The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:27:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna rope = 1 Lawn tractor = 0  (Read 16706 times)
w1vtp

« on: May 18, 2013, 01:34:48 PM »

Dang!  Just got my 28 year old Craftsman 14 HP tractor back from the shop - it was running really great.  I did the front "20"  Great results.  Did part of the back 40 YEAH!  So today, I was going to finish up by doing the "burial mound" my leaching field (no longer used).  Full engine ahead and then instant stall.  Yup!  Somehow my 3/8th" antenna rope got snagged and wound itself around both blades.  I could not free the cord even with a fresh xacto blade so back to the shop it goes.  Anyone need some hay?  Maybe some free 3/8ths dacron rope thrown in

Sigh!
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 01:46:49 PM »

All I can say is OOPS!!!  Huh

I'm surprised you couldn't cut the rope off the blade somehow.  Hey, we've all done it!!  At least it was just the rope and not the FEEDLINE!

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
w1vtp

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 01:52:26 PM »

I'm surprised you couldn't cut the rope off the blade somehow.  Hey, we've all done it!!  At least it was just the rope and not the FEEDLINE!

I tried!  That rope is really tuff stuff.  You also know of another problem - my eyesight.  I just couldn't see well enough to keep at the job + this 76 year old bod  could stay down there on the ground only so long.  That xacto blade was very sharp - ask my right pinkie about that
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 01:56:38 PM »

I've hit a feedline - twice! You'd think I'd pay more attention after the first time, but  nooooo.....

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 02:03:16 PM »

I tried!  That rope is really tuff stuff.  You also know of another problem - my eyesight.  I just couldn't see well enough to keep at the job + this 76 year old bod  could stay down there on the ground only so long.  That xacto blade was very sharp - ask my right pinkie about that

If we leave the Island early enough on Sunday, I'll stop by and have a look.   But, it depends on what time we do leave, and that's a real variable around here.  Sherrie generally decides, and I say those two little words that help keep the bliss in marital bliss - "yes dear"  Wink

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 02:35:23 PM »

Burn that rope off with a propane torch Al. Just stay away from the fuel tank!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 02:38:39 PM »

A,

These things happen. I just got finished extracting my chainsaw from a maple sucker. Fun times with a bow saw.

Loppers work for rope and barbed wire.

klc

What? Me worry?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 04:51:20 PM »

My first dog (wire-hair terrier) use to like to chew on the coax feedline that laid on the ground. Also, more then once, chopped the coax up with the lawn mower.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KA2DZT

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 06:43:11 PM »

Al,

Where was the mower when you hit the rope??  You weren't trying to mow branches off the trees??  I know your eyesight in not 100%

If you have extra rope on your lines, you should always bundle it up and hang it on the tree.  Otherwise, keep it off the ground.

Fred
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 07:49:30 PM »

And don't run with scissors.
w1vtp

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »

The rope was shot into a tree a couple of years ago.  It was tied off but somehow it got undone.  I usually do a walkthrough to check for such things but nooo! not this time.

The plan was to jack the front of the tractor up (I have a jack for it) and then hack away / unwind until I freed up the rope. I have the jack and a couple of jackstands to avoid the beast falling on me but I just don't have the strength in the hands nor the eyesight for the task.  My previous accident was with a garden hose about 10 years ago - that wasn't a problem except the hose ended up being a bit leaky after that  Grin

I gotta say that rope is VERY TOUGH.  I think you could tow a car with it  The perils of summer projects
KA2DZT

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 08:43:50 PM »

Al,

OK FB, the whole thing is now making sense.  I get it, the rope was on the ground.  I wasn't real clear on the whole event, but now I see what happened.

Anyways, best not to mess with the thing if you feel you're not up to the task.  Steve mentioned possible stopping by Sunday to take a look at it (read his post).

Fred
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 08:44:43 PM »

I had that happen with black plastic netting to prevent deer from eating shrubs and stuff.  You'd be amazed how fast a lawn machine can eat that stuff. Now you see it, now you don't. Poof.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 08:49:21 PM »

Rob W1AEX

Yep, that's my vote too.  That torch will melt away your blues and save a trip to the repair shop.  Once melted, the rope will peal off easily using a large set of dykes.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 11:33:23 PM »

Rob W1AEX

Yep, that's my vote too.  That torch will melt away your blues and save a trip to the repair shop.  Once melted, the rope will peal off easily using a large set of dykes.

T

I'd worry about setting fire to any lubricating grease .....

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 07:41:23 AM »

The first or second cutting of the season brings on these mishaps to our antennas.
I'm going out today to regain control of my vertical antenna field, without snagging, entangling the vinyl fencing, used for the radials. The weeds are covering the tuner box for 17M. I better wear my mud boots whilst walking around. Snakes, poison ivy, always possible. I wish I had the $$ to lay down landscaping paper and that fine blue gravel. That would look nice!!
And AL God Bless ya 76 and doing FB OM. Keep moving and working. NEVER start that TV thing.

Fred KC4MOP
w1vtp

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 11:25:22 AM »

<SNIP>

And AL God Bless ya 76 and doing FB OM. Keep moving and working. NEVER start that TV thing.

My Old Man used to say: "Keep moving or they'll throw dirt on you!"  

For now I can consider my lawn having a Mohegan hair cut  Grin
WA2OLZ
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 12:05:21 PM »

Got that T-Shirt, not once but three times!

The only way I could get it (5/16 parachute 550 cord) was to remove the blades, cut a bit at a time and curse a lot.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 12:59:59 PM »

Note to all, In all cases when working with these machines, disconnect the spark plug wires! If you think this is unnecessary, run your video camera so we can see the carnage. Post to YouTube please. 

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 01:22:23 PM »

Note to all, In all cases when working with these machines, disconnect the spark plug wires! If you think this is unnecessary, run your video camera so we can see the carnage. Post to YouTube please.  

Please explain, Terry...

I can understand we may be turning the blades (motor) when removing them...  Is the risk from a dieseling effect with no ignition switch on?  Or maybe a faulty ignition switch that is intermittent?

What is your main concern other than losing a few quarts of blood?    Shocked

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 01:45:59 PM »

"
What is your main concern other than losing a few quarts of blood? "

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 01:51:52 PM »

Most older push mowers have no ignition switch. Newer ones have one integrated into the push handle, so the motor stops as soon as you leave go of the handle.
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 02:04:47 PM »

All the more reason to go with ELECTRIC Mowers.. Check this video out..
Enjoy the ride Al!  Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UuWpf4oUNU

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »

Yep, that's my vote too.  That torch will melt away your blues and save a trip to the repair shop.  Once melted, the rope will peal off easily using a large set of dykes.

T

I'd worry about setting fire to any lubricating grease .....

Hmmm.... usually large dykes and lubricating grease get along quite well.

---------

Jeff, that mower ending was just too insane to be scripted, no?  Grin

Did he plug into a 240 outlet by accident?

T

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 02:32:28 PM »

that was insane. you can see the motor arc on startup. but what surprises me is the traction that thing had to pull a grown man.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015