The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:45:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K3ZRF Valiant II  (Read 23046 times)
WA4JK

« on: June 29, 2013, 08:02:24 AM »

I have Dave's Valiant II, but Doug did not know the whereabouts of any paperwork on it's mods. I'm going to ask those who may have obtained some of his gear or paperwork to please look at it and if you happen to have any paperwork on this Valiant II please let me know. I would be glad to pay postage to get this back together with the rig.
If any of you know anything about what mods he did and could let me know, that would be very welcome. Thanks
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 12:14:16 PM »

I have Dave's other Valiant II which was modified extensively.

We took photos of your transmitter and I probably would have taken detailed photos of any obvious mods. I do not remember that rig having what looked like typical modifications.

There's a good sized folder here of Valiant II docs which came from Dave's stuff. I would be glad to help you figure out any missing information. Can you let me know what you are looking for? Is the transmitter working normally for you?

Dave W2VW
WA4JK

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 04:18:05 PM »

I'm in the process of building a new shack so I will not be able to test it for a while. This Valiant shows in the Pics supplied or seen from Doug an 8ohm input and as I could see a different modulation circuit. Door knobs for all high voltage rf output padding and coupling, Solid stating as well. Other than that I was hoping someone might have picked up his Valiant docs and they would alert me to what may have been done and I could trace it out. Thanks
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 10:06:01 PM »

Maybe I remember wrong which is certainly possible. The pix should show 2 different Valiant IIs. The one I have has no internal modulator at all and was externally modulated first by 811s and later a huge solid state deal. It also has no dial markings or lettering plus non standard color panel repaint.

Probably best to go to PM. I understand the delay due to your work.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 01:11:21 PM »

If it has an 8 ohm input that usually means it wants drive from an external Hi Fi amp.  Sometime folks use an audio output transformer backwards as an audio interstage transformer.  In that case the modulators and modulation transformer would still be utilized.  The other possibility is that a larger audio output transformer is used as a modulation transformer.  In that case all of the audio power would be supplied from an external amp with a 8 ohm output.  If you look inside, it should be clear which way Dave had done it.  Many years ago Dave had modified his original valiant with the upside down tube circuit in the RF compartment to achieve high positive peak asymmetrical modulation.  I don't think that is the one you have. 

All the other cap mods and such just seem like upgrades and you should not have to fuss with any of that. 

Joe, W3GMS       

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WA4JK

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 07:46:16 AM »

Now my question would be how it is setup, does it require 200W of amplfied input or 20W. As you can see in the attached Photo the 6146 modulators are still intact.

* Top inside 1.jpg (133.75 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 518 times.)
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:22:25 AM »

My Photobucket public account is still up and does have pictures so the rig was modified as you suspect.

The folders I have show a bunch of different setups over a lot of years.

Looks like you need drive power to the modulators from the pictures.

Let me look again at the folder to see if there is anything showing use of the factory modulators.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 09:01:28 PM »

Just finished reviewing the entire folder. Nothing about outboard driving 6146 modulators.

Probably not too difficult to figure out what was going on though. More pictures close up would help.

When you get it going we can have a 2 way ZRF surplus QSO.
WA3VJB
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 11:20:35 AM »

When you get it going we can have a 2 way ZRF surplus QSO.

I can send both you guys some MP3 of Dave on those transmitters, and you could recreate and have him talking to himself.

I believe that would generate some good karma, ya know ?
WA4JK

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 03:49:18 PM »

I would like to have them to save on my computer, I might patch one through the audio chain one day for old times.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 06:57:36 AM »

If you could take more pics of the chassis so we can see if the mic audio tubes are still in there and maybe some underside shots. This is a very simple design TX. There is a shield between the modulator tubes. That may be shielding the audio tubes and driver for the modulator. If they are still in their sockets, I would guess that the transmitter is ready to fire up.
If they have been removed, then the underside of the transmitter wiring will show that the drive for the grids of the 3ea 6146's will be a terminal strip on the back of the unit. Then you would go with a backwards connected audio output transformer hooked up to a 20-30 watt public address amplifier. I do not think Dave would have turned the transmitter into a thoughtless mess.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WA4JK

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 08:16:43 AM »

Oh no Fred, Dave did what was done on purpose and with great thought. I'm a drawing person, I don't like to guess at what was or might be, but in this case I'm close to having a limited understanding of what is. These are the pics.

* Vii 1.jpg (113.26 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 469 times.)
WA4JK

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 08:17:41 AM »

More

* Back bittoma.jpg (131.92 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 403 times.)

* back.jpg (163.49 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 427 times.)

* front.jpg (105.71 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 443 times.)
WA4JK

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 08:18:42 AM »

More

* modders.jpg (99.1 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 416 times.)

* RF deck 1.jpg (134.63 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 384 times.)

* RF deck 2.jpg (156.43 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 446 times.)
WA4JK

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 08:19:29 AM »

more

* solid state pwr.jpg (136.52 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 412 times.)

* Top inside 1.jpg (133.75 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 395 times.)

* under 1.jpg (113.26 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 412 times.)
WA4JK

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 08:25:11 AM »

more

Hope this helps. As best I can visualize the Audio is fed in at 8ohms into a backwards tranny feeding the modulators. The rest of the mods are common powersupply and padder cap mods. Now there may be some bias changes I haven't fully ferrited out but that will be determined as I go along. I should fire it up this weekend and see how it does. If only the bands would be a little more accomidating.
I'm going to use a SDR receiver but I have to work out the muting method. Do you guys using these just open the output to the speaker or the input mic connection as well. Also do you run the output of the computer directly to the speaker or run it into a channel of the audio chain and out to the speaker??

* Under 2.jpg (115.7 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 398 times.)

* Unknown.jpg (95.01 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 369 times.)

* Vii 1.jpg (113.26 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 399 times.)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2013, 10:11:03 AM »

The underside pictures are not very clear or bright. The AUDIO INPUT jack on the back of the TX gives us some hope.
You will have to trace those wires out and tell us where they go. If it's to a small to medium sized transformer, like the one I see marked 541 and some handwritten info. Trace the wires from that transformer and see if they head towards the three mod tubes.... THEN you would connect the output of an 8 ohm Public address amplifier or 8 ohm audio amp with a microphone mixer. An amplifier of this type needs a microphone input to properly match the microphone and give good audio response. Probably a 20-30 watt amp. You're not going to use all of that power, we are looking for something with 8 ohms out. But you still need a microphone input.
If that AUDIO IN goes to a tube socket THEN you would plug in a 1/4 inch phone plug with approx. 600 ohm microphone.

Fred KC4MOP
WA4JK

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 10:24:37 AM »

It is 8ohm audio in and here is the general drawing of what Dave did. So now I can relax because I understand what and how the Audio is fed. I am using a c1 into a mic amp, to a compressor/limitor into a Audio amp with digital EQ and out at 8ohms and supplying upto 75w. That ought to get this up and running.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 03:08:54 PM »

It is 8ohm audio in and here is the general drawing of what Dave did. So now I can relax because I understand what and how the Audio is fed. I am using a c1 into a mic amp, to a compressor/limitor into a Audio amp with digital EQ and out at 8ohms and supplying upto 75w. That ought to get this up and running.

Looks like you made some good progress.  To drive the grids of the 6146 you will need very little to drive them. 

I just got off the phone with Doug whom you bought the rig from.  What I was going to suggest is just to trace the secondary of the 8 ohm transformer, the high impedance side, and see if it goes to the grids of the 6146's or if its in series with the HV going to the final.  That would be a simple thing to do.  Now it looks like you have answered the question.  With going to the grids the bias voltage for the modulators is fed through the CT connection of the transformer so all three leads are used.   If it went to the HV in series with the final, only 2 leads of the transformer would be used.   

I would suggest you get a Valiant manual to see how to tune up the rig.  Its very simple but if you have not done it before it would provide the guidance.  Then after you get the carrier part right, then work on the audio set-up.  Should be a fun project!!

Joe, W3GMS

WA4JK

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 04:58:21 PM »

I had an original Valiant all stock back in the early days, All i did way work to keep it running and that was a learning experiance I miss. Looks like I found the drawings which match what is intact and now time to put the rest of the bench together and fire this up this weekend. Maybe the probigations gods will be kind and let me talk across the street.. Inverted Vee up at 70ft.
I'll be using my sdr ensemble II as a receiver, but I will need to build the T/R switch to drop the speaker out on transmit. I'll be pulling the relay out of an old amp with a base to see what I have to work with. If I don't have the parts I can always just manually unplug it from the computer.
I get a little worried about putting power to something I don't know or understand what has been modified from it's original design. But this ought to work out just fine.
Thanks for the input folks..
WA4JK

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 08:18:53 AM »

Anyone one have a nice Audio amp design for a computer soundcard input to a 8ohm output with about 10W of audio?? Or have a software link to design such a beast.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 06:40:05 AM »

Try looking at a ham fest for an old tube or solid state P.A. amp with a microphone input? You're almost there.
Goodwill or a Thrift shop might have surprises too.
A lot of people, thankfully, discard sometimes perfectly good items, or items that are vintage and worth a lot of money.
A friend of mine is making a killing going to Goodwill or Salvation Army and finding little gold mines of stuff that he can push for a profit on Amazon. Many steps above eBay.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WA4JK

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 10:37:37 AM »

Fianlly got power to the gig last night and it has no grid drive. Being I have no real Idea what the status of the mods are I'll be laying her over for a full hand over hans lookie and document what I find on the drawing. I'm not sure if this was a back-up work in progress or what, so only time will tell. This will take time of which I have very little free time to work with. Might be I'll do it when I retire projects.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »

The normal stuff you should be able to do quickly.  How about XTAL operation any grid drive.  If yes, then you know where to look.  Check DC voltages which could tell you quickly if that is the problem.  A lot of time its the simple stuff.  Tube condition??  If you have a scope, see where your loosing the signal.  In a very short time you should be able to see if its something simple.  Don't forget about the cam slipping on the rotary switch shaft. 

Joe, GMS 

WA4JK

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 01:25:17 PM »

Hey W2VW would it be posible to get a copy of what you have so I can see where this Valiant might be in evolution of modification?? Electronic would be fine. Looks like the tracing will begin.

No crystals so no operation, but the VFO works fine with both Osc and Buff and I listened to it on the receiver. I'll have to look futher down the path and majke sure the jumpers are in the proper place and so forth. I got a heck of a dc shock working on an amp four years back, almost got to meet the gate keeper. So I'll be nervious as a nun in a %*(_ well you get the picture.
Funny I used to work on T3's and such in the military and have an instrument degree and I'm still poop'in my drawers everytinme I probe something with power on it. Guess you never get over that after the big ZAAAAPPPP.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015