never got paid for it, and in my last check they took out union dues that amounted to ten hours pay. My only time in a union (UAW too), and they gave me a life long lesson.

Jim
WD5JKO
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 06:29:03 AM »

The presenter musta needed to go pee. He could not stand still while bloviating.
There is a guy in town who has a "train City" with original Lionel and other brands. The BIG stuff not the HO toys. There must be $200,000 worth of trains and cities. Lights, billboards,buildings.
I changed my mind to try to get my son interested in trains.

Fred KC4MOP
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 02:11:53 PM »

Jim, KDO.
-good story.  Do you or your kids have Lionels now?

I've obtained various units of the 1945 first post war set with the 224 engine, whistle tender, tanker, gondola, four door auto car and the lighted caboose. 
All cars were scale-detailed with little air receivers hanging from their undersides but had the very delicate shoe contact electric couplers that were readily broken off in play.

As I've read, Lionel wanted to get something out the door by Christmas, '45, hence the one set.  Tough going from BC610's back to your molding machine.  Grin   Think of the history in that plant. 

I used to work summers and Saturdays while in school at a casket factory.
Loading lumber, staining and varnishing.  Uh, didn't really think of the history there but it was a Teamster outfit and my miniscule wages were garnished like yours. Your sure learn a lot about business doing that sort of stuff, both from the owners point and the union BA's.

RICK  *W3RSW*
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 02:54:38 PM »

Jim, KDO.
-good story.  Do you or your kids have Lionels now?

I have a set left over from my oldest son who is 34 years old now. It is here if he ever wants it. My set was quite extensive, and lots of engines, accessories, etc. My last setup was in a neighbors garage back in the summer of 1969 when I was 13. When fall came I forgot about it. The garage had a leaking roof, and in the spring I discovered everything was a ball of rust...a total loss. I had another neighbor that grew up, and moved on. His trains were many, like a big cast iron Lionel locomotive with two sets of 6 drive wheels, a 4-12-4 I believe. The last I saw it his baby brother had it in the sand box outside. That engine and tender would be worth thousands today..

Jim
WD5JKO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015