The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:30:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does this look right?  (Read 3709 times)
KC2TAU

« on: April 30, 2013, 01:59:12 PM »

I'm finishing up the second stage of rebuilding the power supply for my ART-13. So far I've added new HV capacitors, new LV transformer, filter and bleeder network and also have done some general housekeeping. It seems that I did not take a picture of the original configuration of the LV filter/rectification network and so I went off of the schematic that came with the supply. Before I fire it up does everything in the photo below look wired properly?

To make it easier to understand there are five terminals on each terminal strip. On the left terminal strip, starting from the top, the connections are:

1) Ground end of bleeder network and jumper connected to terminal 3 (ground)
2) Secondary of LV transformer, rectifier diodes connect here
3) Ground (terminal 1 connects to this)
4) Secondary of LV transformer, rectifier diodes connect here

On the right terminal strip, starting from the top, the connections are:

1) Positive side of filter cap network, LV voltage output feed going to rear panel (orange wire), jumper wire connecting to bleeder network (red wire)
2) LV choke, rectifier diodes connect here
3) Ground, negative side of filter cap network and rectifier diodes connect here
4) Bleeder network connected to terminal 1 (via red wire)

Image:

http://imageshack.us/a/img819/2627/dsc01401mz.jpg

Schematic:

http://imageshack.us/a/img39/7402/powersupply.jpg
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 02:29:13 PM »

Well in this case if it were me building the PS, I would use a variac to power the primary so that you can see the output from start up to full voltage. 

Or maybe a 60 watt bulb in series with the above xformer. What will be the value of your fuse? Even though it's a rudimentary circuit, no point in frying something.........

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KC2TAU

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 02:41:31 PM »

I'm not sure what the fuse value is. My concern was more in regards to my wiring as shown in the picture. I believe it matches that of the schematic but I wasn't entirely sure hence my asking. I didn't take a photo of the original configuration and so I was going off of the schematic.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 03:39:53 PM »

Well you can work it backwards if you know what the PS will draw at the HV side and work up you fuse value from there. Use a fuse that will just do the job. I have had transformers blow out and smoke by someone using too large a fuse. I would suggest using a slow blow fuse. perhaps a 1/2 amp fuse would be enough?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KC2TAU

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 03:41:29 PM »

Right. The fuse seems fine so far. As I had mentioned I'm more concerned of whether or not my wiring (shown in the photo) matches that of the schematic.
KC2TAU

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 12:07:51 AM »

I managed to get everything running this even though I was thrown off for a while due to a pair of faulty DVM probes. Tomorrow I'll do an extended unloaded burn in before bringing it home to try on the rig. I'll try posting a few photos of the entire supply as well.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 06:27:00 AM »

It took a little while to flip screens to see your schematic, the picture of wires and your description of the terminals, but it looks ok. If you have a variac that always helps when there are questions. And start with a low ampere fuse. I do not know what is called for in the schematic.

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015