The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:27:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One 11N90 or IRFP260N MOSFET mobile amp?  (Read 3419 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: June 11, 2013, 07:24:50 PM »

A couple of years ago a few guys were experimenting with one and two MOSFET (11N90 or IRFP260N ) mobile amps.  

I need a simple one MOSFET  IPA that will take a few watts from my ricebox and bring it up to ~40 watts of carrier to drive my class C  4-1000A rig. The ricebox is being overtaxed. Does anyone have a working circuit and pictures of these very simple mobile amps?

A 24V class C design for a single MOSFET will do the trick.  I am talking maybe 100w pep max needed.  It can be class C  and without filtering cuz the 4X1 grid tank and plate tank will filter out any crud.

Hopefully it can be small, like 3" X 3", to fit right inside the 4X1 rig.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KK4YY
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 02:07:03 PM »

Tom,

Your request reminded me of this article I read a while back:
http://www.golddredgervideo.com/kc0wox/wa2ebyamp/amppart1.pdf
Is that what you were looking for?

-Don
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »

Tom,
I have something that may be of interest.  It's a single transistor. About 2w in and about 40w out. I believe it is class C. Can't remember if its a FET or BJT. It uses transmission line transformers. It didn't use coax as the transformer but twisted pair. I have to do some digging but it's a solid little rig. Came from an ARRL pub and was powered by 12v vice 24V.  I still have the amp but I don't know about the paperwork. It might have gotten displaced in the move here 12+ years ago. Can't remember what pub it came from. Could have been from one of their older Solid State Design books. I might be able to reverse engineer it with pics.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 11:03:44 PM »

Thanks for the info, guys.  I'll bet either of your ideas would work.

In the meantime, I pulled out an old CCI  quad MRF-150 MOSFET linear amp board I have. (EB-104)  It is good for 600 watts at 50V, 160-10M.   It has one blown FET, but with three it is still putting out about 20dB of gain.   With a sig gen and 12V  I saw about 15 watts.  This thing is mounted on a copper spreader and I may add a small fan. So, 40 watts shud be no problem.  Still messing with it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015