The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:49:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheapie Broadcast Transmitters  (Read 9676 times)
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« on: July 02, 2013, 08:10:18 AM »

Question: What's up with the plethora (that means a whole mess of 'em) of low powered AM and FM transmitters on Ebay this days? Is there a big market for low powered radio station gear? No, I'm not gonna be buying one. Just curious when I do searches for broadcast transmitters (not that I actually have room for one), eg. "window shopping".

Philip
KA4KOE

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 09:20:28 AM »

Haven't looked at them in a while but if memory serves me, a number of those are the 'talking house' types used by real estate folks to broadcast low power info to passers by about property for sale. Had one at my old place for a while when it was first on the market, kinda cool. Other stuff could be old school or church LP transmitters. Dunno.

Now, if you do decide you want a REAL broadcast transmitter, I've got just the ticket here. All converted and ready to go, needs a new home. Would solve a lot of those questions about garage space, for sure. Photos from it's original home at W2INR studios.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=73

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=71

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=69

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
ka4koe
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »

Todd, I see at least 5 problems with that proposition.....

1. Distance: Transport from 1 Land to south of the Mason Dixon Line.
2. Heft: Likely your behemoth(s) tip the scales well in excess of 1000 pounds. I drive a Toyota Tacoma.
3. Bulk: Pretty certain no way the Tacoma could contain the sheer bulk of that monster.
4. Asylum: The bride will have me committed to one; as a nurse in the mental health field, she KNOWS HOW!!
5. Attorney: The bride will legally separate from moi and transfer my treasure to "one with the snows of yesteryear".

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 09:28:03 AM »

Heh heh heh....but I'm not in 1 Land, I'm in 4 Land. Just a few hours from you.

And it's not even close to 1000 pounds. Closer to 4000. Much of it is iron and steel cabinets.

But yes - not for the novice, weak-of-heart(or back!), or apartment dweller. The only reason I'm sending it down the road is having moved into a place with less than half the sq ft-age as where I lived previously. And my current life sked makes it less practical time-wise.

W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 10:36:35 AM »

Todd:

I am sorry that you are forced to find a new home for your 21E.  However since I am in a very similar situation having downsized to 920 square feet I understand what you are going.

Having seen it in G's basement in Sorry Excuse on several occasions I can attest to the fact that this is truly a thing of beauty and a joy to behold.

I hope that it goes to someone who will appreciate it.

MrMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
ka4koe
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 10:38:04 AM »

Thanks for the clarification of the behemoth tipping the scales at ONLY 4000 pounds. I think my Tacoma is only rated to tow 4500. The K7DYY Super Senior is looking better every day.

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 11:24:50 AM »

"       The bride      "

My wife has been after me to buy a 'shed' to put our stuff in. My sugestion is to toss everything we have more than 3 of. (For example, we have 4 salt/fertilizer spreaders. A long story) (Her mother kept a printing press in the cellar for 20 years. A long story.)

The 21E, well, MAYBE this is a compromise position. Why, I'd even let people come and see it.

Rent a trailer ?

klc

What? Me worry?
ka4koe
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 01:36:42 PM »

I can see where the "3 rule" wouldn't fly. Reference my earlier postings with regards to women and their shoes, or purses, etc.

Let me guess.. the little transmitter also requires 208V, 3 phase, 4 wire "wye" to work, or does it feed on 240V, 3 phase, high leg delta?

My bet is it wouldn't play on a plain ole' 240V, 1 phase, residential service.

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 02:53:19 PM »

I have seen that transmitter in operation and worked Gary on it in the "The Good Old Days" of ham radio. Yes, I think the big rigs have passed by most of us. It was wired for single phase.

Years ago I seen one in operation in the BC service near Poughkeepsie New York. The transmitter building had a big iron door with a big glass window and you could see the driver tubes glowing away along with the rectifiers. Probably long gone but was in like new condition.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 06:57:19 PM »

That whole line of Collins BC Transmitters are beautiful.

Centuries ago,  was a Transmitter Engineer at K-101 in SF.  The AM station was deemed as having "Unstable Antenna Base Currents",  and as such required a full-time Engineer on site.

It was a boring job,  but the 21E main rig was along one wall,  and the 21E Back-up rig was along the opposite wall.  Great wallpaper!   These rigs were very reliable,  and only had a few trip-offs during my tenure.

And while boring,  was still a fun-ish job,  working for a "legendary", maverick  broadcaster,  Jim Gabbert.

Was fun then,  but was glad to get out of broadcasting,  FWIW,  Vic
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 11:47:55 PM »

In it's stock form, this is true. The TX Todd has was modified for operation off 220 VAC, single phase. You should get it.

I can see where the "3 rule" wouldn't fly. Reference my earlier postings with regards to women and their shoes, or purses, etc.

Let me guess.. the little transmitter also requires 208V, 3 phase, 4 wire "wye" to work, or does it feed on 240V, 3 phase, high leg delta?

My bet is it wouldn't play on a plain ole' 240V, 1 phase, residential service.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 07:13:23 AM »

The eBay stuff is mostly FM for the bootleggers. You might want to search HAM AM transmitter.
The 21E is not for the faint-of-heart.

I was out hunting for a give-away. I went to our local AM and the engineer is a Ham and the 3 stations he cares for, are all 5kw stations. He mentioned the Gates MW-1, but would never tackle it to convert to 160M.
He suggested to do a little searching for very small stations that are 1kw power and start driving to them for the eye contact with management/engineer to see about any possible retirements.
These transmitters are just cycling around as back-ups. The ones that are give-aways usually are going to be costly to bring back to life. Most owners are not doing well financially to buy a new TX for back-up.
You should keep watching here in AMFONE "for sale/trade" for broadcast TX. Paul, WA3VJB, was posting transmitters needing homes, that were retired from service.
My new focus is a freebie. I regret all of the broadcast TX's that have gone through my hands. The last one that left was a good-will offering to a dear Ham op, who never got the chance to unpack and use it.
I do not even know if the new owner got it on the air yet.

EDIT: on page one of AMFONE "for sale/trade" there are a couple of BC transmitters for sale. One is a 5KW, unfinished project for $750......but it won't fit in your Tacoma. Watch AMFONE for better deals on TX's.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 09:49:50 AM »

Sorry I didn't mention it before, but as Steve & Terry both indicated - Gary converted the 21E to single phase. I'm guessing the Dahl plate iron alone cost well over $1K. Aside from being disassembled for the move it's a completely converted, plug-n-play (some assembly required) unit. The ceramic jugs were replaced with 450THs & TLs. A true thing of beauty, as with anything else Gary ever built or converted that I saw.

As to weight, the smallest transmitters I use run around 100 lbs or so. They go up from there, although I suspect Terry's big Westinghouse is at least on par with the 21E if not larger. That's another true beauty. The motto "Go big or go home" is right up there alongside "Life is too short for QRP" in this case. 

Sorry to say that a Toyota pickup or any pickup alone won't haul it. Even with a larger truck, you'd still need a trailer for space reasons. I did move a Collins 300G from SW Colorado to VT with a Ranger 4x4 and a small U-Haul trailer up over Wolf Creek Pass in the Rockies, but it was only 1370 lbs. When Steve and I drove up to Gary's place to get the 21E I rented a medium Penske life gate truck, really the only way to go when moving large equipment. The cabinets have low profile casters but easily rolled on and off the truck.

But those little Talking House transmitters are simple to move. I've heard that even a caveman can do it.   Wink

John K5PRO

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 11:42:45 AM »

Many of those TX on Epay are coming in from China, Italy, and Eastern Bloc manufacturers. They are trying to capitalize on the FM Translator and LPFM market. Many are not FCC Type Notified for use in US broadcast stations. But for pirates and third world, they are cheap.
K7NCR

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 12:12:55 PM »

. The last one that left was a good-will offering to a dear Ham op, who never got the chance to unpack and use it.
I do not even know if the new owner got it on the air yet.

I think you are refering to Derb. I hope all his gear found good homes.
Done hijacking thread now.
Norm

K7 Norms Classic Radio
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 12:32:01 PM »

What's up with the plethora (that means a whole mess of 'em) of low powered AM and FM transmitters on Ebay this days?

There are a lot of Cuban Americans down in Florida using such gear as FM bootleggers and the FCC in turn, is busting a bunch of them. On the other side of the coin, there was a bootleg station running for 16 years in Bennington, VT with multiple disk jockeys from the community running it. They were on FM so I guess if no one complains in a small community, you can get away with it for some time.  

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 12:38:38 PM »

I think you are refering to Derb. I hope all his gear found good homes.
Done hijacking thread now.
Norm
[/quote]

Derb's old BC rig is now owned by Steve, W3OKC. I don't believe he has it on the air yet, but plans to do so.  In the move, a lot of the documentation got lost and this big rig is very new to him.  Jay, WWL I believe lives close to Steve so a helping hand I am sure would be appreciated.  Jay owned this rig before Fred got it so he is well familiar with it.  At one time I believe a video was made on the operation of it.  It would be nice for Steve to have a copy of the video if anyone has it.  I think you made the video Fred but not sure. 

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 01:13:53 PM »

Derbs transmitter on YOUTUBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grgLXWdd9GA

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 01:51:40 PM »

Yup that Youtube was the incomplete video of the TX. Documentation (The Manual and the complete DVD) was sent priority mail. There is understandable confusion and distress after Derb left us.
The video showed how the TX was keyed how RF drive was applied, etc etc. I never wasted my time to follow the schematics to move it to 75M.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 05:23:16 PM »

Yep, a lot was happening and its good the BC rig did not get lost!  I normally make copies of any documentation I ship out, unless I can easily get it elsewhere.  When its gone its gone!  A lot of our newer Ham's and even the older Ham's just getting into these big rigs generally need guidance.  We take for granted but some just don't have the experience.  Hopefully Steve will be able to get some help.  I don't think it will take long to get it running.  If need be, I can go up and give him a hand with it.  I know Jay had it on 160 and 80. 

Joe, GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 06:24:03 PM »

ER had a 4 or 5 part series dealing with BC conversions, along with some single articles dealing with various BC transmitter issues.

I miss Derb.

klc

What? Me worry?
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 07:15:50 AM »

ER had a 4 or 5 part series dealing with BC conversions, along with some single articles dealing with various BC transmitter issues.

I miss Derb.

klc
Me too. That was my JN days getting to know the Baltimore Md. guys and Tim was working in a Radio repair/restoring shop. It was like heaven. Cabinet maker worked there, Tim did the electronics. He gave me a super deal on a pair of NEW RCA 810's for an outboard modulator I was building for a T368 TX.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015