The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:09:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WMRN Transmitter Room c. 1942  (Read 24392 times)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« on: April 14, 2013, 04:31:23 PM »

Fresh out of Dodge Radio Institute, Valparaiso Indiana, my dad Paul W8VVS went to work for WMRN, Marion Ohio, 1941 - 1942.  He was on duty when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and the news came over the Teletypes.  
* I believe the chief engineer of WMRN at the time was Bob Morrison W8QYU.

Today I came across three glossy 8 x 10 photographs of the station.  Attached is a photo of the transmitter room which I thought many of you would love to see:

* 04/18/13 addition - de Doug WA3DSP, Reply #20:

"Tom asked me to post a high resolution scan (5.6 Mb) of this photo to my website. It is available at

http://www.crompton.com/hamradio/AWA/bohlander_paul2_bio.htm

I added the photo to a bio that I had for Paul.  The WMRN photo is at the end. Just click on it and then save the high resolution print."

* wmrn control c1941.jpg (371.29 KB, 3012x2436 - viewed 894 times.)

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 04:38:20 PM »

Just super!

My kind of place. Cheesy

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »

Tom,
Thanks for posting the great picture of WMRN where you Dad Paul worked.  I can just see him fine tuning that great RCA transmitter. 
Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 07:56:09 PM »

I bet they wore starched shirt and tie to work and smoked like the devil in that non-air conditioned room.
An RA 1000? RCA had a similar copy with a slightly different arrangement of meters.

Fred KC4MOP
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 08:03:49 PM »

I bet they wore starched shirt and tie to work and smoked like the devil in that non-air conditioned room.
An RA 1000? RCA had a similar copy with a slightly different arrangement of meters.

And EEs all used two initials followed by last name.

FB pix Tom!
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 08:41:19 PM »

Nope, Fred.  All RCA there.

73DG

WA3VJB
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 09:25:58 PM »

Thanks for posting that shot, Tom,

Same board I'm using here. Had one of the racks, too.

Beautiful logo.

* DSC08153.jpg (788.1 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 687 times.)

* DSC02111.jpg (584.82 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 591 times.)
KA2DZT

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 09:56:02 PM »

Paul,

I had part of one of those RCA consoles, front panel and chassis.  I parted it out.  Mine had two Vu meter.  All the xfmrs were in it along with the tubes, levers switches, attenuators with the mushroom knobs.  I bought it from Rutgers University.  Have no idea how it came to be in that condition or even what Rutgers was doing with it.

Mine, I think, was a little younger than yours as it had 9 pin tubes. 

Fred
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 06:23:06 AM »

Then Raytheon (RA 1000) was the copy of the transmitter in the picture?
RCA was the bully in the radio world and caused a lot of grief to innovators and inventors.

Fred KC4MOP
WA3VJB
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 07:55:33 AM »

I had part of one of those RCA consoles, front panel and chassis.

Hey Fred, they're a lot more common than I thought when I first got this one in 2005.

Yours is actually the more famous, since the "two meter" kind was identical to the one used at Sun Records during the early Elvis Presley sessions. 

I've got octal tubes, right. Didn't know there was a version with miniature tubes. Wonder if it may have been converted to cut mechanical noise. The octal tubes could be very microphonic, and each pre-amp chassis was mounted to the mainframe with soft rubber grommets. I've put silicone replacements in there to good effect.

I also have the original paperwork when the station bought and accepted it back in 1948.  It's seen a lot of use but it feels like you're flying an aeroplane with all that bakelite & metal.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 09:57:03 AM »

Fred, it's an RCA rig, that's all.  No one is trying to claim it is anything else.  Love the old meatball logo.   Those old boards were really built.  (Like everything else back then.)  Probably had huge w.w. pots.  No noise on those.   I'm sure we'd all like to have everything in that tx room photo.  I see what appears to be the station ticket on the left wall. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
N0BST

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 11:55:14 AM »

Yep- the transmitter is a BTA 250L, or 250K (just slightly different paint colors.)  In the left rack I can see an old GR phase monitor- the upper part is the crystal oven and the unit below it shows the actual deviation.  Below that is an RCA 66A modulation monitor.

Not sure what all is in the right hand rack, though the piece with the meter on it is most likely a BA-86 limiter amp.

Scott Todd
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 12:03:23 PM »

Look at the wall moulding on the left side of the racks.  Is that a hidden door to the directors office?  Or the "don't let it hit you in the back, Your Fired !" door?  Shades of the "Oval Office."  

I just love old hires B&W pixes of this stuff. You can almost read the print on those certificates.

Oh, I see now.  The racks are sunk into the wall and that door probably leads to the cloak room behind them for cable access and stuff.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KA2DZT

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 12:36:32 PM »

Paul,

As I remember,  The front panel on the one I had was flat black al. don't remember that curvature along the top.  It was a mike mixer that accepted 7 mics as it had 7 mic input xfmrs.  It also had many other inter-stage type xfmrs.  All of them were made by UTC for RCA.  Had a UTC LS style output xfmr.  The unit had many step level controls of various sizes.  These controls were made by Langevin, very high quality,  I use them in my rigs for audio level.

The unit used all 12AY7s, low noise dual triodes.  Output tubes were missing along with the power xfmr.  It also had a number of step dB attenuators along with some lever switches like yours, but don't remember the push buttons switches.  I still have all the parts and pieces, I check for the push buttons switches.

I use one of the lighted Vu meters in my AM xmtr.  I think the meters were made by Simpson.  I still have all the wiring that was removed from the chassis.  Typical ham, we save everything.

Fred

I do have one bank of push button switches that came from the RCA mixer.
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 01:19:11 PM »

Here is a shot of Mike Dorrough KO6NM, back in '63 sitting at the mighty Western Electric 25B mixer.

The best mixer ever built, IMO.

73DG

* Emperor Prod b 1963.jpg (276.76 KB, 1962x1458 - viewed 702 times.)

W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 01:26:08 PM »

A few more:

73DG

* KCUB 67.jpg (73.56 KB, 1005x857 - viewed 606 times.)

* G E Mixer at Hollywood studio 1964.jpg (81.87 KB, 1124x828 - viewed 698 times.)

* Pete, Rom & Mike the Dodge Drag Beat 69.jpg (464.51 KB, 2894x2055 - viewed 680 times.)

Jeff W9GY

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 06:40:54 PM »

Interesting.  A local OT and friend John, W9BYN, also attended radio school in Valparaiso, Indiana in 1941.  He ended up doing communications work for the Army during WWII.  John is 91 now, still getting around and active on the bands.

I used WE 25B boards at a TV and a radio station during the mid-60's.  Bet there aren't many around anywhere these days.

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 07:12:48 PM »

Hi Jeff,

After about a year at WMRN, my father got an instructor job back at Dodge Radio Institute because Dodge obtained a government contract to train U.S Army personnel.  My dad taught Morse code and radio theory courses, military traffic procedures, operation of Army field equipment, etc. 

A legend in your area, Stan Surber W9NZZ became an instructor there also on that contract.  After that contract dried up my father was hired by Philco as a field service technician on radar as part of a Navy contract to get experienced knowledgeable radio technicians out to the field to support the new Navy technology.  This group was called the Air Contingency Group (ACG) and later became known as NAESU, which I think still exists today.  The Army had a similar program.

While I was in the Air Force, in 1971, and stationed at Chanute AFB, I traveled to Kokomo, Onward,  and Peru (pee-roo) to visit my ham friend Doug WA3DSP who was stationed at Bunker Hill AFB at the time (which was renamed Grissom AFB after the Apollo capsule fire).  I met Stan twice, once in Feb. 1971 and then later that summer when my parents came out and we all visited Stan and Doug again.  Stan was still working for the railroad and he took us on tour of a control tower.  I remember driving past the big Delco plant in Kokomo.  Doug WA3DSP is active here on the Forum.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 07:39:20 PM »

Awesome photos! Like Rick said, the rez on those B&W shots is great.

A few more:

73DG
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 10:51:15 PM »

The shot of the Schlitz can in the studio brings back fond memories of the early 80s. The console was a badly mauled Collins 212B (it actually showed up at NEAR-Fest a few years back and I bought it) instead of the Gates, and the beer was something else equally cheap, Rolling Rock perhaps. A particular memory involved friends stopping in for a visit, running out of beer, putting on a 20 min Opus Magnum by Kansas and a rapid ride to the town General store while listening to make sure the stylus didn't get stuck. Not saying that the station was unmanned, mind you.

The remarkable thing about the photo of ol' No Money is that on the air now he sounds just like he looks in that pic!  Cheesy

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
wa3dsp

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 10:57:09 PM »

Tom asked me to post a high resolution scan of this photo to my website. It is available at

http://www.crompton.com/hamradio/AWA/bohlander_paul2_bio.htm

I added the photo to a bio that I had for Paul.  The WMRN photo is at the end. Just click on it and then save the high resolution print.
WA3VJB
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 02:09:23 AM »

Tom asked me to post a high resolution scan of this photo...

Thanks ! 

What a great shot.

Noticing stuff like the pen holder next to the little RCA desk mic, and I can see there's one pot up but the channel's not keyed, and that the transmitter Plate switch is off. Geez!

Really appreciate you and Tom posting this material.
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 08:18:52 AM »

Hi Tom, Yeh for some reason the locals call Peru, Indiana Pee-roo,  Go figure.  Didn't know your friend at Bunker Hill (Grissom) AFB, but I knew a few others.  A group a well qualified electronics folks came out of there and were hired by Delco in those years.  One of those (a non-ham) worked in our department (radio design) for many years. 

Interestingly, the budget cuts now threaten the closure of the Grissom control tower (also the tower at Gary. In. which is pretty vital for Chicago air control).

Thanks for the info on Valpo.  I'll provide info to John, W9BYN, and see what he remembers of those years.  Jeff

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 09:05:14 AM »

Concerning the hires pix, what is that below the chair? A Sola constant voltage xformer or something similar?   That wooden seat looks awfully hard for DJ service.
Anyone still have the 16 in. Advert platters with a zillion tracks and do you play them?
Would be be fun at a fester.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 07:43:08 PM »

Rick,

I think that you are looking at the chair's back mechanism.

When I have time, I will scan in the other 2 8x10's of the station.  One is an outside view of the whole building, and the other is an inside view showing studio rooms.

The 5.6 Mb high res transmitter photo available on Doug's website (link listed in a post above) - If you zoom in on the RCA transmitter meters you can make out most of the words under the meter bezels.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015