The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 11:52:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shack Singularities  (Read 9093 times)
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« on: May 19, 2013, 10:51:27 AM »

Black Holes......

Now I am frustrated. There must be a micro-singularity here in the Mad Scientist Lab. Things that are dropped on the floor stand a good chance of disappearing. It's a wonder I'm not dead from hard x-rays/gamma emitted as the dropped items die on their way into the tiny black hole.

I can't find my Dow Key. I can't find my solder station iron stand/pad. I can't find the pitch antenna for my classic theremin. These are not tiny screws or washers.

Oh, the Inhumanity of it ALL (anguished at high volume)!!!

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 12:54:20 PM »

Yes the Black Hole! I have lost things on my work area only to be discovered their whereabouts upon review of digital photos taken for another project. Now, I  often review my photos to see what has moved or for rediscovery Grin Grin Grin 

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 07:59:14 PM »

They return via the Twilight Zone.
Or two weeks later, when you don't need it.

Fred KC4MOP
KD0HUX

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 10:20:49 PM »

They return via the Twilight Zone.
Or two weeks later, when you don't need it.
   you 2 Huh
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 10:28:49 PM »

Yes the Black Hole! I have lost things on my work area only to be discovered their whereabouts upon review of digital photos taken for another project. Now, I  often review my photos to see what has moved or for rediscovery Grin Grin Grin 

Almost sounds like you should install a security camera in your shack just so you have recorded evidence of where you moved things too.  Grin

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 10:00:36 AM »

...and when you lose the camera's video DVD, tape or whatever.?

Yes, the hall of mirrors;
-infinite reflections.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KK4YY
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 04:34:59 PM »

* nodowkey.jpg (61.9 KB, 285x348 - viewed 362 times.)
kf4qkr

Old Buzzard AM

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 04:39:04 PM »

It happens to me all the time when I am working on something.It doesnt matter if it is large or small.It will fall into the black hole and its gone.Sometimes it will reapear in a couple of weeks up to a couple of years and sometimes it never comes back.I think its some kind of interdimentional travel or something.

Mike
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 05:28:47 PM »

yep, buy something for a future project and poof.  Buy another one and weeks/months later the other appears in a different spot.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KB3WFV

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 06:16:27 PM »

yep, buy something for a future project and poof.  Buy another one and weeks/months later the other appears in a different spot.

or is that the original one?... and the new one has been sucked in to the balck hole ?

The rule around my shack ... if you can not find it buy another one ... then the first one reapears. If you want to find a use for it sell it.... then you will have a need for it.

KB3WFV
K9PNP

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 06:27:04 PM »

Even big things like power transformers are not immune from these happenings.  My 3KV CT one showed up where I thought it was, but was unable to find it there earlier.  I believe that 'singularity' is an appropriate term.  And here I thought it was early senility showing up.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 07:59:43 PM »

My stuff returns about the time the new replacement item has been used for a week and I can't return it.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 08:28:55 PM »

If we live long enough, the day will come when we walk into the shack and wonder what the heck all this stuff is for. Everything is there but becomes a singularity anyway.  That's when we've really joined the OT club.     Wink  

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w1vtp

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 09:03:18 PM »

I was going to take a picture of my work bench but couldn't find the camera.  It's in there somewhere  Grin
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 10:12:15 PM »

The typical shack is an event horizon. It seems like things enter but never leave.

For every black hole, a white hole deposits the missing items in unseen places, to be discovered later in photos.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WA8RVD

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 09:13:08 AM »

My old eyes can no longer see below my knees!  If I get down on all fours (in order to see the floor) then I can't get back up! I have no idea what's down there!
Mike/WA8RVD
N4zed

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 04:02:07 AM »

And while I'm looking for the item...I find the one I was looking for last week only to forget what I was looking for this time. Huh

Ken<br />N4zed
KA2DZT

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 09:36:37 PM »

This thread can't be any closer to the truth.  I thought I was the only one with this problem.  It's amazing how something will hit the floor never to be seen again.  I even have rugs on the floor to help keep things from bouncing and rolling away.  Nothing works, and you're right, looking for one thing usually turns up the thing that hit the floor last week.

I don't get it, but that's why I keep at least 1000 of every part I have.

Fred
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 10:41:17 PM »

And if you ever do find the item, it's well after you need it.
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 12:04:39 PM »

So this may sound a little strange but I want to see if it may actually work.

Most of you are probably like me. I lose something and assume my not being able to find it is my fault. I tend to put things in rationally logical places. That is to say I do not put tubes with my gardening equipment. So if looking for an 811A I don't look where the mower, rotor-tiller etc. is at. I look around where I put tubes.

Now what is noticed here in this thread is that things somehow disappear. I don't like to think that is true.....But what if it is? Many have noticed that looking and looking for something doesn't work UNTIL you go and buy another.........suddenly it shows up.

What if the rational way of looking for something doesn't always work? Is there maybe another way to do this?

I have been looking for an Alliance HD-73 rotor I know I own for several months, and can't find it. It's in perfect shape and I don't want to buy another rotor and then have it show up. I could tear apart my entire house.....and I'm sure eventually I'd find it ( or maybe not?).

So I want you to tell me where it is. That may sound crazy, but we are all connected, and maybe you can see something I'm blind to.

My house in Colorado has 3 levels, a walk out basement, main floor, and upper level with my office and shack. I also have a shed with basement, main floor and attic, and a small outside storage shed.

Tell me where you think the HD-73 rotor is. It makes no difference where I may have put it I've already looked there. Just tell me what comes into your mind....it's on the main floor........it's outside........whatever you come up with.

This makes no sense.....but then again making sense hasn't found my HD-73.

Thanks!

AMI #20, GACW #786
KA2DZT

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 12:12:46 PM »

Did you look on the roof, maybe you already used it on some antenna you forgot you have.

Fred
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2013, 12:21:27 PM »

It's still in one of your vehicles behind the front seat buried under some old coats that you didn't find the time to hang up Grin Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
WA3VJB
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2013, 02:33:42 PM »

My house in Colorado has 3 levels, a walk out basement, main floor, and upper level with my office and shack. I also have a shed with basement, main floor and attic, and a small outside storage shed.

Tell me where you think the HD-73 rotor is.

Did you look under the stairs? That's where our water filtration and softener tanks live, along with other items that have gotten "put away" when company comes to visit.
KL7OF

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2013, 06:59:27 PM »

check the dog house
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015